Personal View site logo
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd,

This is a sort of road movie shot when I went in Setouchi Triennale spring in Japan on April.

I used 24p of valkyrie 444 type-zero2, and corrected the color on original source in various ways. I appreciate this setting, very nice. Thank you and keep good work!

• @soru.. Nice work man.. What lens did you use? Were you able to get in-camera playback?

• @Aashay,

thanks! I use 20mm F 1.7 only.

I guess I could play clips in camera, but unfortunately I haven't tried. I'm afraid of having SD corrupt with doing so.

• @soru

Many thanks always for your good footages, mate! :-)

I love your work.

I have never visited these islands. I would like to go someday.

• @Aashay

in-camera playback

Please try Valkyrie 444 Lite, supposing you think "in-camera playback" as important. In all the modes, it can playback in principle. :-)

• @bkmcwd.. Thanks for the suggestion mate. I don't have a very powerful PC so it stutters with editing 12-15gop settings;neither do I have tons of space so even beautiful settings like Moon (although I like) is not feasible for feature length work I'm testing. I'm huge fan of 3gop settings like Spizz and FM and was content with using them until I saw Valkyrie footage. I think the 444 matrix is very cinematic and I wanna try it with Nostalgia as people here seem to suggest. I have a Sandisk 64gb 45mbps card with lumix lenses. Would you still suggest Valkyrie Lite or something else? I only work in 24p and 720p50. Playback in camera is a nice feature but not at the cost of losing other imp things like Details particularly in harsh Indian Sun.

• @bkmcwd Thank you again, for your reply! I'm not 100% certain of the meaning of your question, but I think that I understand. I just now opened Panasonic's firmware, in Ptool 3.65d, and in "AVCHD Movie Mode"/"AVCHD GOP Length" I only changed the 720p_60 setting to 9GOP and checked it, saved that setting, made new firmware and took a test shot. With camera in 720p_60_SH the file is indeed 1280x720, 9GOP.: http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/owencoors/00000_Frames_zps0f5d0e9a.png I hope that's what you were asking.

update @bkmcwd I just built a firmware using your 'GOLGOP3-13_Sedna-AQ1c_v2.1-Beta4' setting. I dechecked all of the AVCHD GOP Length settings except 720p_50 and 720p_60, and sure enough the GF2 used your GH2 720p settings: http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/owencoors/00000_Frames_zps41e3cc43.png Now I can confidently build a Valkyrie-444_TypeZero3-Beta2 setting (All modes are 3GOP) for using the actual 720p settings of that firmware. Thank you, very much for this!

• shot with Valkyrie 444 Lite yesterday, was only doing 24p but in camera playback worked just fine through out the day on my 64gb 95mbs sandisk.

• @Aashay

Thanks for your question, mate. :-)

Would you still suggest Valkyrie Lite or something else? I only work in 24p and 720p50. Playback in camera is a nice feature but not at the cost of losing other imp things like Details particularly in harsh Indian Sun.

If in-camera playback is thought as important, of course, image quality will fall victim to some extent. However, since "how much compromise" is up to persons, I have two kinds of variations in some settings.

Supposing you think the playback in camera, and economical efficiency as important, I will recommend you Valkyrie 444 Lite or GOLGOP3-13-A2. Supposing you think image quality as important, I will recommend you Valkyrie 444 TZ3 or GOLGOP3-13-MAX2.

The choice of which one is up to you.

• @coors

Interesting. :-)

Thanks for your report. And, please try many things succeedingly.

• @brucker

Many thanks for your feedback! :-)

Moreover, please tell me comment.

• @bkmcwd.. That makes it crystal clear mate. Thanks so much. I shall be testing out this new 'Lite' black magic you have conjured soon. :)

• is there any setting for poor man's SD card :\

• @dado023

is there any setting for poor man's SD card :\

GOLGOP3-13 (A2 Beta 6 - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/116896#Comment_116896 ) as well as Valkyrie 444 TZ3 Beta ( http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/122646#Comment_122646 ) seem to run stable on SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB cards (not stable on the 8GB cards of the same type) ... at least both settings survived my torture tests in 24H and HBR/25p modes (720p not yet tested; Auto modes not tested). Both are excellent settings!

• @towi

i think SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB i smuch faster than normal class10 SD card, so these two on that high bit rates will probably fall apart after few minutes of recording on normal SD card.

i have tried few other settings, and they record fine in short intervals, 3minutes or so, but after longer period writing fails...

• @dado023

I've justed finished a spanning test with GOLGOP on a SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB card shooting mit TV. Both 24H and HBR/25p spanned until the card was full. Bitrate untilzed in 24H was around 70Mbits, 63Mbits in HBR/25p. Valkyrie 444 TZ3 is running right now ...

• Test shoot using valkyrie 444 TZ3, HBR 25p at 1/50 ISO 800 using rokkor 50mm f1.4 wide open, minimal color grading using standard Premiere Pro CS6 RGB curve and there way color corrector. Thanks @bkmcwd for excellent setting

• @towi

Many thanks for your explanations and feedbacks, mate! :-)

Although I cannot take time to tweak Spizz easily, I do soon.

• @tonohita

Thanks for trying TZ3 and test footage! :-)

For 25p, since the feedback is not returned to me almost, it is helpful.

• @bkmcwd

don't worry - take your time! Actually I am pretty happy with Spizz (Trial 4 bkmcwd). As mentioned earlier I only wish you could modify the matrix to assign a bit more power to B-frames and leave off Top/Bottom bitrate settings (Nebula and DREWnet style... so to say). But Spizz Trial 4 is pretty darn good. Lately I had the time to do some more tests with Valkyrie 444 TZ3 and the latest GOLGOP. Damn good both of the settings in 24H and HBR/25p. For some reason my personal favorite right now is GOLGOP (again) ... I don't know why. To me it seems in GOLGOP motion, detail-sharpness and gradation seems to be perfectly balanced. Valkyrie 444 TZ3 has the nicest look (totally subjective view, of course). Spizz is the "cleanest" and in my opinion provides a somewhat wider range for color correction in post ... but I may be wrong :-) Bottom line: all three settings are really, really good. My GH3 still maintains in my camera case until Vitaly hacked the firmware... I only did some initial tests and found the GH2 with one of your or Nick's settings is miles ahead ... thank you!

jubilation over :-)

• @towi

Many thanks for your kind words and detailed feedbacks, mate! :-)

I only wish you could modify the matrix to assign a bit more power to B-frames and leave off Top/Bottom bitrate settings (Nebula and DREWnet style... so to say).

About B-frames, although I am going to adjust on GOP tables, do I need to tweak a matrix?

Furthermore, would you explain to me, since I do not understand the merit which leaves off Top/Bottom bitrate settings? Although I tried Trial5, I was not able to feel a merit.

Furthermore, would you explain to me, since I do not understand the merit when Top/Bottom bitrate settings are left off?

My GH3 still maintains in my camera case until Vitaly hacked the firmware...

I am also exactly the same. ;-)

• @bkmcwd Dechecking the 1080 modes brought undesired side effects, noise and slight rolling shutter jello, so I tried changing the 1080i GOP length parameters to match those of the 720p GOP lengths. Here is a 720p_50 test shot of GOLGOP3-13-Max with 1080_50i GOP length set to 6GOP:

In my opinion, I've never had such rock solid 720p from GF2 before this.

• @giulix

Interesting. :-)

Which setting are you using?

• @coors

Lovely horse! :-)

Can you upload this modified ini file?

• seth.ini.zip
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters