Personal View site logo
Panasonic HC-V700 Camcorder Review
  • I bought the Panasonic HC-v700 Camcorder based on this review:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-hc-v700-camcorder-review/conclusion

For me the 1080/60p and the telemacro mode are the two best things about this camcorder.

I shoot for Microstock and Vimeo, I can't tell you a codex from a follow-focus. I point/shoot and hope it looks good.

The 1080/60i mode has weird interlaced kinda lines, not sure if it's my workflow or what.

I've owned the GH1, Sony A55, Nikon P500 and Gopro Hero2 and this Camcorder produces a better image.

Here's a Time Lapse I shot, just sped-up to 800% in Motion5.

Grizzly shot a full zoom, slowed from 60p to 30p.

Telemacro shot.

another one

60i shot

There's a 180 photo burst mode that is kinda neat...

I have shaky hands but I think someone could make the zoom work smoothly

Apparently the updated Panasonic HC-v720 model is slightly better. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-camcorder-is-the-panasonic-hc-v720/

For $460 it's a pretty good Camcorder. I think.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @QuinEtiam. I have previous model - SD90.

And why V720 has more features, it also has "improvement" with mikes placement.

• I was a little worried about fast motion, but I'm surprised by this camcorder.

• At Full Zoom on Tripod

• The Panasonic Lumix GH3 we've reviewed today is about as close to a true hybrid still and video camera as you can buy. It is one of the best compact-system cameras, equalling mid-range DSLRs in features and image quality, and it is also a video camera that produces results comparable with dedicated camcorders. So now the question to ponder is: do I need two cameras, or will the GH3 do it all?

To answer the question, we set up an unscientific test. We mounted the GH3 on a bracket alongside a Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder and shot simultaneous high-definition (1080p AVCHD) video. Both cameras record to SD memory cards, which we plugged directly into a high-definition television set, avoiding any post-camera image processing.

Both cameras produce remarkable HD video. The tiny HC-V700 camcorder, with its 46x zoom lens, is simply astonishing. This camera has five-axis optical image stabilisation, which is like having it mounted on a gyro-stabilised steadycam rig. The GH3 can't match the V700 for smooth panning, tilting and camera movement. For hand-held tracking of a moving subject, the camcorder has an edge over the hybrid still camera. The camcorder also does constant autofocus better, presumably because it has a smaller sensor, greater depth of field and shorter movement of lens elements in the focusing mechanism.

Where the Lumix GH3 wins out is in absolute image quality. When the cameras are tripod-mounted and static, the GH3 produces the more detailed pictures.

The GH3 has the advantage of the eye-level electronic viewfinder. This helps in two ways. Pressing the camera against the eye aids stabilisation, and an EVF can be used in bright sunlight, where the V700 LCD screen tends to be useless for framing.

Both cameras use Panasonic's touchscreen technology, and the V700 camcorder has the advantage of being much smaller and lighter than the compact system camera. Both have HDMI out for direct connection to a high-definition TV.

The V700, being designed only for video (though it can take stills) has a better zoom control, with the wide-tele slider right where the left thumb falls when holding and operating the camera. With the GH3, smooth manual zooming is impossible, but there are optional powered zooms for the camera.

For top-quality, carefully-controlled video shooting, the Lumix GH3 is the way to go. For following kids and dogs to spontaneously capture precious family moments with minimum fuss, the

HC-V700 is an astonishing device for about $800.

But for two cameras for the price of one, the GH3 is unbeatable.

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/1488762/two-cameras-in-one/

• Now apparently any Panasonic camcorder in the last few years has clean HDMI recording

Can you record directly to a Macbook pro?

• I hooked my 720K up to a BM shuttle and I now have raw 444 video out, but compressor has problem with it.