Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • @coors thanks for your input. man, that's a whole lot of formatting! So I did one time full format today and a few in camera ones on a 8gb/30mb san disk card and used it with moon 5, I pointed towards a blooming and colorful tree moving with the wind and the camera locked three times on me. Pull out battery routine followed. Eventually I got one shot of it after I added the flicker 50 limit. Playback still had a few issues. Checked the footage later and it is close to 80mbits no line this time since the light was good. Didn't have lock ups with 32/45mb sand disk in previous tests.

sticking to one setting: for me, I will test moon t5 with other cards and if its stable enough will keep it since I do like the image it renders.

About the line, yes it doesn't look nice at all. Nope its not a card issue unfortunately. It is not there in 720p and with ss100 in fullHD. Just the darn ss50 and 60 in lower light!? Maybe I should do a separate thread on this issue, not to mix things up here.

• So, we can change the frame rate only at MJPEG mode, right?

• @JayB38 Yes, I think that's correct. If you want to read @duartix 's 'timebuster' thread, he says that it's possible to get GF2 to also use 2fps_AVCHD, but no 360deg shutter because of GF2's max 1/30th-s limitation.

@luxis I was wrong! I too had the line at the bottom of the file, but didn't see this until last night. I had to reset the camera settings, format my SD cards, reinstall Pany's firmware, then start looking for the problem (was up late, last night.) I found 2x things, possibly, that the camera doesn't like, that I was doing.

• @alessiorock How did you do this? I installed this patch 3 times on my GF3 and haven't this result, y just have a 22Mbit/s media clip...

"WHAT A CHANGE OF BITRATE! :D Guys, I just don't know what to say. I'm no expert of settings/gop/bitrate but yeah.. Here we have a comparison of 2 MTS videos out of my GF2: - Almost same lenght of recording - Same video mode (Avchd1080/50i) - Almost same footage, cloudy day

But: - With Cluster X 12/15 Classic GOP DREWnet Trial 8 (3/03/2013) I have a SWINGING (medium) bitrate - With Cluster X Slipstream#3 (15/03/2013) I have a COSTANT (HIGH!!) BITRATE!!

What can I say? KEEP ON WORKING ON IT! Driftwood, you're a master. Is this really happening? :D"

• Please tell me - how must I handle with "setb.ini" to activate settings?

• @coors A little late on this but...so you also had the line, hm that makes (only?) two of us. "I found 2x things, possibly, that the camera doesn't like, that I was doing." I also noticed sometimes the line doesn't show up but have not been systematic enough to find out what and when. What are your findings on this?

@all The Slipstream 1b spanned without any issues in FH mode on a 32gb/45mb SanDiskExtreme card. I wanted to test the FSH but had to film too sets of roughly 45min each so had to go for the FH(this was the only card left, the other was in the GH2) The camera was fixed on a tripod. It was a concert with lots of movement and crazy lights. Lens was 20mm1.7. The quality is good and usable, for sure for web delivery. The GF2 seems to give good results in good light but in low light conditions things can get not so pretty especially in the darker areas(regardles of patch settings - damn auto mode!!!) Looking at other footage of Slipstream 1b (daylight, various lenses)it looks good with sharp image(in good sense;) with the smooth playback in camera.

Edit: Slipstream 1b spanned until I stopped it in FSH as well, under the same conditions.bit rates are in the 40's

• @luxis I first tried to fix the line by reinstalling the OEM firmware that was created using Ptool 3.66d, but the line remained. So next I reinstalled the OEM firmware created with Ptool 3.65d and this fixed the issue. I also thought that maybe the camera didn't like my choice of 1366x768 in mjpg, so I stopped using that also, immediately, and I've not had a 'line problem' since. Not very scientific, I know, but this worked for me.

• @coors it came back in mine again. i had to use the 50SS because of indoor situation. too bad it is also the only"manual" control there is and its not really working will try to follow your not scientific steps and see if i get it to go away. I am not 100% sure what Ptools I used but most likely was the 3.66d. Are we having a bug here?will double check.

• @luxis Yes, that is my conclusion as well. I deleted Ptool 3.66d and all settings built with 3.66d and I've had zero problems since.

• @coors just to make sure did you just installed the OEM firmware without any other settings? i used Ptool 3.65d to install slipstream, and just like any other ones i have tried it does give the line again...please double check if the line is gone in your camera in darker settings high iso, seems unlikely to me...unless camera mades are inconsistent.

• @luxis I'm sorry to read that you're still having troubles with this. I loaded the OEM firmware into Ptool 3.65d, the very night I discovered that I too had a line at the bottom of the clip, saved that as GF2_V12.bin, installed that and no line since then. I use 1/50th. 1/60th, 1/100th and 1/120th every day, but no line since dumping all things related to Ptool 3.66d. Here's a test shot that I took and uploaded last night:

I think that you'll get it sorted, just keep trying!

• Hi guys,

I got GF2 recently. But I am a rookie at all in GF2.

