Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • That's the camera I've been waiting on all along, It looks like a picture camera small you can do serious shoots with it, stealth mode know one would know. I'm soo.. excited about this one, are you kidding me 4:2:2 HQ ProRes & Compress Raw in this little thing that's insane. Have you guy's read John's blog about the camera yet, in his own words he said that it's the same sensor as the BMCC and the images look exactly the same $1000 for all that goodness I'm sold, Active MFT mount that only means all my Panny lens will work perfectly.

• I wonder if some 2/3" lenses would cover the S16mm sensor, like some 1" lenses cover M4/3..

• Perhaps BM gets around the SD card write limitation by buffering everything in cheap SDRAM and can easily handle the data rates. The only limitation they would impose on the user is limited recording time and a "cool-down" period after recording to allow the data to get written to the SD card. The 8GB DIMMs in laptops are compact enough to fit inside a small camera. That would be enough to buffer several minutes of footage. I'm just speculating of course, but I don't see how the data rates are physically possible with SD card technology.

• this camera also means i put my plans to get the slr magic or voigtländer 25mm on hold, due to the new crop factor. 17.5 seems the way more attractive option.

I am also curious how they want to record raw on a sd-card. on the website they remain very vague on that topic. Also raw and so much data processing in such a small case? heat issues? Still this camera looks like a real game changer and is no.1 on my wishlist....

maybe cctv lenses, that give me slight vignetting on the sensor of the gh2 are just perfect for this?

• I agree that the pocket cam will be great to run alongside the GH3 for many reasons, but there is going to be a barrow load of prospective camera owners who will be deciding based on specs, I would imagine that this new camera from BM is going to influence some people's purchases and I am just speculating about possible options for Panasonic to try and hold onto some of those sales? Then again... Panasonic are probably over the moon with respect to future lens sales (where the money is..;)

• Here's ProRes spec.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflows/index.html#chapter=10%26section=4%26tasks=true

ProRes 422(HQ) spec requires 176Mbps for 1080p24. It seems practical enough since Sandisk 64GB 95Mbps extreme card is going to cost less than $100 this year. That can record about 50 mins.

• I'm glad about this product. It will open the floodgate :)

But I don't wanna buy anything 1st release of new series.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, no figures?

Yes maybe you could cram 24fps 1080p RAW on a 95MB/s card (depends on bitdepth etc), but that's assuming there's enough margin and you actually get to write that speed, and in all scenarios.

Someone like Panny is more likely imo to use 2 SD slots for leeway & wider card compatibility (assuming they don't got for the original BMC price point where they could also use an SSD). Either way they won't enable RAW for the GH3 ;).

• Wait a minute they haven't barely release the old 2.5K BMCC which i've ordered last june 2012 and still haven't got it and now they gonna release this in July? Hope they've learned from their mistakes but for sure looks great :S

• Honestly have to say, wouldn't dare to dream a camera like this. Just a perfect tool for a hobbyist like me.

• Maybe a niche market, but if this thing can be weather sealed, with a Lumix 35-100 can be a killer camera for wilderness footage, maybe with some small viewfinder as the external one for the Nex5n.... Oh man what i'm thinking... damm you Sony why, whyyyy?

• I'm excited to see real footage from this one. Others here have stated that it will have the same rolling shutter issues like original BMCD, but wouldn't lower resolution chip also result in faster readout, and thus less rolling shutter?

Any word about what the actual bitrate of the cinema DNG for this resolution would be?

• I see no reason that the "traditional" companies cannot match these specs/price other than they might not want to. If anything, they have more resources at their disposal for developing powerful and cheap cameras. I'm with Vitaliy, I hope this pushes all other manufacturers to finally make the jump to affordable RAW, Sony especially.

I really prefer Sony's UI. All the touch screen stuff isn't really my cup of tea.

• To everyone saying this kills the GH3, that's nonsense. These two cameras make the PERFECT complement, especially since they can now use all the same lenses.

Remember, GH3 offers stills, 60P, weather sealing, time-lapse, HDR, etc. I'm planning to own both, and that makes one hell of a kit.

...the problem is most people who were going for the gh3...already had a gh1 or 2. they might be satisfied with that and go for the complimentary blackmagic instead. At least that's my logic . For now, at the very least, it puts my purchase plans on hold.

• @sammy

Most probably no.

• @_gl

won't happen, RAW has huge bandwidth demands (file sizes), you can't write that to a single SD card slot.

As you can see, you can. If you use good SD cards, restrict framerates and use compressed raw.

• To everyone saying this kills the GH3, that's nonsense. These two cameras make the PERFECT complement, especially since they can now use all the same lenses.

Remember, GH3 offers stills, 60P, weather sealing, time-lapse, HDR, etc. I'm planning to own both, and that makes one hell of a kit.

• This is a great kickass to the raditional manufacturers. Sony, Panasonic and Canon they'll be pulling his hair thinking about how to strikes back.

• @xenogears

I also hope to see same camera without screen for $699.

• Btw, in my opinion best thing in Pocket Camera is that some japanese manufacturers stop telling us that it cost $4000 to add raw to their HDSLR cameras. And that it is impossible with small mirrorless cameras.

Amen.

Maybe we will see Panasonic offering a firmware update to access raw on the GH3,

@matthere, won't happen, RAW has huge bandwidth demands (file sizes), you can't write that to a single SD card slot. If Panny ever go RAW, they'll want to charge for it on a new high-end body. Of course we keep hearing about a 'pro' GH body, so who knows ...

• Hope for not overheat, that's all.

• Btw, in my opinion best thing in Pocket Camera is that some japanese manufacturers stop telling us that it cost $4000 to add raw to their HDSLR cameras. And that it is impossible with small mirrorless cameras. Most probably it'll have big influence on adding raw to normal and wide available cameras.

I agree...well...it's the second best thing besides the camera itself ! We can probably expect a nex5z with at least updated codecs soon.

• any news if this will have 60fps in the future

• Maybe we will see Panasonic offering a firmware update to access raw on the GH3, alternatively maybe Panasonic will loose out on a whole bunch of sales to the pocket cam!

• Sure the M4/3 lenses prices gonna to the sky too.