Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @soulkeeper

if your safari is for killing animals wish a lion eats your gear and a leg, if not:
    why so much gear/weight? what about sound?
    you can go till ISO 3200 if your cleaning afterwards. I personally like ISO 3200 better than 1600.
    I don't know if going with AVCHD in low light would make the difference… maybe you can step down to 25p and shutter 50 instead… use the nikon, a candle, the eyes of an elephant and drugs.
    Another thing you cannot use is 2.5 TeleExtender function in 50p. So if trying to capture a chetah farting while chasing a mall (je je je) half a mile away you'll need to step down to 25p and have an IS lens or just a good all fashioned, sturdy tripod... that nikon would be something epileptic at 1500mm.
    If you're gonna grade the footage, I am pleased with results I'm getting all -5 but color with µFT lenses.
    probably you don't have time but in future would only do you good to do (only do you good to do, nice!) tests for optimal settings for each of those lenses and also to understand how to match them better, probably you would even end up skipping one or two. ENJOY, remember don't kill just shot :P

• @maxr thanks for your recommendations..(i didn't know that i could't use extele with 50p)... actually i own these lenses but haven't decided if i'll take them all (didn't write it well) What about editing mixed footage ,25p (in case of low light or to use extele) and 50p ?Is it ok?

good news i can go up to 3200 and use a denoiser afterwards..

Unfortunately i don't have an external microphone (was thinking for rode video mic pro)...only chance i could buy one if there is available at ataturk airport...any tips for getting best sound with GH3's microphone?

what profile are you using?color at 0?

What about keep using 50p and reduce my shutter at 1/50 (360 degree)? I'll have the same amount of light as using 25p-1/50 (for same aperture and iso) but keeping the 180degree rule...correct?

• yes to edit mixed footage

yes to rode, senheiser or any other (decent) ext shotgun mic, just remember to set in-camera sound levels very low. other good thing is external recorder for recording sound aside, autonomous... if you plan editing then is goooood. nice to have (even if you recorded it with camera/mobile phone/needle and vynil) extra sound/s

me, when µFT lens and grading afterwards, yes contrast -5, sharpness -5, color 0, NR -5
    rules and rulers and cools and coolers, stakato maquiato just have fun

a last thing, people say and therefore it is said, not very cinematic, plenty automatic, dark and heavy, slow and whatnot, but IF I HAD TO TAKE JUST 1 of the lenses you indexed, I'll take the 14-140 and ND filters any day. Stabilized 28-700mm (with ExT) in less than a kilo sounds good enough to me. that and a nice, light and fast 40 or 50mm equiv would suffice, to me. but you already have plenty from where to choose and probably taking also stills and so on.

enjoy the ride and show some when back, say hello to wilderness

• Thanks @maxr any other suggestions are welcome...

what about taking a photo during video? according to this

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/video_shooting.html

when in still picture priorities,it will capture a 12mp photo,video will have no sound at the moment you capture the photo...but what about the video? Will there be a blank in playback?

• also you write "other good thing is external recorder for recording sound aside, autonomous... if you plan editing then is goooood. nice to have (even if you recorded it with camera/mobile phone/needle and vynil) extra sound/s"

so do you think it's good to record sound with my mobile phone(iphone 5)??...as i don't have an external recorder

• i love you too @maxr

No..i couldn't have read...it was 1% i'd get the camera before i leave for the trip..

If VK believes it's offtopic, he will delete my posts..no problem...i thought that here is the right thread to post...

Keep on drinking!Stin ygeia soy!

• Panasonic EPP members get 15% off the GH3 body right now.

• I was excited when I got the email from Panasonic with the 15% discount, but even with it, Panasonic charges taxes, so it's still $1200. Right now on Amazon you can order it for $1250 shipped. Amazon is a much better place to buy it IMHO. Thoughts?

• I'd buy from Amazon Prime over anywhere else. You can't beat it and they take anything back you don't like.

• Can someone tell me how to attach an external monitor (I'd like to use my PC) to my GH3? I'm not sure what cable I need or how to configure it. I'd like to use it for more accurate focusing when I'm taking photos, so I want to be able to use it instead of the viewfinder. I do wildlife photography and shoot from a blind a lot, so portability isn't a problem.

On another note, I discovered that by using the remote control with the camera set in Creative Video Mode you can start and stop video recording w/o introducing any movement whatsoever to the camera if you're shooting on a tripod.

• @soulkeeper Yes, there is a noticeable stop/restart, at least when you capture raw photos during video recording.

• Looks like another GH3 firmware update in July... still no focus peaking, but add -3ev lowlight AF http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/gh3_firmware/

• @ntsan

Interesting news.

• Seems to be good news that they're still working on it. But at the risk of sounding like a nag, they still aren't making the Display Info Disappearing configurable?
    W T F.

• Seems to be good news that they're still working on it. But at the risk of sounding like a nag, they still aren't making the Display Info Disappearing configurable?

Are you able to read previous posts of this topic? As they have very good explanation why it is not possible to do. Such thing will lead to display issues and huge amount of service repairs.

• I remember reading about someone stating that it would lead to OLED burn-in but why wouldn't you want it to be left on or configurable when using an HDMI external monitor?

• face palm

• They need to change their text. It's not released yet and won't be until July.

• Notice for DMC-GH3 Firmware Update...no piking on GH3 :-(

• Hello, I'm new here and I'm GH3 user. I'm happy with the camera but it has its weak points. One of them is wi-fi connectivity with PC (even after 1.1 firmware update) and the second thing which annoys me is that it's impossible to use focus assist during recording movies. I'm mostly using manual vintage lenses which are cheaper and sometimes better then expensive primes (this is of course my personal opinion) and if Panasonic won't give us focus peaking, maybe at least they'd enable focus assist during recording. Is there any website where you can write to Panasonic about firmware updates, ideas and request for firmware updates?

• Is there any website where you can write to Panasonic about firmware updates, ideas and request for firmware updates?

Yes - http://www.the-north-pole.com/santamail.shtml

• haha, good one but I was hoping for more serious answer :(

• Santamail - that was brilliant :)))) However true, same effect...

• it would be useful to have the screen info re-appear if the eye sensor detects movement behind the camera

It would save having to touch the camera to get the info back on the display

• it would be useful to have the screen info re-appear if the eye sensor detects movement behind the camera

that is as simple and as good an idea gets, @gib :-)