Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Why is this "2K" still in this topics title? It is incorrect as far as I see.

• great to see rolling shutter is minimal!

• @matthere Well, it is an MFT mount camera. When you think about it, using the Super-16 to MFT crop factor of 1.3 actually makes a lot more sense. It's only convoluted if you're clinging to a format that has literally no bearing on this camera whatsoever.

edit - I've been holding back my desire to rant about this for a while. "Full frame," and crop factors that are expressed in relation to it, really has very little to do with filmmaking at all. Before the 5D mark II there was not a single camera capable of video, ever, that shot on that size sensor. High end cinema cameras continue to utilize the Super-35 sensor size, which is a smaller format. There is also a veritable collection of 16mm and Super-16 hardware, which is smaller still.

If you own MFT glass, which you have previously used on a MFT camera, it is much more useful to express the "crop factor" of this camera in relation to the MFT sensor size, which comes out to be 1.3x. The only reason that the 3x figure is useful, is if (A) your knowledge of filmmaking is limited to full frame DSLRs, or (b) you are using lenses optimized for full frame cameras. Since that video is discussing MFT glass, and is ostensibly targeted at a somewhat informed audience, neither is the case.

• Not sure where 1.3 came from. The BMPCC sensor diagonal is 14.32 mm. That's 1/1.5 of the GH2's 21.41 mm, or 1/1.38 of the GH3's 19.83 mm 16:9 sensor area.

Personally, I find that when dealing with multiple formats, using crop factors to convert focal lengths to a reference format is more trouble than it's worth. And since a lot of cameras these days have built-in crop modes, it's like a switchable multi-format camera, so we can often be dealing with multiple formats. I just take the ratio of the focal length to the format size. E.g., 20 mm lens on the GH2's 21.5 mm is close to 1:1 - a normal lens. A 14 mm lens on a 21.41 mm sensor is 0.65: a wide lens. An 8 mm lens on 1080 ETC's 8.3 mm is normal. 15 or 16 mm on BMPCC's 14.3 mm is normal. Etc., etc.

• here goes a nice one. Carl Zeis Distagon 1,2 / 9,5 Mk.II PL Super 16 . http://www.ebay.de/itm/111050516059?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 so that means roughly 28mm FF.

• This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but the Prores bitrate of 220Mbps, is that referring to megabytes or megabits? Does this mean I could use my Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro 95MB or do I need something faster?

• @hank Very nice find! That's an incredible deal.

@SergioLeone it's expressed in megabits. It should play nice with the SanDisk Extreme Pros.

• RE: CA and Distortion correction --

CA, at the very least, you should not have to worry about if you're using Resolve. Give me a bit here to finish exporting some more of my feature film, then I'll upload a quick CA removal test with motion in regards to the 25/0.95 SLR Magic wide open.

Now that I've learned how to do this, and it really does take but a few seconds to fix, CA is no longer an issue for me on any lens, which is a pretty huge thing considering it can be a bit discouraging.

Will throw up a link in a bit here.

• @kholi Nice man can't wait..

• Why does this thread still read 2K?

• @hank This lens barely covers Super 16 film and the BMPCC has a slightly larger diagonal. Using this lens on it will result in soft corners and some vignetting.

@Sangye The current price is no indication of what the auction is going to close at. It will likely close at a price 4 to 5 times higher which is not quite as nice.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev it seems to me the issue with RED / Sony over RAW isn't that RED are claiming they do compressed RAW, but the fact that they to a YUV transform of the RBG sensor data and compress and process the Y separately (from what I've read of the patent).

That's not what would be happening in this implementation of compressed DNG, which is already in the spec.

jb

• @fatpig 1:15AM Why is this "2K" still in this topics title? It is incorrect as far as I see.

Maybe because 1920x1080=2,073,600 )

• Personally i'm not going to worry about getting ultra wide on the BMPC when I get it. I have other cameras to pull a landscape with. In fact I might just use the GoPro Hero3 for this purpose. It's not like most of the shots i'd be likely to do in a narrative are going to be needing an ultra wide angle. With what is currently available for m4/3 I can get plenty wide for most of the scenes i'd be looking to shoot and then I might just go Anamorphic anyway so there are options.

• @Aria I'm also not worried about ultra wide. I just want to see if I use ProRes and put on a Panasonic 14mm how much distortion it will have. The same if I put on the Olympus 12mm (becoming a 17.5mm on BMPCC, or 35mm FF). If I can use these MFT lenses and get reasonable output, then great. I don't have any Super 16 lenses, and I'm sure prices will go up.

• @John_Farragut do you think some of those lenses will support image stabilisation? I think that working IS is important for such a small and light camera.

• @odessa Image stabilization would be fun, but I think I would use BMPCC mostly locked down. Most Panasonics lenses don't even have stabilization. But for the occasional heldheld shot having it stabilized would good. We'll see...

• As already mentioned, you can always check how much lenses will distort at Photozone, they compare the uncorrected frames for all µFT lenses. But I wouldn't worry too much about correction issues, now that Resolve 10 is supporting Plug-Ins. I'm sure what we need will be ported soon.

@kodakmoment: True, it will rocket now. Last year I bought a 12, 16 and 25 and passed on the 9.5, since it would vignette massively on the GH-2. Stupid me! But I got a Mutar…

• So I finally downloaded some ungraded BMCC 1080 ProRes files floating around the web to give it a whirl in AE just for shits and grins - and wow, what can I say - such beautiful color. I'm not ready to pre-order but damn, lets' put this on the top of my X-Mas list. My D800 for stills, and this baby for moving images sounds just about right for what I am interested in.

• Bmpcc shoot raw and you grade the footage in post and encode into 8bit codec

Canon dslr uses picture styles and converts raw into 8 bit in camera, so custom picture styles can be a way to make canon cameras behaves as a bmpcc...

• @apefos, yes it's possible to make "some" adjustment using picture styles but that method isn't as robust as going with RAW. For me just shooting and not having to worry about it is a huge benefit. The BMD method is just superior IMO.

• @_gl Thx I hadnt considered jello as an issue.

-I am REALLY confused about the 1.3x crop factor here can someone please simplify if I am using my 25mm summilux on this is it WIDER than on a gh2?....Was he meaning to say 3.1x?.... I dont understand how a smaller sensor means the camera has a lower crop factor than Gh2? The only thing I want to know is HOW WIDE will my M43 lenses be as compared to Gh2?

• I think he means 1.3x over m43, not over full frame

• @shian So my lenses will be wider than when they are on my GH2?

• nope - if m43 is 2x crop over full frame add another .3 to the crop, but it'd be nice if they gave the reference point, and maybe a small diagram showing crop factor vs m43 image circles as well as the full frame lenses they know will be used via adapters. I'm assuming that's what they mean because the mount is m43, so a 1.3x crop would make sense.