Personal View site logo
Real HDTV production world "hack" settings
  • 27 Replies sorted by
  • All well and good, but no-one who commissions programmes, production managers and editors, working cameramen or mates even know what the GH2 even is ! Sorry but true! Hey I have one and big it up daily, but nope, nothing - closest Ive seen is a chum using AF100 on a Redbull freerunning shoot. In the UK, from my humble experience, I see fook all GH2 footage, with no real industry impact. I do constantly ask directors mates and 24/7 jobbing shooters what they use and sadly still haven't even heard of GH2 being used (yet) in anger on a real broadcast job. Hey their loss to be honest, but there is the rub - no-one would hire a hacked GH2, and all the other chaps have 7D 5D :/
  • This is an interesting topic...but not as as straightforward as you suggest. Different producers/broadcasters have differing criteria as to what constitutes HD for delivery. Some (eg Discovery) have different tiers.

Also, other parameters such as 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 and who will be doing post-production (yourself or the broadcaster's team) will influence acquisition/delivery requirements. Some won't accept anything that's not on tape. Given that HDCAM SR can deliver 4:4:4 at 600mbps, there's a lot of variability in the spectrum of available codecs for broadcast.

The good news is that well shot material out of a hacked GH1 or GH2 is technically more than adequate for HD delivery...and some broadcasters are beginning to acknowledge this and to see the advantage to themselves in doing so. Recently the Panasonic AF100 was accepted by the BBC for HD requirements in the field. Given this fact, it's not so much pushing the hack settings to the limit to gain acceptance...it's how the camera is used and the final quality of acquired material (and an open mind on the part of the producer). If the hacked GH2 can replace the former "minimum" the BBC accepted for documentary work (Sony EX1/3 with Nanoflash) it will be a good start.