Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Keep in mind BMD was calling the BMCC a m4/3 sensor last year at NAB when it is a bit smaller. They could just be rounding it up to s16.

• Very very interesting times, I guess no more excuses as far as affordability of "that (semi?) pro" stuff coming our way. So where is this picture taken from? Shell we expect some official announcement on their site or something? Really hope this one materializes soon and it is not just "smoke"...

• While S16 lenses will be cool, it's not the only story in town. The Lumix 12-35 will be what 35-105? 40-110? Somewhere in there? F2.8 IS? That's not horrible.

• @oscillian The Ikonoskop sensor is around that of regular 16. Regardless of what that article says, super 16mm has a longer diagonal and therefore less crop.

• @LucasAdamson Although S16 lenses may be the obvious choice, it's the price that scares me away. What's the use of an awesome 1080p RAW Cinema Camera if you have to buy lenses for twice as much (or even more)?

• @oscillian I'm pretty sure that's not correct. According to Wikipedia the S16 diagonal is 14.54mm. So not 12mm at all. Consequently the crop is roughly 2.96x.

• Super 16 lenses are the obvious choice, and considerably cheaper than 10 years ago, since the rarity of Super16 shooting these days. It may be the only lens group that has gone down or remained stationary in price!

• From Ikonskop discussion: x3.5

A 28 mm lens is a 28 mm lens. Always. What varies is angle of view. On one camera, the lens makes a wide angle. On another, a close-up. It depends on the diagonal dimension of the sensor.

Three sensor sizes you will often meet are:

1. 135 This is usually what is meant by "full frame" 35 mm. It is the size of 35 mm still-photography film. It is 36 mm by 24 mm (diagonally 43 mm).

2. Super 35 and other cinematography formats, like Academy 35. Ironically, the formats of movie film are smaller than those for 35 mm still photography. Their exact dimensions vary, but the diagonal is around 28 mm. (This happens to about the same as APS-C, or DX, in the DSLR market.) Compared to 135, it has a crop factor of about 1.5.

3. Super 16, 16 mm, and 2/3" are roughly the same size. The diagonal is 11-13 mm. Let's say 12. The crop factor, then, (43 divided by 12) is about 3.5.

So, let's calibrate ourselves.

A wide angle lens for 135 is 28mm. For S35, 18mm. For 16, 8 mm.
    A medium lens for 135 is 50 mm. For S35, 30 mm. For 16, 14 mm.
    A nice telephoto lens for 135 might be 300 mm. For S35, a 200 mm lens will give you almost the exact same >shot. In 16mm, about a 85 mm lens.

A 8-85 mm zoom lens would be a very versatile lens on the Ikonoskop. It would be like a 28-300 mm. Sadly, therefore, most 135 lenses, like your Nikons, will be telephoto on the Ikonoskop."

So 8-85mm then :(

• This pocket baby is just another marketing bullshit! Everything will change for sure (it'll be worse in some specs...)!!!

If the members of PV remember, initial BMCC's "marketing" (whith Canon mount) started a long time ago. Where are all these orders now? Some pre-orders are still in the "pre-orders" status? A lot of orders are still in the process of delivery/manufacturing.

About a year ago they (BMCC team) promised us a non-active m4/3 version of BMCC? Where is it now?

About a year ago they promised us an active m4/3 version of BMCC? Where is it now?

This whole f...ing company reminds me of the RED Scarlet's marketing (initial price was $3000...). Everybody knows what happened then...

• What's the crop factor? x2.7 x3.0?

• @stip How and where did you pre-ordern the pocket? It was 'leaked' a matter of hours ago?

• Seems to be all true. I just preordered the Pocket Cinema Camera, now let's see how long I'll have to wait for it :)

• At the price, it is hard to pass up. "Active" would mean that your Panasonic and Oly/Zuiko lenses (like mine) would work with this camera without some kind of adapter to control aperture?

Got the assembly edit on a doc feature I shot last year on two GH1s (hacked) and an HMC150 and it looks lovely. Sure, it wasn't a challenge for the camera because it was a lot of talking heads, but the image is just great! I'm cleaning up the film now and going to do score and narration next, but I'm having a hard time getting away from the GH1 for interviews. Having two of them gives me a safety and options. Adding a third that would have better DR would be perfect.

