Personal View site logo
How to setup Dell U2410 wide gamut monitor for color grading in CS6 and Resolve?
  • As my main monitor I use Dell U2410 connected via DVI to a hackintosh OSX ML. Since Premiere CS6 is not color managed as far as I know, I usually switch to sRGB profile of the monitor to get normal color saturation. It is a simulation of sRGB color space, but it is somehow "mushy". If I leave it at AdobeRGB preset mode that I use for everything else, colors of the video are over saturated, like any other non managed srgb content on a wide gamut monitor.

I need some advice here, can I somehow adapt my workflow to stay in AdobeRGB profile of the Dell monitor, and to have an accurate representation of colors in my editing and grading software (resolve)?

I don't have an external grading monitor, nor I plan to get one anytime soon. I don't need absolute accuracy here, only some decent reference point.

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • first, I would try to set your monitor to sRGB colorspace, then calibrate it ( I strongly recommend x-rite display pro over the other calibration devices) and after calibration should be your Dell good as reference monitor.. If your colors are still bad you should invest in good sRGB monitor or monitor that has proper sRGB emulation

• Thanks for your post @hedrox.

Is there no way to use some of the wide gamut presets, and do something to the footage, maybe apply some color correction just for display purposes and remove it afterwards, like desaturate for the exact amount of extra saturation that wide gamut display ads to it? That's a hassle I know, I have to try it.

Are Apple Cinema Displays sRGB by default or do they have sRGB emulation or what?

One more thing I've noticed that in Premiere Pro CS6, the title tool displays the video that appears to be color managed, I know it is probably not, but colors are less saturated and look close to the actual footage. If someone could test this and verify, or it is some weird bug, or I am just hallucinating.

• I would not recommend using presets or any saturation tweaks as they can be way off in reality, I work also as colorist and having a calibrated display that you can trust is a must.

As I know cinema displays are sRGB only , but if you are on a budget.. I would recommend one of the cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors (catleap,crossover etc) mentioned on this forum with calibration device (i1 display pro ) and you are good to go..

• Be careful with this monitor. I had it last year and after some month I sold it again with a loss. Unfortunately I did not read this test before I bought it http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-dell-u2410-teil8.html

It's in German but I can absolutely confirm what they critizize: color custom mode has a sigificant difference to reference value and as you need ccm for individual calibration it fails with striking divergence in green. As it's not linear you cannot correct it calibration. Maybe the corrected this since last year, but I dare to doubt it. U2711 is different in this point and therefore it should be better choice

• Yeah, I know, the thing is all over the place. Have it for a year or so. I have 93 different color profiles to compensate for it's numerous quirks. Somehow managing to live with it for photo post. I have a second sRGB monitor and somehow i juggle between to "proof" anything, but I mainly rely on scopes.

It has a nice card reader thou :)

• Off topic from: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/159978#Comment_159978

@eurocameraman What standard are you calibrating your monitor too? sRGB? Custom color? Conforming it to Rec 709?

I shoot with a GH2, use 2 used Dell U2410 for editing and grading, set them up in custom color and use my used i1 Pro Basic (good unit, a little dated) conforming both to rec709. Right or wrong, good monitor or bad, it seems to work for me.

The only way I could get the 2 monitors to come close to matching is the method I've outlined. I spent many hours tweaking before I came to that conclusion. I found only funkiness using the presets and trying to match the 2 monitors side-byside. My conclusion: it was only possible with the custom color preset, the i1 pro basic, and making manual adjustments the i1 asked for.

I am happy with my results, have had only compliments from clients and haven't noticed this problem described above. I do notice when calibrating, that slight adjustments are hard to dial in precisely, that having the green level at 93 adjusting it to 90 and then deciding to go back to 93, it will settle close but differently, even though numerically all the RGB settings are the same. Perhaps that's what the German article goes in depth about.

I would be interested to hear opinions of users with the same or similar setup, to know if there is a better way? If the u2410 is really that problematic, what's a better monitor option?

