Personal View site logo
Meetup: Los Angeles Area
  • 231 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev We're from LA, so we like to hear ourselves talk a lot and not really listen to the other person! JK. I think we have two dates now. If we have any more problems, I'll sign up to that site and make a survey.

• @vicharris JUL 13 is good for me

• HI there. I have two GH2s and a GH3. I am just starting to make studio video here to the Black Magic ATEM1. I love the idea of local meetups. I am in La Cañada. June 22 works for me, just let me know where and when.

Kindest and sincerest warm regards,

Lisa J. Kassner

• Where ever we meet, I hope parking is not a concern. It might be nice also to have a place where food and beverage would be available to further quality fellowship meeting everyone for the first time. Perhaps a hotel might be nice like the Holiday Inn Burbank. In any event, I sure am excited about meeting everyone.

• So are we doing both the 22nd of June and the 13th of July? And is the location been confirmed as the Cinema Bar?

The Cinema Bar 3967 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City, 90230

• @rforrandom It will be just one day. Not sure yet. We have a few people that can not do the 22 but most everyone seems to be ok with July 13th. I'm not sure about the Cinema Bar. Looks ok to grab a beer and listen to some music on a weekend night but I wanted somewhere a little more inviting with more light. Calling around to some places today.

• Outside of showing off our equipment what do we want to accomplish with this meet up? I have several suggestions being someone that is hacking impaired how about having a speaker to walk us newbies through steps on how to test various hack settings/procedures so we can be more empowered and contribute to the efforts here?

I think it would be interesting to bring into discussion hackers invested in addressing the problem of planned obsolescence, anyone feel qualified in speaking/presenting on this issue? This covers more than the GH series but something that Vitaly seems invested in battling. If Vitaly can participate via Skype all the better.

An equipment or work show and tell as it relates to the hacks would be cool.

Id like to hear more of what we want to accomplish here chime in everyone!

• @joesant Sorry there but I really don't see some of this happening. Besides a possible empty retail space in Venice, there hasn't been anyone with ideas or help in this matter. Haven't seen anyone want to give a speech or walk people through anything. Haven't seen V interested or even offer to get involved personally in these either. For the most part it seems more of a networking event and for people to get to know one another that live in the same area. If someone can come up with a better idea that will provide some sort of A/V demo, though nobody has said they want to show a project, a place to get food and drinks and a place that will cater to us for free, when we want, then by all means speak up now or just take over the coordination.

• yeah... I didn't really picture this as anything more than a social "hey, how are you?" not a users group meeting... I think for now we lack the organization to do anything more than just hang out, and once we're there, if people want to commiserate and plan for something more elaborate... by all means, knock yourself out.

• @shian

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I've talked to a few guys I've met in the area and they seem to be on the same page.

• Ok everyone, one of the places I was looking at is closing next week for repairs but they have a new place downtown that looks great. Has a lot of outdoor space too. It's Big Wangs again and just want to know what people think of the parking situation down there? Here's the address: 801 SOUTH GRAND AVE. LA, CA 90017

• Hi vicharris, Thanks for responding. well I guess it is what it is but maybe some people will step up. Universities could be interested sharing possible space and getting involved. I would at UC Riverside but dont imagine anyone from Los Angeles making the trek although I make it every day. There is a space in Los Angeles called Machine Projects in Echo Park/Silverlake that does stuff like this but it would most likely need structure like I suggested for them to get involved. If there is enough interests I will look into it but if not I'd rather not waste my time.

• RE: Big Wangs -- The metro station lets-out just a few blocks away. I'll probably just take the Redline down. That way I can get responsibly hammered -- if such a state of mind becomes a result of the evening's festivities.

• So I just called them and are cool giving us the whole patio if we want it. Seems to be two parking lots right across the street that are $6 and plenty of meters. Here's a couple pics.

Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 12.44.35 PM.png
    648 x 323 - 427K
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 12.44.46 PM.png
    576 x 276 - 348K
  • @shian

Good to know and I'm right there with ya!

• I have done different types of meetings at The Burbank Holiday Inn over the years. They could provide us with soft drinks, relish tray and finger foods in a nice meeting room downstairs. They do have a nice restaurant as well and the parking is very good in their adjacent garage. The Holiday Inn is just off the 5 Fwy. We could ask for a small donation to pay for expenses of the room and food. Parking is free.

Just my two cents worth.

Kindest and sincerest warm regards,

Lisa J. Kassner

• Yes My name is Reuben and I'm in Echo Park, LA pm me, i've interested in working with others and using c mount lenes thanks.

• GH2 and am interested in C mount lenses. Echo Park

• Big Wang's sounds good. A hotel meeting room sounds maybe better, but expensive. I vote for Big Wang's.

On the topic of c mount lenses ( @whisper1 ), I have a lightly modded c-mount computar 12.5mm f1.3 and a heavily modded (hacked off the back) computar 12.5-75mm f1.2. Both lenses are more novelty then useful for my Gh2 unfortunately (not sharp enough / image circle too small) but I can bring them along if anyone wants to play with them.

-Will

• Hey guys, are you doing this in the afternoon or in the evening? I can likely cannot show until 6:30 or so. Thx

• It will be around noon. It will be too hard to get a spot reserved without shelling out some cash if we do it at night. Plus there's UFC fights on both of these nights so any public, restaurant, social, bar type place will be out of control starting at 5PM. Sorry Justin.

• Also, as a few people have said, a hotel meeting room doesn't sound right for this meeting. More people just want to have a meet and hang type of get together for this first one. Get to know one another, bitch about cameras and talk about the weather type of thing. Maybe down the line we can put together some sort of formal thing if someone else wants to spearhead that.

• After reading my post I realize that might have sounded kind of harsh. Sorry if it came off that way. Many times things said on boards seem hostile or aggressive since it's so cut and dry. Anyways, let's get this first one in the bag and if it goes well and enough people are interested in any follow up meeting and such, we can talk about that next :)

• @vicharris +1

If we get a community going here and people demonstrate a willingness to come meet each other, rather than just pay lip-service to doing so, then there are a few of us ready to help make something bigger happen.

So we'll see how this goes. I'm looking forward to meeting new people from the group. :)

• Same here. Re 7/12, not sure if I'll be in town. But if I am I'll be there (wherever there is). :)