Personal View site logo
Sigma 30mm 1.4 V Lumix 20mm 1.7 for GH2\BMPC
  • Morning all!

I am looking at both lenses for video work for my GH2 and eventually the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. They both cost around £260 new and both in my eyes have their advantages\disadvantages.

I love the small form factor of the Panny, better focal length for the BMPC and it has autofocus for the GH2 and native to both.

The Sigma is faster, generally though of as giving a more 'cinematic' image and again would be great for both the GH2 and BMPC.

The Sigma however is large and heavy, and with the adapter it will need for both the GH2 and BMPC it will become even larger...

Your thoughts please...

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Basically you already helped yourself.

I mean, the speed difference between those two lenses is really ... neglectable. I wouldn't mind 1.7, it's still fast you know.

On the other hand I think you forgot something I would indeed consider myself; the usability of my lens. Personally, I like to purchase lenses that I will be able to use on nearly every camera possible, because in this day and age camera bodies change faster than everything.

In this regard I probably wouldn't go for the Panny. Although it still might be the better lens for you. It's up to you I guess.

• @niGGo to be honest I am looking for quality glass overall and can live with adapters and form factors. I believe the Panny lenses in general produce an oversharp video look where as legacy glass, and the sigma in particular produces some lovely soft cinematic footage. Obviosuly with adapters I can use the sigma on other cameras, I think my slight concern is that with a preorder of the BMPC sorted, the sigmas focal length and form factor might be too big for the small BMPC.

• @lmackreath

I have both of these lenses and use them all the time. Their focal lengths are significantly different, so you shouldn't be thinking in terms of one lens versus the other. They're both extremely useful. That being said, if you told me I could only keep one of them, I would without hestitation keep the Sigma. Why? Despite what other people say, a half f stop IS significant, especially when you get into low light. The Sigma also has slightly better contrast - images appear more three dimensional.

Oh, as for sharpness - on the GH2 set sharpness to -2 for the 20mm Panasonic, and sharpness to +2 for the 30mm Sigma, and they will match beautifully.

• @ralph_b thanks for your comments. Would you leave the Sigma at 0 for sharpness if I was not trying to blend it in with footage from the 20mm Panny?

My only other concern with The sigma is the size going forward when I get the BMPC and also the focal length. I think the Pannys small form factor and wider lens would be more suited to the BMPC, but like you said...maybe in that case I need both lenses!

• I think it depends on what you're going to do with it. As an independent filmmaker, I don't care for lens sizes. At least not all the time. I pre-ordered a Pocket Camera myself and will be using some really large lenses on it. I think with a solid rig set up you shouldn't run into problems.

• @lmackreath

In the end, sharpness is a matter of personal taste, and each lens responds to sharpness differently. I'm a firm believer in testing each lens by shooting a range of different sharpness settings. See what YOU like best.

• @Ralph_B what mount is your sigma and what adapter do you use?.. Do you have any sample footage?

• I have the Nikon mount and the adpater has a ring to control the aperture. The adapter is by Fotodiox. I got it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2XN9G/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A while back I posted some samples of Sanity 5 vs HDMI capture. They were shot with Sigma 30mm wide open at f1.4. You can download them from Sendspace:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mrqz4q

If you want to view the HDMI version, you'll need to install UT video codec on your machine. The Sanity 5 version is a raw MTS file. These were shot on the GH2 at ISO 3200, so they're a little noisy.

• @ralph_b thanks.. I use your sanity hack and IMHO it's the best one out there!

So do you find having to guess the aperture on the sigma a problem?.. I am really still undecided.. A lot of people have said to get the panny as its small and sharp. People have slated the sigma for its age, size .. Soft look and poor mounting options.

As I have said before I just want a quality looking cinematic image.. And I believe that the sigma will deliver this over the perfectly sharp panny glass... But I suppose each one is good for its own reasons!

I assume you don't find the size and weight plus adapter on the gh2 a problem?

• I use the histogram and my eye to set exposure. At first it was a little unnerving not knowing what f stop I was at, but it seems I consistently nail the proper exposure, so for me it's not an issue. Bottom line - the Sigma makes a great picture, and so does the 20mm Panasonic. I repeat, one is not a substitute for the other. Just the other day I was on a Bluescreen shoot. I used the Sigma, but then the director wanted a full body shot from head to toe. I couldn't get far enough back to frame it with the Sigma, so I used the 20mm Panasonic. Right tool for the right job.

As for weight, the Sigma + adapter weighs about the same as the 14-140 Panasonic zoom.

Are you aware that Sigma just came out with an updated version of the 30mm f1.4? I don't know how much better it is. I'm waiting for a professional review.