Personal View site logo
Make a short film in 48 hours
  • I am somewhat sleep deprived right now, as for me there are two and a half hours to go before submissions close for the New Zealand 48 hour Film Festival. I'm waiting for a final render of my team's entry. This year, there are over 800 teams around NZ who are all trying to battle sleep deprivation, technical issues and general team problems to produce a seven minute film from start to finish in 48 hours.

The rules are simple: you are given a name (Vic Meyer, an insomniac), a line of dialog, a prop and a camera shot, and one of 14 different categories (assigned at random.) You then start writing the film, casting your actors, going to locations, shooting footage and editing the results. Many teams also prepare original music. All footage has to be shoot on the same weekend period.

Here's more information: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8715681/Return-of-the-48-hour-film-clash

I'm really pleased with my team's result, and can't wait to see how it does in the contest.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • This year, there are over 800 teams around NZ who are all trying to battle sleep deprivation, technical issues and general team problems to produce a seven minute film from start to finish in 48 hours.

It is large number, for NZ especially.

• Good observation. In a country with 4 million people, how many groups have the production capabilities to deliver a complete seven minute film in 48 hours? Of course, some of the teams are professionals (like Hobbit crew) who compete against each other. The rules are interesting -- here is the official web site:

http://www.48hours.co.nz/2013/

• I've done it every year for the last 6 or 7 years.

NZ 48hours used to be part of the international 48hours comp but split off about the time that I started participating in it.

In my home city of Wellington there was about one team per thousand inhabitants.

• In my home city of Wellington there was about one team per thousand inhabitants.

Looks scary. How many small manufacturing firms are per one thousand of inhabitants?

• I've got no idea - but NZ tends to have lots of vary small businesses, when they start getting big they tend to sell off shore and eventually NZ manufacturing is outsourced to China so I would think that it would be quite a high amount of small manufacturing companies per population.

It's quite a good weekend and you can get away with allot that you can't normally do - for instance you can shoot pretty much anywhere without a permit, if you tell the police department that you are going to do it you can run around the streets with firearms. Places like the International Airport open themselves up to filming for free.

It's also quite funny seeing film crews all over the show - often you get to a good location and another team is already there shooting.

I remember one year we got our genre, etc. I walked out the door and already a man in a bunny suit was running down the road followed by a guy in drag with a replica AK47 and a camera crew.

The competition had only started a minute ago, a quite surreal sight.