Personal View site logo
ThrusMT Follow Focus
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Hey guys, how's the compatibility of this follow focus with Voigtlander 25mm? Thx!

• @jfilmmaker that combo goes pretty nince together...no needs to worry or blame about this gear (working several month with it and love it).greets

• @RuhrCity what's a compatible but reasonable rig, for mounted on a tripod? Thx!

• I've received my TrusMT NF2 a couple of weeks ago and even when I've not made an intense use of it, I can tell for sure that it's an awesome piece of gear. Solid construction, fluid but not loose, almost NO backlash at all. I'm not very fan of the gears that came with the FF, but they're not bad at all. I totally recommend this follow focus unit. And also recommend purchasing through PV deals, since my experience was great, with very fast shipping too.

• I'm just about to order TRUSMT NF2 or NF4, but first wanted to know what's the difference between the two and which one has the less backlash? thx

• @vic20

They have exactly same backlash. NF2 just has horizontally sliding platform, and in NF4 things are tightly connected to QR bracket.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

thanks for your fast feedback, I'll be ordering NF2 asap.

• I know this is an old thread but I'd just like to post some updates as my gear evolves. I've used this FF for some time now with my GH2 and standard pieced together rig pieces without fail. Solid. But since I've switched over to BM cameras and higher quality support gear, I've found a few products that no longer work well. The first was the Cinematics MB which isn't made to industry specs (though it was a damn fine MB!) and now this FF. It seems as though the QR section that attaches to the 15mm rods will not lock down completely. It's just a mm or two off but it cause the whole unit to ratchet slightly.

Still works pretty well but it doesn't lock down with more expensive, industry standard base-plates and parts. Bummer because I really liked this FF but when the Director from the last feature I worked on came over to look at my shot, he thought I didn't know how to secure my gear. Not a feeling you want to have on set :) Anyways, I'm sure it's fine for 90% of the people or more who bought it but I guess when you start to buy higher quality production gear, it's a expensive, slippery slope!!!!

• The first was the Cinematics MB which isn't made to industry specs (though it was a damn fine MB!)

Let's make it more correct. You wanted to use specific fixed camera base. And we also discussed why heigh of this MB is such as it is.

It seems as though the QR section that attaches to the 15mm rods will not lock down completely. It's just a mm or two off but it cause the whole unit to ratchet slightly.

As guy who had two of their FF and many rods (I think more than you had). I can tell you that reason usually is the rods. It is not FF fault. But other QR solutions may be can tolerate more difference.

It is clearly not best FF in the world. But I think words can be slightly softer.

• I actually praised both items and wish I could have kept them. Amazing quality for the price. Let's get our facts right.

(Let's make it more correct. You wanted to use specific fixed camera base. And we also discussed why heigh of this MB is such as it is.)

This is incorrect. I wanted to use it for the Industry Standard height which has nothing to do with a specific fixed camera base. This is something everyone buying that MB should know or any MB as a matter of fact.

(As guy who had two of their FF and many rods (I think more than you had). I can tell you that reason usually is the rods. It is not FF fault. But other QR solutions may be can tolerate more difference.)

I've tried different rods and even some from Hollywood Camera and the FF doesn't no lock down on any of them. Now on a positive note, it locked down on every other "normal" riser or base-plate system I used while shooting with GH2's.

So I think my statements are very valid. The more expensive support gear I buy, the less, the less expensive stuff works with it. Please notice I didn't say cheaper there. This is the best FF I've owned and wish it would work but it just doesn't. Tried it with a guys FS-700 rig too and had the same problem.

• I've tried different rods and even some from Hollywood Camera and the FF doesn't no lock down on any of them. Now on a positive note, it locked down on every other "normal" riser or base-plate system I used while shooting with GH2's.

I suggest to measure rods diameters (using good calipers) and tell me that you'll get. And show exactly were is the place that does not fix.

• Just received the NF2 this morning via the deals page. Initial impressions are extremely good. Built like a tank, no play or backlash, wheel turns silky smooth, no problem with locking down on the rails (I use the fotga dp5002 rails also listed on the deals page). Researched long and hard for a suitable follow focus and for the money and my budget (especially via the deals, thank you Vitaliy) think this is a superb buy. Will report back when I've had more chance to use it in the field.

• I've recently received the TrustMT NF2 follow focus unit and have just got back from a big day in the field and could not be happier.

Perfect size, no play in the gearbox (0% as far as I can tell), it fits my BMCC rig rod system (Zacuto 15mm) perfectly, drives even large and heavy lenses smoothly and with ease (e.g an old Tokina 28-85mm f4 zoom that weighs close to 1kg) and everything locks down tight.

The only improvement I can think of is to put some adsorbant material on the central hard stop. There can be a clicking when the adjustable hard stops and the stationary stop come in contact. In any case, it's an easy DIY mod.

The only other thing is that a couple of the parts are anodised blue, but I plan to homogenise the hardware on my rig (i.e. strip and anodise them red) sometime in the future, so it was never a deal breaker.

Thanks to Vitaliy for getting this under way. Now if I can just decide which Matte box to get....

• I am sorry for not doing a full video review after having this unit for more than a year. I have been busier than I care to be. I will try to give visuals for this short text version. It is overall positive stuff but I think worth mentioning how it all went down for me.

I received my unit quickly and nicely packaged. I set it up and quickly noticed a popping sound from within (like air bubbles in oil smacking as they popped). I contacted TrusMt, and they were quick to respond. I was going to return it but the sound slowly dulled over time, and at some point became inaudible. Then I got busy and stopped using the unit for at least 6 months. When I finally decided to use it again the very low backlash had been replaced with sloppy backlash. Again I was considering returning it, but on a whim decided to put a drop of locktite directly in the center square (brass colored) in the middle of the hand turn mechanism. Problem not only solved but the backlash is truly non existent now, and if it returns the fix is quite simple. Just be careful where you put the glue if this happens to you since I am sure someone could misread my words and glue the gear box or something and end up with a frozen unit.

To sum up this rushed bit of info. Very solid unit, with a nice feel, perhaps needing a tad more quality control, but out of two minor issues one was an easy fix, and one simply went away on its own.