Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • >I posted this on the Rice High's famous Pentax site, which get's a lot of hits

Rice blog is quite famous in Pentax world, mostly fo bad and stupid things he writes. :-)
  • My 2 questions. Please don't jump on me for this basic question :)

1) There's no more version compare option in PTool v3.6d?
    2) If I use version increment 1, I should save my new firmware from my original firmware GH2__V10.bin to GH2__V11.bin and subsequent upgrade to V13. V14, V15 etc....

ok, maybe one more final question

3) to revert to the original GH2__V10.bin, do I need to check the version increment?

thank you!

• 1) If you look it is on top. Checked by default after loading firmware.
    2) Any name you listed will do.
    3) Yes.
  • Thanks Vitally.

I thot there was a option for version increment and also a prevent version compare in previous Ptools.

I don't see a prevent version compare checkbox in PTool v3.6d. I only see a checked by default version increment.

• >I don't see a prevent version compare checkbox in PTool v3.6d.

It is not here because it is not required.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    >Rice blog is quite famous in Pentax world, mostly fo bad and stupid things he writes>
    Yes you're absolutely right, he tells a lot of nonsence now and then but i.m.o. it's good to get Pentaxians informed properly about this creative/progressive GH1/GH2 vid. world (if they would not know it already) GRTZ Eddie
  • Hi,

FIrst i tired on the Panasonic sd card that came with the unit and now i tried it with Lexar SDHC 133x, still it doesn`t update, is there any other setting that im missing here or doing worng, the steps are exactly as recomended.
    Also the camera doesn`t reboot after update.

Pls help me in this

• Seems I am having a similar problem in loading the hack, I used SD extreme 20MB, 8 Gig to install, the camera seemed to have gone through the install of the new update. It never closed down. I looked to see if there was a version change, nothing. Body ver.1.0 Lens ver.1.0 as well. I am missing something, Can anyone make a suggestion.
    Frank
  • Version do not change.
  • What, you never sleep? Is there something I am missing to get the new version into the camera. Is the SD card the problem? Oh yeah..Thanks
  • Hi, I'm kinda new to this, million thanks to Vitaliy for bringing this hack. My question is quite basic:

MY GH2 is PAL. I did everything I was supposed to do on PTools to get the NTSC-PAL switch but although the Video Output menu lets me switch from PAL to NTSC, my freshly formatted card won't let me record any clips on NTSC.

Do you think I should buy a new card to make it work? Also, if I finally make it, will I be able to shoot at 720p/60 instead of 720p/50 that my PAL camera now shoots?

If so, thats an amazing perk for my future slow motion shots!
  • @exilenorth

There is no immediately visible sign of firmware version change, unless you select the "languages" option in ptool, in which case you can then scroll through a long list of lanuages in the camera menu.

The best test is just to shoot a few shots and then load them to your computer and note the bitrates. They should be close to the new bitrates you chose in ptool.

You can determine the bitrate by playing the file in quicktime 7 (or other player) and looking at the info window, or just divide the filesize (in bytes) x 8 by the length of the shot in seconds.

• @my freshly formatted card won't let me record any clips on NTSC.

You must format card in PAL mode.
    So, switch setting in menu to PAL, turn off camera, turn it back on, format this ot any other card, record.
  • @Vitaliy

At what point do I switch to NTSC? After formatting in PAL?
  • @meneper

If you want NTSC just replace PAL in previous post to NTSC :-)
  • Oh cool, got it, thanks!

Will I be able to shoot at 720p/60 as well?
  • Exilenorth... Buddy Lens ver.1.0 can be updated to ver 1.4 from Panasonic support site.
    People come on help us with this update, give your inputs. I`m still not able to get it work
    I even gave my bit of donation thinking that would help :)

regards
    Puni
  • GH2__V10.bin Hack won't load in PTool v3.56d on Mac using WineBottler...

Opens fine. Runs. When I "Load Firmware" all it says is ""File Corrupted. Impossible to use!"

I've downloaded the file from SendSpace and Mediafire links and both are the same. File Corrupted.

??? Help
  • It is as PTool told you.
    Redownload firmware and try again.
    Most probably you did not download whole file, use any download manager.

Oups, why are you using 3.56d, can you tell me? :-)
  • I downloaded a few times.... Same thing. I downloaded the setup file that you posted in another thread. It was already mac-ready: "ptools356d"
  • *Scratch That*

Used PTool v3.62d and it worked..... Not sure why. Thanks!
  • @VK_Editing

It is very old version, very old.
    Do not support GH2 :-)
  • What's latest version? PTool 3.56d was the one that gave error only....
  • Can you eliminate the SD card and drag the firmware straight from the computer into the camera?
  • So this is what I have discovered, 1. I believe Chris stated that the only noticeable way to let you know if the hack seated was, use the Language setting for multiples... once in the Camera you will roll to the language section and if you see more than English ,Spanish and various European designates you will also see Asian. Boom, the hack is seated. This is the quickest way to tell. Then shoot. But before I had problems with loading the hack itself,from the card to camera. Formatting is important, get SDFormatter, clean the card, once complete, drag your newly named firmware GH2_V11 or v12 or v13, to the SD Chip. Stick in the slot and switch on the camera with a freshly charged battery, go to the arrow within the green square, push to view and the transfer should begin. Believe me, reading from the group site and the process of elimination it is in. Thanks. Contribute to the team for this is a work in progress.
    Frank
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions