Personal View site logo
Edius 11 and older versions, fast video editor
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • "It is still fastest H.264 editor. Quick and quite efficient." Fasted, but killing image quality! Image quality lower by...

• @v10tdi

Thanks, posted in deals and separate topic.

• Edius Pro 8 Home Edition is on sale until the end of July. Non-commercial use, not upgradable to v9, but ~$200 cheaper. Perhaps a candidate for the deals in other places thread?

https://www.edius.shop/order.html

• Edius was the fastest and best installation software! It was the concept of Edius - quickly and efficiently! Now - the quality is below the baseboard, from the introspection remained the legend!

It is still fastest H.264 editor. Quick and quite efficient.

What is up with quality?

• I said the concept. Edius was the fastest and best installation software! It was the concept of Edius - quickly and efficiently! Now - the quality is below the baseboard, from the introspection remained the legend!

• @VVV1151

Comment is extremely strange.

Edius team is same from beginning and Japanese based.

Edius is fast and fluid, highly capable program.

• Edius (the concept) was killed when Thomson bought it from Canopus. Remind me, was it version 3 or 4?

This was my favorite editing program! Once upon a Time... Before Thompson :( !

Grass Valley :/ - RIP Edius!

• @alcomposer

They won't.

http://www-en.ediusworld.com/about/calendar/

Looking at calendar they look half dead.

• Hmm, wonder if Grass Valley will be showing Edius at SMPTE 2017?

• Edius will get support for AMD and NVidia GPUs considering decoding and encoding (besides QuickSync it has now), see more

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16941/encoders-in-nles-and-gpu-support

How soon - I have no idea.

• Edius 8 available for download, including trial - http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_pro_8

• Edius 8

Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, is launching EDIUS 8, the latest version of its editing platform designed for production and broadcast news. Version 8 features multiple new capabilities, including refreshed GUI, Canon XF-AVC support, a new workflow clip management tool, accelerated 4K H.264 playback and an aggressive development program to introduce many new creative tools over the coming months.

“Speed and flexibility are critical for editing, and with EDIUS you can always be confident of being able to deal with virtually any type of content that comes your way,” said Mike Cronk, senior vice president of strategic marketing, Grass Valley. “With EDIUS 8 users will receive free updates and new functionality throughout; it’s a smart investment business-wise and creatively.”

EDIUS offers best-in-class camera support to allow editors to concentrate on the story, not the technology. Plus, EDIUS 8 is the first nonlinear editing system to support Canon’s recently announced XF-AVC video format which is at the heart of the new 4K XC10 camcorder. EDIUS 8 also includes a new GV browser tool to manage video and still image content on your PC, prior to importing into EDIUS for editing.

EDIUS delivers exceptional performance using Intel’s Quick Sync Video—providing editors with super-fast H.264 export capabilities—great for dealing with smartphone footage and repurposing for uploads to social media channels, including YouTube—and amazing playback, even when editing 4K material.

EDIUS 8 will be available in two versions, EDIUS Pro and EDIUS Workgroup. EDIUS Pro is targeted at production professionals looking for flexible editing that offers speed and the ability to handle any file format with a range of creative tools. EDIUS Workgroup is aimed at collaborative news and sports editing for broadcasters, and can be fully integrated with the GV STRATUS video production and content management system, or other third-party media asset management tools and server offerings.

EDIUS Pro 8 and EDIUS Workgroup 8 will ship towards the end of June 2015.

• I downloaded the free 31 day trial. FWIW, here are my impressions. First of all, the entire audio subsystem is junk. If you rely on audio, you can forget this. The waveforms are unreadable and inaccurate, and it does not support basic ASIO, it routs ASIO through the Windows Mixer. Ack. Does not handle pulldown correctly for AVCHD files. Neither does Premiere, but annoying nonetheless. Output for render is touted to be fast. It isn't. Render Quality is fine, and colors and blacks and so on seem to be handled correctly. There were things I liked about the program, basic cutting is very simple and direct. Also, at the output stage you have access to some advanced features that are hidden in Premiere. Unfortunately, the audio is a real deal breaker, and the mercury engine overall is just better than the Edius engine.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, HitFilm2 looks very interesting, I'll give it a shot.

So far for the After Effects intergration I am using the Canopus HQ codec. Importing-exporting through programs, it's a pain in the ass, but the files are relatively small to work with. I am using the AE for titles, tracking objects and sometimes some color correction.

In Edius there is a way to import some After Effects filters and plug-ins, like magic bullet Looks, Colorista, Mojo, NewBlue Effects and others. Plug-ins must be for 32bit and previous editions of AE (CS4,CS3).

• Yes, it has the fastest AVCHD editing out there. Never had a problem with files, you trow at it whatever file your camera output and just edit it!

• Anyone try the R/T AVCHD editing?

On 6.5, it's as fast as an intra codec, which is very fast (on Edius). The main demerit of Edius is too few filters and restricted third-party plug-in support. But for the editing engine alone, it's great.

• I have tried & worked on any NLE software until today (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Avid, Pinnacle, Sony Vegas, Autodesk Smoke, Lightworks) and I always return to Grass Valley Edius. I've been following edius since version 4. It was always more responsive, more efficient, less bugs and faster editing with all media files support. I still haven't tried extensive the Premiere CC and Avid Media Composer 7, till then I am using edius. The only thing I envy is the intergration of After Effects in Adobe Suite programs.

• @subco

Seems like it is not an issue for any modern computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

• Anyone try the R/T AVHCH editing?