Personal View site logo
Apple new Mac Pro computers
  • 78 Replies sorted by
  • Made-in-USA ain't cheap.

• Assembled in the USA not made in the USA. Aren't all mac's assembled in the USA?

• Don't forget to buy a trash bin backpack to carry it everywhere :)

Weather proof, shock proof, fool proof... $200ish?

• One thing about Mac is that resale value is high and very brisk sales. Upgrades are actually available for some models and over the years i've upgraded different Macs i've owned. If you haven't been a Mac owner over the years there is a tendency to make a lot of assumptions.

I happen to think there will be some positives to this design as well as some minor negatives. I don't like the round shape, but that's not a big deal. What I do like is the higher end internals. This time they haven't underpowered the unit for what it's most likely to be used for. You can tell that for the 1st time in a long time, they really talked with their 3rd party partners and users as to what they needed most. I'm assuming they consulted Blackmagic Design quite a bit in designing this MacPro, since they have 2 GPU's. That screams Resolve to me. I'm sure Apple convinced Blackmagic to work on going with OpenCL.

I don't foresee any reason to need to upgrade the GPU anytime soon, if you've got 2 top level units in there capable of handling loads of 4K output. Everything is built for speed in this MacPro. Quiet cooling isn't anything to make fun of. I also don't think it's a big deal that there's no Hard Drive bays inside. So overall it's a very compact and streamlined product. All we need is the pricing and configurations.

• Go Apple. You Can Do It!!! Nah

• Not a lot of information at this point but it is looking like the thing will play nicely with both Resolve 10 and Adobe CC.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/mac-pro-amd-gpu-firepro-blackmagic-resolve-10-adobe-cc/

• Or the buttplug as it has been affectionately been accepted, with it's non multitasking new operating system - winner! Dixons thinking for the masses woop! Apple shrinking faster than a slug on salt and going route 1 reducing programming overhead and support needs - the future's bright lol at least Final cut problems in post we spend polishing daily will be condemned to pics of the kids at the beach for the boss, and not broadcast?

• What's the real issue with this new MacPro that would make it a problem for many of the customers they'll be aiming at? It's got pretty much everything that a user would need in terms of power to push 4K and below. I don't see anything wrong with that in a general sense. It's all gonna depend on their pricing IMO. If they can find a sweet spot in the Pro range it could be a big success. All they're gonna need is to show videos of the machines flying thru Resolve, FCPX and CS6 with 3 4K monitors running and I think a significant number of people will buy in. Apple still has some clout with users.

• I can tell you I've been waiting years for a new Mac Pro, and unless the price is flat out ridiculous I will buy. I need a Mac (or Hacintosh) to run FCPX and the more powerful the better. I very much dislike the whole windows experience. Now thats me personally, each to there own tho. I have no beef with others using windows, it's just not my cup of tea.

• Current Hacky Toshes - even more so recently - have no restrictions so as we did today buying old shells for overpriced needs - don't know what to do lol - personally in 5 studios various Htoshes, no crashes - instant - more so than HDX feeling editing - what to do :) Basically if you want error checking RAM buy the dildo erm Mac Poo- if not buy the 64 gig Ram SSD monster grfx card behemoth for 1/4 price .... choices lol This was borne from spending nearly 100k on MacPro's last year for "support" and "performance" whereas even me Avid chum in the US of A has a Hackintosh humph

• How stable are the Hackintoshes? I don't ever want to screw around with making it work. I have better things to do like shoot or be a dad. I want it to work automatically, update automatically, be stable, and have zero to worry about ever. Are they that stable? Can you say that about them? If so, I might have to look into it, if not the Mac Pro is the only option. I make enough money shooting where the cost is the least important thing.

• ...and you thought it was a "rant" !

http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/articles/2013/06/11/nine-companies-tied-to-prism-obama-will-be-smacked-with-class-action-lawsuit-wednesday

...and hey, I love apple ! I was even a stockholder ...back before the empire collapsed !

