Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Are you guys really using 60P that frequently? What kind of jobs?

Not questioning the need for it, just curious. Narrative, documentary, corporate, what are you finding requires overcranking so often?

• Narrative in my case, it's an essential storytelling tool for me. There's lots of instances where actors do something too fast and I have to use all sorts of trickery in post. Better to just shoot 60p and conform to 24p in post. For example- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzJ3L6nv6Fn0ZGd5dG9mTDFSaXc/edit?usp=sharing

• @Oedipax As soon as it will be possible to use it..(i live in Europe..so this product is for now limited to 50p) i'll use it for shoting sport clips..in particular windsurfing. In this kind of situation i think it's really useful to have high frame rate in order to have nice clear and crisp image of the action..and evetually conform it in postproduction to a lower frame rate..For now of course i'm using 50p.. windsurf.

• @Vitaliy i read the camera review you mentioned and at the point 12 it says: "12. Built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) allows images and movies to be tagged with location information." Is it an error or i missed something..? thanks. Windsurf.

• It's an error. You can get GPS coordinates into your images, but you must use Lumix Link on your phone/pad to push the GPS data to the camera from the phone GPS. There might also be other ways I don't know about, but there is no built-in standard-option GPS at least.

• We're pretty excited about our new GH3.

Just shot 2 videos. First one was with the new SLR MAGIC 25mm & 35mm.

Second one was with a Canon 5D Mark III and a GH3. Amazing how hard it was to tell the difference between the 2 in post.

• The review item 2 about the detachable battery grip is also an error (in that the GH3 is not the first).

• I just ran a few tests with my gh3 and I found this problem. When in camera mode I´m recording at 24 fps avchd FHD (19201080), but when transferring the video to my computer, the frame size is 720480. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

• Review by DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3/

Video part is writtent by @Voldemort , you can check it here - http://www.eoshd.com/content/9920/gh3-review

By foregoing the GH2's size advantage (c) dpreview

This guys are fucking insane. It is not size advantage, it is size disadvantage, and GH3 is still too small (for me). I really do not like anything smaller and lighter than Pentax K20D (unless it is K-01).

As for sealing, buttons and construction. It is still long behind K20D.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, wasn't the entire point of m4/3 about size? I think that many reviewers come at it from the view that one of the strong points was higher quality than and functionality than most compacts, but smaller than most DSLR. I agree with you that it's more comfortable and ergonomic to have the camera be a bit bigger, but I think they were only speaking from the view of the original purpose of the m4/3 design. Nearly full featured but small.

• I think that many reviewers come at it from the view that one of the strong points was higher quality than and functionality than most compacts, but smaller than most DSLR. I agree with you that it's more comfortable and ergonomic to have the camera be a bit bigger, but I think they were only speaking from the view of the original purpose of the m4/3 design. Nearly full featured but small.

Whole size thing is very overrated. I can understand it with GF series and LX7.

But their top model must have size that you can comfortably hold. I could require some extra payment to media so they'll find it "amazing" and "still very small, almost like old size" :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I agree that is probably why Panasonic decided to go ahead and increase the size for the GH3. I bet their research showed that GH2 buyers really didn't care about small size at all. Like you said GF and LX is what they'll buy if it's about smaller size. I think media is still stuck on that ideal of smaller DSLR tho. Maybe Canon bought into it too with their new smaller EOS SL1 DSLR. Don't get that one at all. Who is that camera for really? GH3 is better with a bit more size for better grip and more buttons.

• " And, of course, it also has to stand up to its Micro Four Thirds peers, such as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and it simply doesn't have the JPEGs or outright charisma to do that, either." (c) dpreview

This comment made me laugh. How dpreview can evaluate a camera on a "charisma"? And who is not serious enough to use "jpeg" if they want to have the best quality ?

I do not understand why they care so much about jpeg... Raw should be used, unless you have a crap SD card/ you are using creative modes...

• We waited so long for this GOLD AWARD CAMERA at dpreview!!!!!

• I couldn't care less for what dpreview says, or how they rate. I know this: I can carry the gh3, extra battery and 3 lenses (covering a huge range and low light situations) and still have less weigh I was used to with my full-frame and 1 zoom pro lens. If I was to cover the same range and low light situations the weigh would more than double... another story is the PHOTO quality and headroom.

• Check out my new cosplay video. Recorded with GH3, IPB 1080p 60p custom (flat) style -5-5-2-5 with 14-140mm HD vario and 20mm lumix lens. Graded. Using my new speed-jump editing technique.

• That is pretty nice edit Idbonilla! Did you ask those cosplayers do to some move for you?

• Yeah, most of them, almost all the fighting ones. Like Captain America and Cammy were directed, others improvised, like the Sword Art Online Girls and the Morrigan and Lilith scenes. The Bioshock cosplayers came up with that sequence all by themselves, I just told them to get in character and stage something together, that's what they came up with. And others were good by themselves, like the Samurai, I gave them a general idea and asked them to improvise based on that. I think they have some sword training, those looked like pretty effective movements.

• what program for editing ?

• CS6 Suite

• @ldbonilla

Move video to separate topic in Showcase and make discussion about it in this toopic, please.

• Hi all ! What's up about GH3 Hack ? Time is passing with the new firmware and no concrete new :-(