Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • That's the point of Sanity, reasonable bitrates but still improved GH2 performance over stock settings.

• @brandonmrsh

Yes, a while back I tested Sanity with a class 6 card, and it seemed to work. I never ran the class 6 card through my extreme torture tests, so I don't know how stable it is under all conditions. So, I still recommend class 10 cards to be on the safe side. But if the class 6 is working for you, go for it!

• Same results for me also, I have been using a 16GB class 4 card and that has been performing wonderfully. Its a really good patch!

• Holy moley, a class 4! You're really pushing the limit!

• yep ahha :)

Video is here...

• Hey guys, I have some questions I think came from the hack. I'm very new to shooting on the GH2, so any help would be much appreciated.

When I hacked the cam, I noticed that some shooting modes were deactivated (Maybe on purpose?). When I am in Manual Movie Mode, I'm unable to select between AVCHD 720 and 1080i. Now, the only modes selectable are the FSH, and FH modes (described as 1080i in the manual). Does the hack change/adjust some of the choose-able options?

Is there a rough guide to which modes shoot what? I'm trying to wrap my head around everything, but all of these abbreviations are a pain in the ass.

• @brandonmrsh

The hack does not change the shooting modes at all. Once you go into manual movie mode, there are two menu items that detemine the shooting mode. They are 'REC MODE' and 'REC QUALITY'. REC MODE sets 1080i or 720p or MJPEG. REC QUALITY then sets the quality for the recording mode you've selected.

Yes, the designations for REC QUALITY are terrible. One way to think about it is, the longer designation is high quality and the shorter designation is low quality. (Actually, in Sanity the low quality isn't so low. It's actually darn good and totally useable).

Hope that helps.

• Hey Ralph_B

I've just gone back to using your hack (Using Sanity 5 at the moment) for events shooting, and haven't missed a beat. I'm wondering though, when I copy it over to my computer and try to play it with any of my media players (I have VLC and Windows Media Player 12... or whatever the latest is) it will play the first 2 seconds and then freeze. IF I try and skip through, the image pixelates and won't play. I'm playing it straight off a SATA connected drive (2TB)... which I'll assume doesn't affect it at all, as footage from Driftwood's Moon hack (a significantly higher bitrate hack) plays smoothly, as does Flow Motion V2.

It seems that your hack is the only one I have this issue with. This tends to be a pain if I want to review my footage before I go into editing (so I can make notes). Just wondering if I'm the only one having issues with this?

It still seems to be the best hack for Wedding and Events shooting, and I haven't had any issues with recording on my 32gb 45mb/s Sandisk Extremes.

• @Daniel_R

I'm mystifyed. Sanity footage plays fine in VLC and Windows Media Player on my machine. Why don't you give Media Player Classic a try? It's my favorite media player. Also, you can try Media Player Classic in conjunction with ffdshow. In Media Player Classic options, UNCHECK the internal source filter for MPEG/PS/TS/PVE. In ffdshow Codecs, set H.264/AVC to ffmpeg-mt. Thats how I have my machines set up, and it works flawlessly.

Oops, I forgot one thing. You need to have LAV filters installed, as well, to act as the splitter. If by chance, you have Haali media splitter installed, get rid of it. It's bad for GH2 and GH3 footage.

• Sanity 5 with the Zuiko 50mm f1.4

All in handheld.

• Hey Ralph_B,

I have to say I am amazed by the results of Sanity 5.1, thank you so much for coming up with such a practical and reliable hack. Do you think shooting a 45 minute concert continuously in HBR is doable?

• @MendalFly

Yes, spanning works in HBR, but you must use a third party manual lens. It will not work using a Panasonic or Olympus lens with electrical contacts. Also, do not go above ISO 3200. I highly recommend doing a test first using the card you will use.

• Ralph_B,well thanks for this setting - greeting !!!

• @Ralph_B , well thanks for this setting - greeting !!!

• Hey guys,

Just show C roll for a local TV show. While I was super happy with the performance of the hack, I noticed at ISO 800 footage looked a little rough. What ISO do you guys generally stop at using this hack?

• @MendalFly GH2's image looks great in its native 160 ISO and then in 1EV steps (320, 640, 1280)

• Can I use PTool with Sanity 5.1 parameters on GX1?

• @darrbee

Don't know since I don't have a GX1. Perhaps someone else can answer your question. But I would tend to think not, because the parameters for the GX1 are probably different from the GH2.

• Shot with Sanity 5.1 at Glastonbury all week on 2 cams - no problems at all and looked great.

• @soundgh2

Thanks for the report. Sanity is now at the point where you can just set it and forget it.

• A wedding I shot this month on Sanity 5.1. I shot over 6 hours of footage over 3 SD cards over one day and didn't have ANY issues. Here is the 22 min edit!

• Great job, what sort of lenses and kit did you use?

• @Ralph_B 1 year ongoing doco currently being shot on V5.1 on Gh2 by chum on purely (video looking apparently) Pana lenses - 14-42 kit, 20 1.7 and 100-300 (yes really) , and looking super (he don't give a fuck as as his day job, he films expensive shit for other people with pretty endless budgets) BBC and Ch4 UK loving the sizzler and commenting on it's great look - refreshing, great stuff!

• @Alienhead 99% of it was shot with the lumix leica 25mm 1.4, with some wide shots using the kit 14-42