Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @P13DM

Yep, glabal shutter could be even better for multicopter :-)

• @niGGo One of my first thoughts when I read about this camera was 'Lumix 7-14mm'. They're going to sell like hotcakes, especially to people who also own a Panny/Oly stills camera.

• Thanks for the help guys.

@_gl Same problem here. Really love the specs of this camera, but shooting wide must be a pain in the ass. I guess there is no way of buying the Pocket Cinema Camera without investing into some used C-Mount lenses (or the like) - although I really don't know if there are any suitable and affordable lenses on the market.

Funny enough, I'm finding myself leaning towards the Cinema Camera v1 more and more again.

• @Mirrorkisser

It is just different camera with smaller sensor. And most 5D sales are from people who shoot video occationally, and it is mostly some small business and family stuff.

• 13 stops just like BMCC? Well if resolution will be on par - that's a killer news. Hope there will be a consumer codec as well with more manageable file size.

• @north if that thing ever gets to the market, it will blow the 5dmkiii away, which will possibly be a lot better for stills or better in lowlight. but who wants soft 8bit 4:2:0 for three times the price?

• If this camera honestly do what it says, it is perfect for studio green screen and special effects in general.

• @niGGo, 'compressed' doesn't automatically mean 'lossy'. Lossless compression is used everywhere (eg. .zip/PNG/FLAC files). You can losslessly compress RAW without loosing any information (and many cameras already do for stills) - but it requires processor power to encode so it isn't always done.

The catch with lossless compression is that you typically don't get very high compression ratios, often less than 2:1. Still extremely useful though.

The camera sounds awesome, but I have a big problem with the crop factor - hard to get fast/small wides for it. I shoot on GH2's with Panny's 14mm and 20mm primes only, and the convenience and speed is something I wouldn't give up easily. But I'd kill for the DR and RAW so ...

• I'd pretty much decided to finally upgrade from my 550D which has fallen apart in my hands after 3 years flawless solid use to a 5D mk III but damn, BM are making it hard not to try something new...

• i hope they dont make it SO mac oriented.

• Prores to SD would be awesome

• @shian

As I understand it still perfectly records in ProRes and has good DR.

Better look around for that you have at $995.

• @niGGo I guess we'll find out what "the catch" is with that this week. "Oh yeah - to have that feature, you'll need to buy our external Thunderbolt recorder, for $2000, it comes complete with all kinds of annoying glitches and such.... aren't we awesome?"

• @niGGo

I think it does not record raw internally at all, just on external Thunderbird or USB 3.0 drive.

• If this is true, I will order ASAP.

Please METABONES, if you are reading this... whtere the F&^% are you with that m/3 to super 35 adapter!?? Killer combination now.

• There is something I don't get: How is this camera supposed to record "lossless" CinemaDNG RAW on SD cards and the 4K camera only "compressed" CinemaDNG RAW on (what I believe) much faster SSDs? Is the resolution between 1080p and 4K that much of a difference?

• wondering if it'll be impossible to delete clips like in the bmc