Personal View site logo
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @dado023

i would also try to go the 24L route, before you mess with the bitrates manually. You can still try that later. What kind of SD-cards do you own? I just have they sandisk 32gig 45mbs, but they work like a charm with any setting. not one write error or freeze since i own the gh2. Sometimes it does not span in wide high detail scenes, but then again i hardly ever record shots longer than 4 minutes. And if i have, too i can still switch to 24L.

• Hi guys! :-)

Although Valkyries have been just released, I already completed the following BETA versions almost.

Honestly, I am not sure which is better between the already released BETA versions and the following BETA versions. However, the high versions may be better when the character of these matrices is taken into consideration.

Especially in HBR, I think that the bit rate goes up highly rather than released versions. And in 60p, 3GOP is adopted experimentally.

Since there is no change about 24p when they are released, please compare in the other mode.

If there are those who test them before an official release, contact me with PM.

• These are the test samples of next Valkyrie 444 TZ2.

HBR

*This StreamParser result of 60p is that of an old test version. Please look at the bottom about the newest result.

Valkyrie_444_TZ2TEST_HBR30p_ISO160_sakura_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 632 - 546K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ2TEST_60p_ISO160_sakura_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 635 - 538K
  • 60p/3GOP

Valkyrie_444_TZ2_B4C2_60p_ISO160_sakura_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 630 - 533K
  • I am looking forward to this release.

By the way, and I am sure many would agree, if there is to be a Zacuto Shootout 2013 and the GH2 was featured again then the 444 settings would definitely be contest for some of the other cameras.

• @bkmcwd Thank you for this patch :) どうもありがとうございました Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2_BETA3 Apocalypse Now HBR30p mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pMBjYcGnteQ

• @chickenpusher

Thank YOU! :-)

It will be released soon.

• @Azo

Thank YOU for good footage!

I love the sound of ukulele. :-)

• @bkmcwd Thank you for the kind words... I love your patch it is awesome. I really wanted to shoot the video outside but I did not have the correct audio cable. I had to improvise so this is why the video is so dark. The HBR mode works great... Thanks again.

Edited because white balance issue that has nothing to do with this patch and belongs in a different topic.

• @Azo

Thank YOU again. :-)

BTW, I also investigate about "white balance issue."

• NEW!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2_BETA4 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - seta.ini - Released 14/04/2013

This is the version which adjusted safer and better from TYPE-ZERO2_BETA2 in all the rec modes.

Honestly, I am not sure which is better between the already released BETA3 and this BETA4. However, the BETA4 may be better when the character of these matrices is taken into consideration.

Especially in HBR, I think that the bit rate goes up highly rather than BETA3. And in 60p, 3GOP is adopted experimentally.

*There is no change about 24p.

I think that the freezing issue at the moment of the focusing and zooming was solved nearly perfectly also in Panny lens use.

Please try it! And I am very glad if I can get feedbacks from you.

*If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @har_k and All silent users of my settings! :-)

Of course, many thanks to @cbrandin and KING @driftwood!

• Superb-looking Pure Original 444 matrix from cbrandin is adopted in 24p mode

• Modified 444 matrix from my BETA Team in Japan is adopted in HBR/1080i and 720p modes

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24L mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound)

• Upto 75M for Top Quality HBR/FSH modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/50p modes

• Upto 60M for Top Quality 720/60p modes

• Extremely reliable top performance in AVCHD 24H and 24L

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24L only

• Fully working iA and iDynamic modes if you require them (Take care only in 720/60p)

• Beautiful 3 GOP bringing short GOP style detail & movement-rendition in all the modes

• Bush of Death / Death chart tested.

• Wonderful Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman

• Top quality 2K mjpeg Mode in HD by Nick Driftwood

• In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2_BETA4 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix'.zip
  • NEW!

bkmcwd Valkyrie Cinema Smooth TYPE-ZERO2_BETA5 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original Cinema Smooth Matrix' and 'Modified Cinema Smooth Matrix' - setb.ini - Released 14/04/2013

This is the version which adjusted safer and better from TYPE-ZERO2_BETA3 in all the rec modes.

Honestly, I am not sure which is better between the already released BETA4 and this BETA5. However, the BETA5 may be better when the character of these matrices is taken into consideration.

Especially in HBR, I think that the bit rate goes up highly rather than BETA4. And in 60p, 3GOP is adopted experimentally.

*There is no change about 24p.

I think that the freezing issue at the moment of the focusing and zooming was solved nearly perfectly also in Panny lens use.

Please try it! And I am very glad if I can get feedbacks from you.

*If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @har_k and All silent users of my settings! :-)

Of course, many thanks to @cbrandin and KING @driftwood!

• Superb-looking Pure Original Cinema Smooth matrix from cbrandin is adopted in 24p mode

• Modified Cinema Smooth matrix from my BETA Team in Japan is adopted in HBR/1080i and 720p modes

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24L mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound)

• Upto 75M for Top Quality HBR/FSH modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/50p modes

• Upto 60M for Top Quality 720/60p modes

• Extremely reliable top performance in AVCHD 24H and 24L

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24L only

• Fully working iA and iDynamic modes if you require them (Take care only in 720/60p)

• Beautiful 3 GOP bringing short GOP style detail & movement-rendition in all the modes

• Bush of Death / Death chart tested.