• @kurth

This topic is not about thing you posted.

• I kind of like the idea of getting a system that is pure power and very little fluff. It's mainly focused on CPU/GPU power and wide bandwidth to decrease bottlenecks. This system seems very well setup to be a dream to work on IMO. TB 2.0, USB 3, PCIe Flash etc. I can really see this being a very forward looking system that should cover needs for good few years because of the use of high end processing and throughput.

A system that can handle 3 4K screens and has 2 high end GPU's should be good for a while before anyone would possibly need to upgrade. It seems like it will be a good investment. Even when a newer CPU is released It will likely be easy to sell for a good price based on the resale values of MacPros over the years. I'm intrigued about this new MacPro and my old one is barely hanging on. Hope we're all pleasantly surprised by the pricing.

• At least they'll be 100% support for Haswell i7-4770K and 4950HQ chips in our hackintoshes.

• @driftwood

I think it is not related directly, as they will support Xeon chipsets.

• Whole design is usual Apple. Buy and throw to dump. Impossible to repair and impossible to upgrade.

Ha ha ha Hilarious!! and very true!! My G5 eventually got shelved for that very reason.

• Whole design is usual Apple. Buy and throw to dump. Impossible to repair and impossible to upgrade.<<

Yeah Hilarious! I'm still using a 1999 G4 sawtooth for Internet, web builds, administration and media server duties and a 2008 8 core Mac Pro for full editorial and effect duties. Both are still going strong. Never had a problem with either of them. Can't say that for ANY of the PeeCee's that have passed through our offices. Maybe you should think about recycling those old Macs to some poor folks in need of a working computer instead of letting them rot in a dump.

• I wonder would the late Steve approves of this design? Looks like a macro Cray-1 but not as pretty.

• I think we all forget how far we've come along the technology highway and how much prices have dropped. I can remember a few years back spending $2K for a 4GB external hard drive, $8K for a Pentium II with 21" CRT. Will I buy the black cylinder once reviews are in? More than likely, yes.

• Whole design is usual Apple. Buy and throw to dump. Impossible to repair and impossible to upgrade. Ha ha ha Hilarious!! and very true!! My G5 eventually got shelved for that very reason.

You could've sold your G5 for a very fair price and upgraded before the value fell. The resale market for Macs is very brisk and the value stays high even after the new models come out. It's always been this way. That's just like the used BMW market. That's how people have been upgrading for years. That and some do actually upgrade the CPU and other components when possible. The G5 wasn't one of those models that lent itself to processor upgrade. This is the weakest argument against Mac that people tend to use. If you want to upgrade Ram, HD or GPU that's not an issue. The problem has been the CPU and MOBO, tho there are those who upgrade CPU's.

This last cycle was much longer than it should've been and that's why there's such an uproar about Hackintosh and MacPro. Now that a new MacPro is on the way that shouldn't be an issue for some. I can't really be too crazy about this new MacPro until we see the pricing. Will they have lower price models as they've always had or will it only be this top spec model?

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but does it work?

Here's an interesting article about a blind test: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/14/developer-secretly-tested-new-mac-pro-for-weeks-inside-apples-evil-lab

• @Brian202020 & anyone else ...I am a loyal mac user who is pissed:

I have owned Macs for 20 years. A 7100/66, 8100/80 with Radius video vision nubus SD monitoring package using Premiere 1.x (I can't remember). A Ti G4, Alu G5, MBP 2006 1st gen, MBP 2009. This DSLR HD video revolution made editing on FCP7 on a laptop too processor intensive. My 2006 fried it'self from heat, after having to get the LCD replaced annually (!!!) (it was a 1st gen too), Applecare finally did me a solid after I was pulling my hair out having sunk $2.5k into this laptop and THEY replaced the machine after 3 years of problems with a 2009 MBP FOR FREE (AppleCare pays!). The GH2 transcode to Prores, multicam edit in FCP7, apply some CC, all OK on it. Render a TC window-dub or some web friendly 1080 H264 made the thing sound like it was going to take off with jet propulsion (fans). Not to mention the FW800 RAID I had hooked up to the thing for storage. So I bought a 2008 MacPro (all I could afford) and loaded it with hard drives, Then I learned firsthand FCP7 only uses 1 processor so having 8 didn't matter and the ECC RAM is really expensive for the 2008 model.

OK, I'll go for FCPX or Premiere. I reasearched GPUs that would be both FCPX and Premiere friendly, I had to do some hacking to get any cross NLE love to work on the Mac! Something about an AMD vs Nvidia split at Apple (like Flash on the iPhone and BluRay for the Mac). End result FCPX was sluggish and always needed to render. Editing natively was bloating my hard drives with render files, and yes FCPX said it was using the GPU. I finally used a utility (atMonitor) and found it only used 50% max of my Nvidia GPU's capacity in the MacPro (some say Nvidia doesn't do OpenCL well, but my benchmarks were high). On my 2009 MBP with naitively supported Nvidia GPU same BS. Even thought the last 2 versions were re-written to fully utilize the GPU. Other sources said FCPX was optimized for the i7. Why did Apple build the MacPro to server grade specs (with ECC RAM) and FCPX to not take advantage? To force iMac sales? Why can't FCPX use more of my GPU's power? To implement designed obsolescence from the software...? All while waiting for a smoke signal of what might come. What kind of a company is this for pros? The lack of updates of Aperture, Logic, the missing features in FCPX, they bought and killed Shake and Color Finesse, the success of iPhones and iPads, the soldered RAM in the new rMBPs & iMacs... had apple forgotten it's base (pros) who saved it from ruin some 10 years ago? Was this the writing on the wall?

The release of this new MacPro tells me yes, Apple is no longer a serious computer company for professionals. But, they have a very stable OS I know inside and out. In Feb. I was sick with the flu and had time to read up on Tonymac and watch some youtube videos (Bob Roche comes to mind, where he builds a hackintosh from scratch ). Yes, if I had the cash I would have rather bought a 2013 MacPro with an i7, reasonably priced RAM, available PCI slots and an upgradable GPU. Right you would too, but, there isn't one: there's the un upgradable iMac... WTF? No thank you. I want something with expandability.

The Hackintosh I built is the most stable mac I have ever owned. It is also the fastest and the cheapest. It's a work station so I don't care that it's not pretty (it sits under a desk), but, with my limited funds it means I can keep up and keep shooting cost effectively, multi-cam editing my multiple GH2 shoots in the small market here.

I am glad someone is doing well, the economy is crap elsewhere. I am not sure I will buy another un-upgradable computer from apple unless it's a portable or a $1000 tin can holding a processor and a dual GPU. I don't think the new MP is going to fit that budget, esp when a 1 foot TB cable is $30. It's become a company that doesn't care about media professionals anymore: you can't base a business on what hardware you might get "sometime in 2013".

For just over $1000 I built a Hackintosh, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX 570 with a BluRay (!!!) burner. If you're in the USA and have a MicroCenter nearby they have great deals (Fry's too). At MicroCenter you can return the parts in 14 days if it's not for you. There is nothing cheap or noisy about it. It just works. Like the GH2, someone cracked it and made it better than the greedy corporations wanted it to be.

By all means, spend your time with your kids. But if you want a no fuss upgradable hackintosh, look on craigslist for a 15 year old building them or contact Bob Roche (college student, no affiliation to me, I just learned off his YT videos) to build you one as a client (only 10% markup), and avoid the Mac 1st gen follies (been there, done that -MBP) and designed obsolescence madness from Apple!

This isn't bashing, this is giving unknowing future customers some perspective (and warning). I enjoy my Mac (& Hack)-intoshes. They have a great OS built on UNIX.

• @Everyone,

Screw FirePro. 7970 ALL THE WAY. Chuck this in the Mac Pro - feel the power!