Personal View site logo
Issues with 3570k ivy bridge processor and Z77 / B75 motherboards
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • @apefos

Check KMPlayer.com player, and test playback using it, as it has build in codec. Check also it's parameters.

If it'll be still playback issues on original system, go to hardware shop as I said.

Forums are absolutely wrong place to solving this issues.

• Ok, will do that, not now, but in the correct moment.

For now I can work with one memory module. After 23 minutes playback video freezes but audio keep play. I hit stop and play again and video start playback again, so problem got small and system does not freeze as before.

It is possible to work for now and no delay due to this.

thanks all posts.

• Sometimes when you change motherboards and processors, the operating system doesn't fully adjust to the new hardware. I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows and all of your software and drivers. If you have a spare hard drive to use for the new install, that would be ideal. That way you can keep your current operating system intact.

• After reading all advices in this topic I found I did everything I could do except the memory upgrade.

I was using a cheap Markvision 2x4gb memory in dual channel without the XMP certification, so before take the PC to the shop I decided to give a try in memory upgrade.

I got a Kingston Hyper X memory kit in 12 small monthly payments. It is XMP certified and also certified by ASUS and ASROCK motherboards, so I believe memory will be no problem anymore.

Starting tests now to see how the system will performs...

• The kingston memory made the system more stable. It does not chash anymore. Sometimes the timeline playback freezes in a dissolve, but audio and timecode still play. I stop playback and start playback again and system works, no need to restart editing software or the computer anymore.

I disabled the Mercury Playback Engineering and the freezing problem just disappear. I am using a GT240 zotac zone edition PCIE 2.0 This card worked flawless in the Q8400 quad core. It seems it does not work good in the Ivy Bridge platform. Maybe a PCIE 3.0 600 series will solve the problem, GT640 or GTX650 or GTX650Ti.

• So I got the Gigabyte GTX650Ti 2GB 1033MHZ and together with the Certified Kingston memory now the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 + 3570K system is more stable, but I still get the video playback freezing problem, but no computer crash/lock.

In time line with two layers with a long dissolve or a 50% opacity, sometimes the video freezes and the audio keep playing. So I just hit the space bar and stop play and the video frame update to the current frame in timeline, so I hit space bar again and playback starts again. There is no system crash/lock and no need to restart editing software or reset computer to playback again. This is good improvement in system performance.

I decided to give a try to a Sandy Bridge 1155 processor, so I got a cheap used Core i3-2120 to do tests. For my surprise it works with the cheap generic DDR3 memory and with the GT240 cheap GPU without any freezing in video playback! So I started to think the Ivy Bridge 3570K processor is more sensitive to hardware compatibility and now I am considering a downgrade for a Sandy Bridge 2500K or 2600K or 2700K, but I will work more with the machine first and do more tests with the two processors before the downgrade.

• @apefos

It is really weird stories. I also think that issue is not related to processor, but to software decoder you use now.

• Today I got more freezing in windows media player. I did some google search about Ivy Bridge Freezing / 3570K Freeze and there are lots of reports about similar issues. There is nothing more for me to do instead of try Windows 8 or the 2500K downgrade. Sad things!

• Have you run any diagnostics? Try windows memory diagnostics and prime95.

• after lots of more tests the conclusions are:

option 1: my 3570k came from the store already defective...

option 2: ivy bridge processors are prone to compatibility issues...

I tested 4 GPU: GTX650Ti, GT240, asus onboard, asrock onboard, tested two motherboards, asus b75 and asrock z77, tested two memory manufacturers, kingstom and markvision, tested fresh install of windows 8, windows 7 and windows 7 with SP1.

Nothing made 3570k works good, stability improved with better hardware, but even with top quality hardware, from time to time video playback keep freezing.

So I did tests with three sandy bridge processors: i3-2120, i5-2400, i5-2500K and all the hardware and all the operating systems worked flawless in all the softwares and video playback, no freezing problems anymore, even with cheap memory, even with any GPU or motherboard.

So my advice is: keep with sandy bridge processors (2, 4 or 6 fisical cores) and Z77 / B75 motherboards (to get usb3.0) and avoid upgrades!!!

• option 2: ivy bridge processors are prone to compatibility issues...

LOL, it is just not true.

• Sorry, but this is nonsense. I've got 2 systems, one with an i5-3570K and one with an i7-3770K, and both perform flawlessly. I've never encountered a single issue like those described by @apefos. Whether running Windows 7 or OS X Mountain Lion.

Gearhead fora tend to conflate operator error with hardware failure. That is the case here.

• I have an Ivy Bridge quad core in my main machine, with SSD, and an mSATA SSD, and an external hard-drive. I also have a dual-core Ivy-Bridge in my new Lenovo Netboook. They are both lightning fast handling video. Many times I get better than real-time rendering out of a Sony Vegas session, and I have never seen any hiccups in playback. There is a problem with USB3, as I use a tricked-out Windows-XP, and Ivy-Bridge does not have USB3 drivers for XP, but I handle this with a plug-in USB Expresscard using the Fresco chipset. That can hardly be called a "compatibility issue" :) All the other XP software I have collected for over a decade works well with Ivy-Bridge, and is soooo fast now...

Oh - and the quad core runs Fedora 16 really well, too.. along with VMs...

• computers sometimes are prone to weird things. same configurations and installs was done with both processors, sandy and ivy, ivy freezes playback, sandy not...

only way to be sure about what happened, (option1 or option2) would be to try two more ivy bridge in my computer to be sure, but I will not do it, I am happy with the sandy bridge.

• @apefos The common denominator among the failing PCs you describe is that you built them all. I would posit that if you purchased an Acer etc. Ivy desktop with Windows pre-installed you'd have zero issues of the type you describe having with your DIY PCs. Building your own PC can be rewarding and even fun but it's clearly not for everyone.

I'm often hired to troubleshoot such scenarios. 11 times out of ten it's a case of operator error. Too small a power supply for the CPU/GPU. Wrong choices in BIOS setup. A stick or two of bad RAM, or good RAM that's poorly seated. One tiny bent pin under the CPU. That motherboard screw that fell down behind the board when you put the PC together and you never hunted it down so you wouldn't have a conductive rogue screw knocking around inside your computer case. It can be a million things but from what you're describing, I would bet it's at least two of the above.

BTW, Sandy Bridge CPUs are happiest with Z68 boards, as they were designed with each other in mind. B75 and Z77 boards are more compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs. A 6-series board and an Ivy CPU can work together just as a 7-series board and Sandy can peacefully coexist, but if you want the best chance at full compatibility and highest performance, you won't use a Sandy processor with a B75/Z77 board as you recommended.

• Thanks for all the ideas about problem possibilities. I did a check in them all and I found no problems. When I was testing the Ivy, I did lots of Bios settings, including the default, carefull assembling in hardware, enough power in PSU, settings in windows control panel, and so on...

as I said, this thing which happened to me is weird, probably the cpu is defective...

my goal from now is to avoid computer upgrade at least until 2020, because I am tired about that and also do not want to spend money in that. I will not do 4k video, 1080p is the maximum for me, so a quad core is enough.

The sandy bridge is working flawless in the Z77 motherboard, playback, render, usb3.0, ssd, hdd, gpu, everything... so let me free the mind for other things...