Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, cool. Thanks.

• Looking at some of this footage from earlier now, I have to say I think it's actually pretty cool. From a tech standpoint the results wide-open are terrible on my old Nikons, but aesthetically I think there's something there! It reminds me a bit of Post Tenebras Lux, the recent Reygadas film... where only the center of the image is ever in focus :)

Below I've posted some rough comparisons - the potted plant is on my 24mm f/2 at f/2 and then at f/5.6. It may not look like it, but both shots are focused the same, i.e. to the best of my abilities using the zoomed-in mode on the LCD and taking a lot of care to get it right.

Same deal with the interior shot looking out the window - one at f/2, one at either f/2.8 or f/4.

The rest are just random grabs wide open. Aberration city, but like I said, this is a look I could get into for the right project. And I'm sure it'll look less... eccentric on different glass.

light-cannon-rev1.Still006.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 631K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still007.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 715K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still012.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 530K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still011.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 537K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 662K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 518K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still008.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 817K
    light-cannon-rev1.Still003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 518K
  • @Oedipax

Thanks for the pic uploads! But yea, that blooming is definitely not usable. Not good. Sucks to have to rule out the older Nikon lenses for use... maybe the Light Canon is designed for newer digital lenses with modern coatings? I sure hope so. The Rokinon Lenses and this adapter would be killer for the GH3 and BMPCC.

• I've got the 85 1.4 here, I'll try it out in a sec. Not one I'd probably use on the booster, but maybe an indicator of how the 24 and 35 would perform.

• Is this on a NEX or MFT camera? Are these photos or screengrabs from a video? If its video could you upload it to Vimeo?

• @chopnshoot These are videograbs from a GH2 in Premiere CC, just using the timeline still export (no grading). I'm running Driftwood's Moon T5. I guess I could make a little reel for Vimeo, although I don't think you'll see much different than these grabs as far as the image quality goes.

And @bwhitz I just tried the Samyang 85, sadly it's not much better than the Nikons. Looks like Metabones might still have a shot at this market if they can be bothered to make a mount people actually use. The fact that so many of us ordered these with express shipping without seeing a single test image ought to be indication enough that there's sufficient interest in a Nikon or EF version!

• Thank you Oedipax. I really appreciate the efforts. Do you mind to show the image with booster and without booster? Im curious to see how bad deterioration is in IQ.

• Didn't the MB version need to be adjusted for infinity? Could it be there just be there needs to be an adjustment made and since there is no manual... a phone to Fotodiox is needed... on Monday...7/1?

The rule of thumb when checking a lens it to check that it can focus to inf. If yes, then you can evaluate everything else. Lack of Inf. focus =can reveal that there is something considerable wrong with the lens.

MB instructions : http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

Discussion: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3384064

• @CFreak Interesting point - and promising, if the same applies here. I looked at the press release again and this is the last statement in it: "Infinity focusing is guaranteed."

I've got a comparison of the 24mm with and without the booster coming in a little bit.

• Okay, here's a set of bracketed exposures on my Nikon 24mm with and without the Light Cannon. It's not pretty :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1f47ny8m345asg3/light-cannon-comparison.zip

I futzed with the RAW files a bit to match the brightness a little closer, so don't judge LC brightening performance or anything based on that.

• Sounds like @Oedipax and I got the same results. Significant blooming. I guess this is what is meant by a coma in telecompressors. I'll take a look at mine to see if it appears adjustable.

• Well... balls. I was really looking forward to this. :(

• @Oedipax

Thanks for posting that comprehensive set of images. The pictures don't lie. Sadly, this lens is a turkey.

• @Oedipax thanks for the tests. I haven't received a verification of my buy yet, so hopefully it can be cancelled. I guess I'll have to wait for Metabones or Mitakon to deliver the goods :(

• Umpf. I risked and I lost. This looks not just a bad quality product, but a real swindle. Fotodiox tried to monetize the focal reducers hype. The product is just unusable

• Dammed, I just ordered one - looks like it goes straight back without even coming out of the box.

• I still hope I just got a bad copy or something but it sounds like @Brandt is seeing the same thing. I guess we'll know for sure in the next day or so when people get theirs and hit the forums hopping mad!

• I doubt it, I already got the word from an other user. Can't believe they even tried to put that thing on the market, I mean they must have made some tests before.

• @FrankGlencairn agree. I didn't expect stellar quality of course, but at least something usable. USPS says my package from Fotodiox is in Chicago. Please, can somebody STOP IT? :)

• I suggest topic title change: Vizelex Light Cannon Anticlimax topic.

• Or change it to Fotodiox image damage ;-)

• Bummer... tanx for trying guys!

• I don't see the problem, it's very cinematic/dreamy @ f2

:D :D :D

• @Riker I can sell you mine, then. Mint condition :) LOL