Personal View site logo
14-140mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic zoom lens, 2013 version
  • 81 Replies sorted by
  • Another comparison of the new versus old Panasonic 14-140mm lens: http://m43photo.blogspot.de/2013/08/new-14-140mm-ii-smaller-faster-sharper.html

The improved sharpness, and the more compact form factor makes the new lens much more useful as a walk around lens

Diagram of the Aperture range

• Review

Sharpness in the centre of the frame at 14mm and maximum aperture is already excellent, and the clarity toward the edges of the frame approaches very good levels.

14mm

Falloff of illumination towards the edges of the frame is fairly well controlled throughout the zoom range. At 14mm the corners are 1.86 stops darker than the image centre at maximum aperture and at 140mm the corners are 1.58 stops darker.

For a 10x zoom lens, chromatic aberrations are very well controlled throughout the zoom range.

50mm

Distortion is extremely well controlled for such a superzoom lens.

140mm

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-f-3-5-5-6-lens-review-22632

pan.jpg
    800 x 597 - 135K
    pan1.jpg
    660 x 486 - 59K
    pan2.jpg
    669 x 487 - 53K
    pan3.jpg
    673 x 510 - 49K
  • 14-140mm II vs 14-140mm and 14-150mm http://dslr-check.at.webry.info/201305/article_18.html

more purple fringe than older lens, but image look more sharper

• While subjective assessments of test shots and video clips showed them to be acceptably detailed, with natural-looking colours and an adequate dynamic range in outdoor lighting, our Imatest tests revealed the new lens suffered from the same performance issues as most extended-range zoom lenses.

At no point did the resolution recorded in our tests reach expectations for the 16-megapixel sensor in the GF6. Interestingly, corner and edge softening was less than we found with the original 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 lens, as shown in the graph of our Imatest results below.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/m4-3/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-f-3.5-5.6-asph-power-o.i.s.-lens-h-fs14140e-k

• @Mr_Moore No word on compatibility yet? Will it work with the GH1/GH2 without a firmware update?

Has there ever been an incompatible Micro 4/3 lens for a Micro 4/3 camera?

I'm pretty sure it will work with all system bodies.

• No word on compatibility yet? Will it work with the GH1/GH2 without a firmware update?

• Dude this lens still goes for $400 all dayl long on Ebay. Not sure what angle you are trying to get at here but it's not working. And yes, it's barely faster.

• Guys, this is a thread about 14-140mm. Not about ARRI zoom or 35-100mm.

• My 35-100mm F2.8 is on my camera 99% of the time. I had to brush the dust off of my 14-140mm before I sold it.

• No but in my experience this is the least used lens in my collection. An ARRI Fujinon-Alura 18-80mm T2.6 Zoom comes damn close though.

• LoL. Is there such lens that can do everything?

• This lens can't do everything. Who cares if they upgraded this. Others who can't afford the higher priced zooms, get the newer version. Both users will be crippled in the same way 99% similarly.

• "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Usually those who value treasures do just fine :)

• 200 bucks? Oh come on :)

• @brudney

The value of the original 14-140mm had decreased rapidly over the last year simply because it was a very slow lens when compared to the new F2.8 lenses. Now there is a slightly faster version of the 14-140mm, with better focus, better IS, is much lighter and smaller, and costs a ton less.

The value of the original 14-140mm lens will drop drastically now. Once a lens is worth less than 1/4 of its original price it is worthless to sell in my book. You might as well keep it. I am sure you could get more than $200 for the 14-140mm right now. However, I will not be so sure about that once the new version actually comes out.

If the quality of the new 14-140mm is not up to the original's standards then it will definitely help the original version's resell value. However, I doubt the new version will have much lower quality than the original. The original was fantastic on the wide end. It wasn't so great after about 60mm though.

• Will the new version only focus by wire, or will it work on a BMCC? Obviously the iris control or OIS won't work on the BlackMagic, but if we can at least focus, it might work (keeping aperture wide open and using a variable ND filter.)

• Worthless? How so?:)

I'd say that at the very best the new 14-140 will be similar to the old one. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bit worse and relied even more on software correction. Keep in mind it's just slightly bit faster, smaller in diameter and less complex optically - I'm no lens expert, but imho the only real way you can cheat physics is by software lens corrections.

• In my opinion, the 14-140mm is not my favorite lens, but sometimes it just gets the job done where other lenses can't. It's already a sharp and "clinical" lens, so I don't really see the big advantage of the upgrade because even the upgraded lens will not be able to be a "one lens and be done". If I sell mine, fine. If I don't, fine too.

• @mpgxsvcd: "I sure am glad I sold my original 14-140mm a few months ago. It will be worthless once this new version comes out."

Why worthless? No, really, do lay it out, I fail to get this.

• This is an internal focus lens but not an internal zoom lens like the 35-100mm is, right.

I sure am glad I sold my original 14-140mm a few months ago. It will be worthless once this new version comes out.

• Yeah 20mm 1.7 Mk II. I'm crossing my fingers for GX2 kit lens.

• What? No more double erections?

• I like it!!! I'm glad to see Pany updating lenses. Hopefully they'll get to the 20mm 1.7 soon.

• Umm, size wise i don't think i will be upgrading:-(

Good to see it still has the HD label, stepless ap and silent focus.

g8.jpg
    788 x 535 - 81K
    g9.jpg
    733 x 741 - 98K