Personal View site logo
Introduce yourself
  • 90 Replies sorted by
  • my name is colleen and I am a still photographer I am just beginning with a GH2 and have not done video until now. I cannot focus very well so the monitor is a test for me to see if it will be easier. Thanks for all the great info here!

• Hello!

My name is Andrew and I am from California, USA. I didn't begin exploring movie-making for its own sake but rather as one piece in a larger design. Currently, I have a grand vision of fusing experimental recordings of classical music with motion pictures, with an emphasis on compelling story-telling. So, this is my passion project and this place has been an invaluable resource on my journey as I continue, step-by-plodding-step, towards the realization of this creative vision.

Cheers!

• My name is Yan Shvalb. Im a filmmaker and a trainer in production and post. Just picked up my second GH3 and absolutely love it. Thank you for building this community and providing so many great resources.

• Hello,

My name is Piet, i am from the Netherlands from a village called Zoeterwoude dorp. I first came to this forum when i started to own a GH2 and heard about it that it could be hacked. Since then i've stayed and read comments , videolinks and topics from time to time. For me working with camera's is really a hobby which i like to do.

I've started with a Canon HV20 (which filmed on HD/Mini-DV tapes), Then came the Panasonic HDC-SD800 along. Both are obvious video camcorders. And i have done a lot of shoots with it. mostly demo reels and shorts. Then i wanted to have something more powerful and better looking video quality for filming. That is how i have changed from camcorder to a Digital MFT camera. Since then i am hooked to this GH2/GH3 department. In time i've collected 5 lenses for the MFT camera's, all in different sizes and formats. And i am still very pleased with it. Everything fits over from GH2 to GH3 so it is very easy for me to say to stay with this format since i own a reasonable amount of gear for it now.

I work with Sony Vegas "mainly" for video editing. A few years back adobe after effects was my first choice but it was more time consuming to learn. So i decided to stay with Vegas.

My Future plans are trying to make a work out of this video shooting and do world travels and take my Gh2/Gh3's along. Want to know more about me, just ask :)

• Hi all

Long time lurker on this forum. (Back when money was being raised to hack the GH2 I donated!)

My name is Keren and I've worked in the television and film business for 15 years. I've worked mostly as a freelancer as a director, editor and writer. I am now based in Johannesburg, South Africa, but spent 10 years in London working on television shows for BBC, Channel 4, ITV, SKY, Discovery etc. Currently, I am the creative director of a production company specializing in commercials and corporate videos.

I don't do nearly as much shooting as I should, as we tend to shoot largish commercials where I bring in far more experienced DOP's to shoot for me. I have shot on just about everything, but really love my DSLR's!

Nice to meet ya all.

• Hi everybody! My name is Bert, and I live in Munich, Germany. In "real life" I'm an aeronautic engineer. In terms of filming I'm what you would call an amateur. The interest in cameras started when I was still studying engineering. I did some smaller private projects and now I'm atempting to shoot my first short film. I landed on this site because I was looking for professional gear for the cost of a convenient buck. Let's see what the future brings. . .

• Hi. My name is Dimitri and I'm from Estonia. I am an IT person, but above that, cinematography is what really attracts me. I have a lot of 'film' ideas I would like to bring ti life. I am particularly interested in shooting documentaries and shorts. Basically I'm starting from a scratch, as the gear I had little worked with previously (mainly canon dslr) wasn't mine.

Read a lot about different cameras and GH3 was the one that somehow won my sympathy, though I haven't tried it yet. I'm quite sure I'll have a lot of great time exploring this cameras' possibilities. At the moment I want to try shooting anamorphic and Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 with it. My experience includes creating different special effects in after effects.

Above all I really enjoy reading, which proves to be very useful in creating scenarios and scenes for films not to mention that it helps to develop a persons character and way of thinking.

• Hi I'm John. Two months after Lehman Brothers collapsed I graduated from NYU film school with a lot of student debt. Then I moved to Seoul. Since then I've taught English here in order to maintain a middle-class lifestyle and buy video gear, and in March I quit teaching to start a video production company with another expat filmmaker. I owe a lot to Personal View. So thanks to @vitaliy and the rest of you.