Would you tell me where the recommended settings in GF2 are?

Many thanks for your help! :-)

• Hi @bkmcwd, I am glad to see that you have a GF2. That gives me hope that the hidden powers of the GF2 may be revealed, now! "Would you tell me where the recommended settings in GF2 are?" I'm uncertain of the meaning of your question. Do you mean "in camera" settings, as in "saturation -2, contrast -2, sharpness -1, etc." or the developed Ptool settings that many have shared earlier in this thread? It's exciting, for me, to see a star Ptool developer take an interest in this camera. I am really looking forward to reading your messages on this topic!

• double the AVCHD bitrates, AQ4, default GOP

• @coors

Hi mate!

Do you mean "in camera" settings, as in "saturation -2, contrast -2, sharpness -1, etc." or the developed Ptool settings that many have shared earlier in this thread?

My question means PTool settings. Although I found some settings in early stages of this thread, I did not know for which to be recommended well.

I am working on improvemant of Spizz, GOP3ZILLA, and GOLGOP3-13 now. After they finish, I will tackle GF2. :-)

• @Alex_K

Many thanks for your info! :-)

I try it later.

• @bkmcwd wellcome to the gf2 ;) "After they finish, I will tackle GF2. :-)" looking forward to hear you input on it :) But the big issue on gf2 is no manual controls and have little hope for it. Still with fast glass and "favorable" light conditions and if used on highly detailed tight shots it is quite useful(don't expect gh2 image of course).

@Alex_K Good info, I should try it. But have you used/compared to the settings out there in image quality and reliability? I have slipstream 1b and works solid-good image with spanning(a part the no playback for the 720p in cam which i never use anyway, just for testing). Before used moon t5 the image was (as expected) better but had freezing and playback issues all the time. Yet to try the FM2 etc...

@coors The line is here to stay at 50ss.Very visible in darker shots. Using the previous version of the PTools didn't help in my case. Will try to test some other settings and as a last resort the OEM firmware plus maybe the little tweaking Alex_K suggested.

Seems to be a frequency issue of the 1080 50i vs. 50ss. If i use 60ss the line moves a little to the center. In 720 50p and 50ss its gone!

Is the "remove high iso limit" working on the gf2? Since it decides in automatic I have no clue if it actually uses this feature(can the gf2 go to 12800 anyway...or 6800 in video mode?) But I am starting to wonder if this could be somehow related to the line bug as well?

• @luxis Hi, I just installed the regular version of GOLGOP3-13_MAX, to test 1080p_50i @ 1/50th and there is no line, here. I definitely had the line and it went away after installing the Panasonic GF2 ver.1.1 firmware, saved as v1.2 via Ptool 3.65d, so I do not know any other thing that I can recommend. Based on my success I thought that you'd succeed at fixing this line problem, too. I use iso6400 on my GF2, often. It's very easy to keep up with what iso is utilized for each shot when using manual aperture lens, flicker-reduction shutter speed and iso control. Maybe AF can work this way too, I don't know.

• @luxis

Thanks for welcoming me, mate! :-)

From now on, I am going to inquire little by little.

• @coors

Hi mate! :-)

I tryed the newest GOP3ZILLA4 in GF2. I can be using it without problem in general, but in 60p, 9GOP has changed to 3GOP.

Do you know how to correct this?

GOP3ZILLA4_GF2_60i_14_S_room_sp_qp.png
    1296 x 634 - 511K
    GOP3ZILLA4_GF2_60p_14_S_room_sp_qp.png
    1296 x 633 - 536K
  • BKMCWD, 60p on the GF2 is just duplicate frames not real 60p, just in case you don't know that.

• @Rambo

Thanks for your comment! :-)

60p on the GF2 is just duplicate frames not real 60p, just in case you don't know that.

Yea, I know that. However, I do not know well how it will appear in StreamParser.

After going home, I will check it also with StreamEye.

• @bkmcwd Hi, I actually have GOP3ZILLA4_BETA in my GF2, since last night. It's sunny here, this morning, and I'm looking forward to testing this setting thoroughly today. My work around for using 720p is to change the GOP length values for 1080i to match the values of 720p. This allows 720p to operate at it's intended GOP, but 1080i will no longer work. So in short, I have to make 2 different settings in Ptool, one for 720p and the other for 1080i. I'm hoping that you will figure out how to configure the setting so that building just 1 setting will allow both 720p and 1080i to work in GF2.

• @coors

Thanks for your comment! :-)

However, I who am a newcomer cannot understand well.

If two settings which you modified are seen, I may also be able to understand.

Could you upload them?

• @bkmcwd Here are both of the GF2's versions of GOP3ZILLA4_Beta_Corrected that I use:

GOP3ZILLA4_Beta_Corrected_1080i_2fpsMJPEG.zip
    1019B
    GOP3ZILLA4_Beta_Corrected_720p_2fpsMJPEG.zip
    997B