Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like another GH3 firmware update in July... still no focus peaking, but add -3ev lowlight AF http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/gh3_firmware/

• @soulkeeper Yes, there is a noticeable stop/restart, at least when you capture raw photos during video recording.

• Can someone tell me how to attach an external monitor (I'd like to use my PC) to my GH3? I'm not sure what cable I need or how to configure it. I'd like to use it for more accurate focusing when I'm taking photos, so I want to be able to use it instead of the viewfinder. I do wildlife photography and shoot from a blind a lot, so portability isn't a problem.

On another note, I discovered that by using the remote control with the camera set in Creative Video Mode you can start and stop video recording w/o introducing any movement whatsoever to the camera if you're shooting on a tripod.

• I'd buy from Amazon Prime over anywhere else. You can't beat it and they take anything back you don't like.

• I was excited when I got the email from Panasonic with the 15% discount, but even with it, Panasonic charges taxes, so it's still $1200. Right now on Amazon you can order it for $1250 shipped. Amazon is a much better place to buy it IMHO. Thoughts?

• Panasonic EPP members get 15% off the GH3 body right now.

• i love you too @maxr

No..i couldn't have read...it was 1% i'd get the camera before i leave for the trip..

If VK believes it's offtopic, he will delete my posts..no problem...i thought that here is the right thread to post...

Keep on drinking!Stin ygeia soy!

• also you write "other good thing is external recorder for recording sound aside, autonomous... if you plan editing then is goooood. nice to have (even if you recorded it with camera/mobile phone/needle and vynil) extra sound/s"

so do you think it's good to record sound with my mobile phone(iphone 5)??...as i don't have an external recorder

• Thanks @maxr any other suggestions are welcome...

what about taking a photo during video? according to this

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/video_shooting.html

when in still picture priorities,it will capture a 12mp photo,video will have no sound at the moment you capture the photo...but what about the video? Will there be a blank in playback?

• yes to edit mixed footage

yes to rode, senheiser or any other (decent) ext shotgun mic, just remember to set in-camera sound levels very low. other good thing is external recorder for recording sound aside, autonomous... if you plan editing then is goooood. nice to have (even if you recorded it with camera/mobile phone/needle and vynil) extra sound/s

me, when µFT lens and grading afterwards, yes contrast -5, sharpness -5, color 0, NR -5
    rules and rulers and cools and coolers, stakato maquiato just have fun

a last thing, people say and therefore it is said, not very cinematic, plenty automatic, dark and heavy, slow and whatnot, but IF I HAD TO TAKE JUST 1 of the lenses you indexed, I'll take the 14-140 and ND filters any day. Stabilized 28-700mm (with ExT) in less than a kilo sounds good enough to me. that and a nice, light and fast 40 or 50mm equiv would suffice, to me. but you already have plenty from where to choose and probably taking also stills and so on.

enjoy the ride and show some when back, say hello to wilderness

• @maxr thanks for your recommendations..(i didn't know that i could't use extele with 50p)... actually i own these lenses but haven't decided if i'll take them all (didn't write it well) What about editing mixed footage ,25p (in case of low light or to use extele) and 50p ?Is it ok?

good news i can go up to 3200 and use a denoiser afterwards..

Unfortunately i don't have an external microphone (was thinking for rode video mic pro)...only chance i could buy one if there is available at ataturk airport...any tips for getting best sound with GH3's microphone?

what profile are you using?color at 0?

What about keep using 50p and reduce my shutter at 1/50 (360 degree)? I'll have the same amount of light as using 25p-1/50 (for same aperture and iso) but keeping the 180degree rule...correct?

• @soulkeeper

if your safari is for killing animals wish a lion eats your gear and a leg, if not:
    why so much gear/weight? what about sound?
    you can go till ISO 3200 if your cleaning afterwards. I personally like ISO 3200 better than 1600.
    I don't know if going with AVCHD in low light would make the difference… maybe you can step down to 25p and shutter 50 instead… use the nikon, a candle, the eyes of an elephant and drugs.
    Another thing you cannot use is 2.5 TeleExtender function in 50p. So if trying to capture a chetah farting while chasing a mall (je je je) half a mile away you'll need to step down to 25p and have an IS lens or just a good all fashioned, sturdy tripod... that nikon would be something epileptic at 1500mm.
    If you're gonna grade the footage, I am pleased with results I'm getting all -5 but color with µFT lenses.
    probably you don't have time but in future would only do you good to do (only do you good to do, nice!) tests for optimal settings for each of those lenses and also to understand how to match them better, probably you would even end up skipping one or two. ENJOY, remember don't kill just shot :P

• Just received my Gh3( previously owned a gh2) and going a safari trip in 2 days.... I'll have panasonic 14-140, nikon 50/1,2, nikon 180/2,8 , nikon 70-300 vr , tokina 11-16 , tamron 17-50/2.8 , nd filters , I'd like recommendations for optimal settings for video... From what i've read here ,i'm thinking to use 1080/50p(pal) .mov with 1/100 shutter (multiples if i intend to do slow mo) and 1080/50p avchd when in low light....natural profile with -5 contrast and noise reduction,-2 color and -3 sharpness for 14-140 but 0 for other lenses, so i can have room for some editing... Iso max.1600..

Any other thoughts,please share..

Thanks!

PS Wish i received the camera a week ago.. :-(

• hah... thanks Sph1nxster-that makes sense

• Nice job stanlymanly2. With the script you had I wouldn't change a thing.

• You need to lower the resolution of the image. Go to menu and select a lower image resolution and then ETC will work

• Can you tell me why cant I or how to get tele mode/crop facer in photo mode? I only can get it in video.

• Hey everyone. Here's a music video I shot in a day and edited the next day. It was quick cash and yeah, didnt really get to put my best into it. She had a script and shot list and I followed it. Editing was ok, the grading was hard. It was very tough to grade in some parts because I dialled in the wrong white balance. It was challenging and lesson learned. Anyways, judge, critique and dissect away. I need all the help I can get. Thanks everyone :D

Gear: Panasonic GH3 Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Lumix 14mm f2.5 Canon FD 28mm f2.8 Nikon 50mm f1.4 Soligor 135mm f2.8

• Hey maxmizer,yeah I'm aware of all the mistakes.After July when the winner is announced I will upload the improved film with fixes. If I don't get the new black magic 4K camera in time to film Clandestine part 2 I am going to film clandestine part 2 at the GH3 flattest settings and film at 60p do the CG then render out at 24p. Rolling shutter is the worst thing when working with CG.

• @ldbonilla

Nice editing bro ... I like Wayne from League of Legends .. Can you tell us more about how u edit this speed shoots.. Ty

• @AonAnderson correct reflection glasses after 23 minutes, you see the troupe

• So doing the high-speed photo-burst at 2336x1752 resolution (the only size available for Super High burst) the GH3 was able to shoot exactly 20fps for 79 images. Shooting at 4K raw, it was able to do around 5 or 6 fps for 20 images.

• I'll try a test, just out of curiosity, to see how long the burst mode can shoot and check the "frame rate" once it's turned into an image sequence.

• @taawp

It is all memory limitations.

• @grierdill That's an interesting idea. The FZ200 has a 60 fps burst mode with 3.5k, but its only available for 60 frames. I wonder if its possible to increase it to 600 or 6000 frames at one time.

There might be a hardware limitation regarding memory allocation.