Our website: http://www.nykmg.com/ My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/hadsurvivedto

• Hi all. My name is Todor, I'm budding filmmaker from Bulgaria, started shooting and editing almost a year ago, when I came back from the UK, where I lived for three years, doing everything but listen to my heart.

My first thought of becoming a filmmaker came in high school and I still remember the film that impressed me so much at that time - Buffalo '66. Unfortunately, it took me more than 8 years afterwards to start doing what I've always wanted. My love for movies also evolved with time. I discovered Tarkovsky and Bresson, whom I consider my two greatest influences in cinema. Furthermore reading Notes on the Cinematographer and watching almost every video with Bresson, posted online I discovered many similarities between us both in terms of personalities and views on film.

I found the forum by chance, while researching what should be my first camera, I was considering Canon 7d at that time, but quickly changed my mind after watching some of the videos, posted here. I can only say thanks to Vitaliy, driftwood, LPowell and the others, who made all this possible. To this day I use my second hand gh2, hacked and patched, with two lenses (nikon ai 28mm f2 and canon fd 50mm f1.4) and I don't plan to switch any time soon.

Going back to present day, I recently finished my first short as a writer/director and now I'm very much looking to expand my modest experience in narrative filmmaking, due to the fact that I started with documentaries.

• Hey there. Frenchman living in the UK. I will be purchasing a second hand gh2 very soon along with some legacy lenses. I graduated from Vancouver Film School, I currently write and direct a historical "sound and light show" back home. Can't wait to start filming some stuff, as for now I will be asking you guys questions about gear. Take care.

• Hi, I'm Nikita wit. I live in Russia! Doing photo and video shooting! Hats on 5d mark II + 14 2.8, 16 2.8, 28 1.8, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4. And also I have a rig, monitor 5.6 inches and anamarfotnaya nozzle panasonik la 7200. I want to make a good video! While dabble here such video and photo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iosVJiiXSAs

IMG_0088 as Smart Object-1рр_900.jpg
    900 x 600 - 514K
  • Greetings I'm Robert from North Carolina in the USA- basically I want to make a movie. I don't care about making a career as a filmmaker or having any other professional existence in cinema so much as wanting to make a movie using my gear, my techniques, my story, my whatever!
    I reckon my obsession started around 17 yrs ago and I can't help but feel that it constitutes a degree of insanity ha ha.

I did undergrad studies in film in the 90s, bought some 16mm cameras around 2007, and have done nothing with them due to the cost of HQ digital scans.
    The announcement of the blackmagic camera along with the recent developments from other camera makers has me excited about the future for us aspiring types. The digital age finally gives us ordinary people the ability to make cinematic HQ images for consumer prices.

Apart from that I have a real job, love old-school action movies, love to learn new things and want to lose 20 pounds!

• Hi, I'm Nishad from Australia and working in the field of IT. All my skils aligned mostly with IT. I'm really new to photography, but I'm hoping to go little deep into it. I already started geting hands on of photoshop and Premiere pro as a start. I think I have beter undestanding of technical and technology part of cameras, but I have to learn the artistic part which is more complecated. So that I'm hoping to buy my 1st DSLR camera very soon. With lots of reading and friends advice, I thought of buying Panasonic G6 to begin with.

• My name is David and I've been following this forum for several months, but joined just a few days ago. I've worked in advertising for more than 20 years as a writer and creative director. While advertising is a great career, it doesn't always allow the creative freedom I want. Two years ago I got a GH2 and now I have a GH3 to work on short adventure and narrative films. I love the outdoors and I love putting stories on film. At the end of July I'll be shooting a 9-day canyoneering trip in Southern Utah that I hope to enter in some mountain film festivals. Here is the latest sample of some of my advertising work. It's a 2-minute commercial film I wrote, produced and narrated for Chrysler. (At least, you can hear my voice.) Jaron Albertin was the director.