This BM compact or pocket camera would make a nice addition and at the price it is almost a "no brainer." Is there any word on when it might be available? Seems like a summer release would get it in the hands of many vacationers.

Also the picture of it seems to suggest that it has a mic in (sure it has to have that) but possibly a headphone out. Imagine how that will affect sales of the price plunging Canon 6D (moire and all). If you can run an external monitor to the little BMCC, the camera will see some major work. Finally, with the small footprint, think about how good it would be as a guerrilla cam on the street.

• @LucasAdamson @stip

With all general BMCC talk go to approapriate topic, we have one. Keep this one about Portable Camera.

• Says 1080p sensor on the banner, why does it say 2k in the title?

• C300 adored and used widely for it's reliability and no nonsense approach, Scarlet bitched about relentlessly for it's problems, unreliability etc.

lol?

For both new BM cameras, the bigger question than WHAT exactely is WHEN exactely. Having that much trouble getting the BMCC out the door I really wonder why they seem to be confident announcing the next TWO (!) cameras. I'm still not convinced these aren't fake pics.

• Speculating on specs is a nonsense. This camera may look like shit compared to a GH2, or it may compete with a Sony F55, but the specs will never tell the whole story.

I remember when Scarlet and C300 were released, the huge outpouring of scorn on Canon for the C300 specs, and the whooping with joy about the Scarlet and it's amazing specs. Well look at how that panned out! C300 adored and used widely for it's reliability and no nonsense approach, Scarlet bitched about relentlessly for it's problems, unreliability etc.

We will never know until reviews and footage surface.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev It's just important to remember that although there are pretty nice deals out there, one would need to get C-Mount lenses designed for 1" sensors or bigger, as those are the only ones who cover S16 sensors. And it seems they are a lot more expensive and harder to find.

• If the first BMCC was aimed at stealing canon users, this is clearly aimed at the gh2 hack community. Lets see -- got the glass, got top of the line SDs that will be required, and most likely got a DP4 or DP6 or some other small hdmi monitoring solution. Which means you only need to buy the camera.

That said, I'm not preordering anything until I see what might be possible with a hacked gh3 -- just watched Upstream Color and it was a solid reminder of two things

1. even the gh2 is more than enough camera for any project and
    2. shallow DOF (not 5d shallow, but shallow) remains such a key ingredient in making something appear like a film and the m43 sensor size is really great for that, and was put to excellent use in Upstream Color (especially in an indie context where m43 gives up a bit more safety on focus pulls than s35, without losing the bokeh-y backgrounds you want); would have been much harder to do on s16, although certainly not impossible.
  • @Mirrorkisser

Just check various topics about C mount glass here :-)

• wonder if there is a chance to put s16 glass on that mount with an adapter. no idea how much those lenses cost or if there are adapters. but i cant believe that they did not have wider options back in the days :)

And i will always keep my sweet gh2 body in an honorary place :)

• @Mirrorkisser Got to keep that GH body around for something, I guess...

It's a compromise, sure, but you've got to expect that for $995.

• @niggo that would be a bummer, because 7mm is probably as wide as you can get in the m43 and legacy lens park. If that equals roughly 21mm on full frame..oh boy...

• @Cde If I'm not mistaken, 7mm on the Pocket Cinema Camera would roughly equal the angle of view of 21mm @ full frame. I guess that's okay, although I usually like to go a tad wider.

• @_gl: The crop factor is not a big problem at all. The BMC was a big problem as it was too small for 35mm lenses and too large for S16 lenses. This one is S16, which means S16 lenses. I have worked two times with real S16 and I've really liked the format and I'm really excited with this one. You can pick up S16 lenses for steals (PL zooms for less than $1000 and LOMO kits for only a couple of hundreds). That means real cine glass on a camera with 13 stops DR that records ProRes on SDs (no word on what for RAW yet) in a small size. For me, that's very interesting as a camera to use for small gigs. Even just getting a body and renting a nice set of PL lenses would be cheap and deliver great picture. So if it's any of the BMCs I'm looking at, it's weirdly this one.