Personal View site logo
Help choosing a wide angle lens.
  • Hello, I'm looking for a wide-angle lens to pair with my GH2 for use on a GlideCam, and I'd like it to have a minimum of f2.8 or better.

Lens on my list, 1. Olympus 11-22mm 2. Nikon 20mm 2.8 3. Nikon 24mm 2.8, 4. Olympus 12mm f2.0, if I can get at least $300 for a Nikon D300 body.

I currently shoot with a Olympus 14-54mm MK1 and the Panasonic Leica 14-50mm OIS 2.8-3.5, but I'd like something a bit wider than 14/28mm.

I also shoot photos with a D700, hence the Nikon choices. Dual use would be nice but not a requirement.

So my question is if you had to pic one on image characteristics alone, which would you choose?

Also I'm open to other suggestions.

Any information or insite is greatly appreciated.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Tokina 11-16 2.8 Nikon mount. "Musgo" (search on Vimeo) was shot with it

• I'll take a look at that Tokina, but I'm trying to choose from the lenses that I've listed. I didn't mention that I have a $300 credit for an exchange at a store that has those lenses available.

Am I correct in assuming that I'll get the same FOV from a OM 24mm or Nikon 24mm as the newer Olympus 12mm?

• For what it's worth, I'm looking for a prime lens that's wide (roughly 14mm in the MFT system), fast (as low as 1.8 if possible), and actual manual focus-- I'd use this with a follow focus rig, and the auto-focus lenses don't work well with that. It'd probably be a high-end lens with an adapter. Any suggestions?