• Wonderful Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman

• Top quality 2K mjpeg Mode in HD by Nick Driftwood

• In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

bkmcwd Valkyrie Cinema Smooth TYPE-ZERO2_BETA5 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original Cinema Smooth Matrix' and 'Modified Cinema Smooth Matrix'.zip
  • My favorite footage with GOLGOP3-13-MAX2! :-)

• I tried Valkyrie specifically in 720p/50 mode. I need a short GOP 1280x720 clean patch and this delivers in spades. I used a fountain we have at home and the detail in this fast moving element of the water splashes was beautifully resolved. However this is at the price of much larger data in comparison to say Flowmotion 2.02, which I have been using. I like @LPowell Flowmotion a lot as it is incredibly reliable. But with fast motion in 720p/50 mode it really starts to fall apart. This is not a criticism at all as the majority of the time the picture is incredible for the size of data being written to the card. However this smaller data size means one does have a trade off when fast motion is being captured.

So my question is would it be possible to create or is there a version of Valkyrie that falls somewhere between the Valkyrie and Flowmotion. What I am after is a short 3 GOP patch that handles extreme motion, think fast pans at sporting events with fast action, in 720p/50 mode.

I have not specifically shot with stability in mind and for a prolonged period but from my initial tests of Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2_BETA4 'Apocalypse Now' it seems to be very good indeed.

• @rsquires

Thank you for the comment! :-)

my question is would it be possible to create or is there a version of Valkyrie that falls somewhere between the Valkyrie and Flowmotion.

Please point out, when I do not understand the meaning of the question from you.

Also in my setting group, there is settings set as 6GOP structure in 720/50p. This is because I frame size in 6GOP structure is greatly made rather than 3GOP structure. This contributes also to improvement in image quality. On the other hand, since the number of the I frames doubles rather than 6GOP in 3GOP structure, the reproducibility in a motion becomes good. We always consider where this balance is decided.

And this determination is dependent on the adopted matrix. In the matrix adopted in Valkyrie, there is the feature that I frame size does not become large. Therefore, I adopted 3GOP structure in 720/50p in Valkyries. Since the number of the I frames in 3GOP structure is twice the 6GOP, naturally the bit rate becomes higher.

BTW, have you tried my GOLGOP3-13s? In GOLGOP3-13s, I have adopted 6GOP structure in 720/50p. In the matrix of GOLGOP3-13s, this is because I judged that the 6GOP could realize higher image quality rather than 3GOP in the present. This resembles FM. Of course, in the freezing or stopping tolerance in the case of using Panny lens, it excels more.

Is it an answer by this explanation?

• Hi @bkmcwd I will take a look at GOLGOP3-13s and report back.

• I tried GOLGOP3-13, not sure which one but I like it too. Test was limited to 720/50p mode but the motion rendition is very, very good indeed. Shook some leaves and filmed water splashes which held up superbly. Also detail is high even for 720 when it's blown up full screen. Obviously data will change per clip as I am assuming the content of a shot will affect the overall size of the file as it writes to the card but sizes were good, although not as good as Flowmotion. I am hard pressed to tell the difference though between Valkyrie and GOLGOP? I am assuming that GOLGOP is a lower bitrate to Valkyrie. What I haven't tested is reliability but I'll do that at the weekend. This should be the acid test for what I am shooting.

• @rsquires

Many thanks for feedback from you! :-)

I am assuming that GOLGOP is a lower bitrate to Valkyrie.

This is based on the difference between 3GOP structure and 6GOP, as stated above. And the difference in GOP structure is brought about by the difference in a matrix.

In the matrix of Valkyrie, gradation is thought extremely as important.

The balance of gradation and resolving is taken into consideration in the matrix of GOLGOP3-13s.

It will depend on what you shoot which you choose.

Supposing you shoot the object which is highly minute and is moving, I will recommend you GOLGOP3-13s. Supposing you shoot the object which gradation is thought as important and is moving, I will recommend you Valkyrie.

For example, Valkyrie is not fit for shooting the trees in which all the leaves are wriggling. The reason is based on the character of the matrix rather than is based on GOP structure.

• *This is a test in a situation unsuitable for HBR or 720p of Valkyries.

*If it is in 24p, satisfactory results are obtained in all the situations.

• is original mts on vimeo re-encoded or is it source straight from camera, because kind of picture is soft, lacks sharpness to my eyes...dunno

• @dado023

is original mts on vimeo re-encoded or is it source straight from camera,

Of course, straight, no re-encoded.

because kind of picture is soft, lacks sharpness to my eyes.

Your eyes are right! :-)

This is a test in a situation unsuitable for HBR or 720p of Valkyries. If it is 24p, it is satisfactory at all.

Although the bit rate is about 65 Mbps in the super-high stressed shot as which this fine depiction is required, the file shot with the cherry blossoms is also about 65M.

That is, in this matrix, it is very difficult to reproduce fine details in the same bit rate.

Instead, very beautiful gradation is reproduced in a close-up shot.

Although coexistence of gradation and details is possible in 24p, since the bit rate which can be used in other modes is low, character inclines.

• In this TYPE-ZERO2 series, I have adopted the matrix of gradation top priority also in un-24p modes.

Although I am also planning TYPE-ZERO3 series, probably it will be the character near Spizz.

In the series, I am going to adopt the matrix to which the balance of gradation and resolving was adjusted more. :-)

• Although the image quality of YouTube is quite bad, this is the sample in which the character of this matrix has appeared well.

• @bkmcwd When is the next Spizz coming?! ;-)

• @bkmcwd I just want to clarify and make sure I understand you correctly. So GOLGOP3-13 is better for fast moving objects such as filming a baseball player hitting a fast ball, waves breaking on the shore etc, and the Valkyrie patch is better for slower moving objects like filming a band playing music etc, with the benefit of better grading. どうもありがとうございます。ナナオ

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters