Personal View site logo
Rugged compacts
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • Olympus TG-830 iHS Review

This camera provides surprisingly good performance levels, both versus other tough cameras and versus others point-n-shoot models in its price range. The TG-830 works quickly with very little shutter lag and minimal shot to shot delays. Image quality is also pretty good with this camera, especially considering it has a very small image sensor, although you may notice some odd skin colors when shooting under fluorescent lighting and some softness at the edges of the scene. For a camera in its price range, Olympus included some very helpful advanced features with the TG-830 iHS, including a built-in GPS unit, an e-compass, double-locking switches on the memory card and USB compartments, a built-in LED light for additional illumination in underwater scenes, and an above average LCD screen. There are other tough cameras on the market that can work in deeper water than the TG-830's 33-foot depth limitation. And there are other non-waterproof cameras in this price range that perform better than the TG-830. However, you aren't going to find many other cameras that can combine the tough features and performance included in this model at this price. If you can live with a couple of significant drawbacks -- a small 5x optical zoom lens and poorly labeled control buttons that are too small to be used comfortably -- the Olympus TG-830 iHS is going to provide a very good value to those seeking a beginner-level tough camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/tg-830/olympus-tg-830-ihs-review.html

• Panasonic TS5 (FT5) wins 2013 TIPA award as Best Rugged Compact Camera

http://www.tipa.com/japanese/XXIII_tipa_awards_2013.php

• Panasonic TS5 (FT5) Time-Lapse

Select 1080p

The camera makes a 1920x1080 30 fps MP4 video from the set of stills using the built-in intervalometer. This video was made from 800 16 megapixel stills at 10-second intervals. The camera took less than 3 minutes to make the video. You can set the stills to be 16:9 so the video is widescreen but I did not.

• Specs and photo for TS5 above are incorrect. I own the TS5 and it is a solid performer. Can shoot video or stills up to ISO 6400 (albeit with a lot of grain) and can even take stills with 30 second long exposure. Bitrate for 60p is 28MB/s and OIS is very impressive.

• For me it is the FT5 (TS5) - it does 108060p video, unlike all the others. Here are two examples:

You an download the original 108060p video.

• For me, it is the Olympus TG2. The other cameras start at f3.9 while the TG2 is f2.0. Also I have the original oldie SW770 and it has gone down way beyond its rated 10 meters many times and still tickling fine after all these years, and I never had to replace any seals.

• Over the years of using little compacts, I've always favoured the way that optical stabilisation looks and feels over sensor shifting, for stills and more importantly video. It's one of the reasons I favour Panasonic, as I quite often like their OIS.

There's something about sensor shift that makes me notice it is there, more than optical. It's only subtle, but I find it less natural. I also find it's not as good at getting rid of the rough stuff. I don't mean massive undulation, just heavy vibrations.

Again, it's personal, but it's one of the first features I look for on a compact and walk about SLR lenses, especially the longer ones.

• For an action camera, I 'personally' would choose OIS as a priority feature over everything else.

May I ask why?

• Panasonic has OIS, the others are sensor shift. For an action camera, I 'personally' would choose OIS as a priority feature over everything else.