• I found a very detailed review from 2009 on the Dell U2410, explaining some ideas of how to calibrate it: http://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

• Any idea if some of the newer Dell monitors are better? I've also heard that the ASUS IPS display is pretty decent.

I'm basically looking at acquiring a monitor for grading GH2 and GH3 footage/stills. I can't really afford a $2,000 professional panel, so Dell or something similar is the only real option.

• I have been using the up2414q with the dell/xrite calibration system and am very happy with it. As a bonus, it is ultra hd.

• I'm basically looking at acquiring a monitor for grading GH2 and GH3 footage/stills. I can't really afford a $2,000 professional panel, so Dell or something similar is the only real option.

I think that $300 monitor is enough http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7411/even-cheaper-27-2560x1440-monitors-samsung-pls-panels-matte#Item_22

Better invest money in good calibrator and proper workplace (check any good book on color grading).

• Thanks to both! I'm definitely going to look into the Korean monitor!

• This monitor Dell u2410 rev A05 even when calibrated still has some red and green fringes on certain shades of gray which is annoying as it can be. I have noticed that there is no fringing when it's used in video mode, connected to HDMI, and image looks ok.

So I thought that I might use it with Blackmagic Decklink monitor mini as external monitor for premiere and resolve. I know that it is far from ideal solution, but do you guys think that It could be calibrated in that mode, and how?

• To be precise with my question, is it possible, and how, to calibrate computer monitor hooked up as video monitor by HDMI cable to Blackmagic video interface card (or similar) ?

• @inqb8tr I can't answer your question in practice, but, in theory, if the decklink has color controls use them, if not, you could use the custom color profile and adjust it manually, but, I am not sure where that leaves your gamut.

I also had the good fortune to color correct a short wilm with my 2 Dell u2410's calibrated in my method above and saw it 2 nights ago projected 40 feet wide in a cinema as part of a short film festival. I was pleased to see the color "looked" correct when compared to the monitors I did the CC on. So I have confirmation, my method (see above) works.

FYI, I also noticed one on my U2410's is Rev A02 and the other RevA05, the A05 color consistency between calibrations is definitely better than the A02. They were bought used, off ebay, so I have know idea what "abuse" they saw before I got them.

• I actually have (color charts + eyeball) calibrated this monitor so that it is ok, I have also recently watched short film I've graded on a big screen and it was ok. Only if there weren't those red and green hues appearing in bright greys. It is obviously unfixable and I gave up on it. When I hook up the camera to it it also shows those color fringes, so it is not related to computer or profile.. But when I switched in OSD from Graphic to Video, fringes were gone. And I figured out that I maybe might use it as that.

• I own an FSI, an iMac and a dell2410. The Dell would be the last monitor I would consider for doing any serious color graphics, video or photo work.

• @acmeman

The Dell would be the last monitor I would consider for doing any serious color graphics, video or photo work.

What are the problems with Dell?

• @acmeman I second what Vitaly said. The Dells are quite good (considering the price).

If you use your Dell connected to a Mac, than its no wonder the iMac display looks "better" - Apple totally fucked up the colour management of OSX, so that there super cheap display look decent. But with proper calibration the Dell will be much better than the iMac display.

@inqb8tr Sorry, a bit late to the party... but there is a tool for OSX to hack into its colour management and use wide gamut display ...I just can't remember the name (and for now its not working in 10.11+).

• The only problem I have with the U2410 is the power switch. The unit keeps turning off, and calls to Dell support yielded nothing useful. So, I tied together three rubber bands and looped one end over the corner of the monitor with the power switch, and the other over the bracket that holds the stand. It works great until a rubber band breaks and I have to do it over. The fix lasts about six months.

• I forgot about this topic, but just to chime in, ever since I've properly calibrated this screen with x-rite color display pro it is perfectly looking , reliable and comfortable, much better overall quality than most new ones that I had worked on, including hi res ones like 5k retina imac

• @psyco would like to test that, will try to find it