Personal View site logo
Fostex Audio Recorder
  • Fostex Launched DC-R302 recorder at NAB.

Foxtex recorder

Seems like JuicedLink killer.

Three channels. LCD backlit levels. Headphones monitoring.

Simultaneous recording to SD card and to your camera.

Auto slate tone upon recording start.

No info on price, and no actual photos yet.

More details at:
     http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/latest_news/EFpkuAAElFRSSZGVPA.shtml 

I hope to see audio recorders that will record constantly since they are on and
    record button will only make new file to make editing faster.

Available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-DC-R302-3-channel-channel-Recorder/dp/B008YOBUDK/

• 59 Replies sorted by
  • very interesting if preamps are low noise, and at the right price point!
  • What evero said.
    Thank for the update Vitaliy
  • looks real good, but out of my price range. I am beginning to get really itchy about h4n/dr100 replacements. I mean the h4n came out so long ago, surely it should be updated soon right? It sold amazingly well and they have no reason to make new product when they're making this much money, but it's still such a long time it's been out. + The next generation should be real good. Any thoughts on when we might see h4n/dr100 replacements for 300$ pricepoint?
  • Very cool, although four channels would be even nicer :)
  • I found intresting small device. Zoom H2.
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/
    Low prize and small size. I do not know anything about it, but specs are promising.
  • Must ad that i use quite complex system. Laptop with sonic core xite-1 or audio cotrol 1 from native-instruments.
    I also looking for quality portable device.
  • @otcx, please stay on topic.
    Zoom H2 as well as laptop system is not related to Fostex recorder.
    Just make separate topic for both (like Opinions about Zoom H2) and (Recording on your laptop).
  • Any news on this recoder? It was supposed to come out in the fall, but we still haven't seen it...

• DC-R302 recorder mounted on a tripod with camera. http://www.fostexinternational.com/public/images/news_img/DC-R302mounted.JPG

more photos of the device on Fostex Japan

http://www.fostex.jp/products/DC-R302

price Standard price: ¥ 95,000 = $1236.50 US (today's price) (¥ 99,750 tax included) ??????????????

• MSRP in the audio world is never what you are going to pay in the store.

My guess is they are going for a $999-899 street price on this.

• Seems that it is in stock in the UK for 800 pound. Damn, I was on my way to buy a fostex frle but depending on the price it could be a better investment.

• I see it over at http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/fostex-dcr302-dslr-audio-mixerrecorder-p-811.html for £899.00 incl. VAT.

On the US side I would expect it to be around 899 as well but in USD ;) gear is soooo expensive in europe.

• It seems to be a good 100 pound less here

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb_product_detail.php?id=2306

Personally I don't know those companies at all. Lets hope we get a review soon, it could be the best solution below a $ 2000 sound devices.

• Anyone here tried the Fostex DC-R302? Seriously thinking of picking one up. The Fostex FR-2LE has famously good preamps, and I'm hopefully assuming that the DC-R302 will have the same pres. 3 XLR 2 channel does sound nice, too. My only concern is that it does not appear to have TRS input.

• The specs are not as good as the FR-2LE. So the internals are different, how different, I can't say since I already have the FR-2LE I can't buy it for fun.

• @DrDave which specs, specifically?

• Well, for example THD is .1 percent. So maybe that figure is overrated, but it it should not be that high in a well designed circuit unless there is a tube in there. Which I doubt. The fact is, for location work, the noise floor is really high. But I doubt it is the same circuit.

• @DrDave

I really suggest you to look on THD numbers for any real speaker or headphones :-)

• The reason the THD number is interesting (at least to me), is because it is ten times greater than the older model. It isn't interesting in and of itself, it simply shows that the circuitry is different--and, presumably, decontented. When a manufacturer specs lower on a successful model line, it simply makes you say, whoa, why more noise?

THD on a converter/preamp is a different type of noise than a passive circuit. So for example, the RME FF400, which is not the top of the line, it is in the middle of the line, has a THD of .001, and we know that RME is conservative with its numbers. RME even breaks down the different stages into separate figures.

The FR2LE has a THD of .008 to .01, which is fine, but nothing special. Switching over to headphones, the HD 650 has a THD of .05, the HD 600 is .1, and then we get to the newest Fostex, which is .1 percent. Now it is much, much harder for Sennheiser to make an HP membrane that puts out .01 THD, and it is trivial for a simple chip-on-board to do this.

The RME unit has 100 times less THD than the newer Fostex. Plus, they use programmable circuits, which cost more. That means that if they discover after a few years that the box has a design flaw, they can fix it by sending a command through software--rewire the circuit in some cases (not all cases, you can't rewire the ground wire, obviously), remotely. It is actually harder to use a circuit like this to get those ultra low specs, and the circuits are way more expensive.

A pair of B&W speakers--which is what we use here in the studio for mastering--runs about 1 percent THD in the bass and .5 in the midrange. When you think about it, this makes perfect sense, even with very good materials, a large flexible cone is not going to vibrate perfectly, nor will the axis stay centered in the magnet motor armature.

Really expensive speakers--ones with horns, if you can believe it--don't list THD, because they can't really beat that 1 percent figure. It isn't impossible, but it vibrates. You can pick up an Acapella Audio Arts Sphaeron Excalibur for a quarter mill, but you won't have THD satisfaction. http://www.acapella.de/img/Sphaeron.jpg

A typical high end system might have $10,000 invested in the speakers. Let's take the Monitor Audio Platinum PL300. THD? Well, not published, but it must be good. Or not.

I do like the horn on the old Victrolas--the only way to listen to the Caruso records is through the original horn. It is like nothing else.

Where did they cut corners, if they did, on the Fostex? By using cheaper chips, they saved maybe a dollar a box, and they charge you more. Or they made a mistake in the circuit. Take your pick. Even more funny, it may be a typo.

However, it may sound OK--I'm just saying it isn't the same circuit. The FR2LE sounds great, but if you look inside it has cheap opamps. But it is a very well designed box, you don't even need to upgrade the opamps, it sounds fine stock. And even the best mics have some distortion, and a desirable part of the tube sound.

• @DrDave

I really do not understand purpose of this long post. And rants about 0.1% THD.

As I said and you checked, THD for any device you can use to reproduce sound is larger.

All such rants are unfounded and have really no use for any people who really want advice or real information about device.

• I agree, Vitaliy, THD, and many other specs, are not that interesting for evaluating gear. You have to listen to it. It is only interesting if you want to guess what the circuit is without buying it.

I'm trying to answer the question that was asked, are they the same preamps? I can buy the box, take the top off and take a look, but is is pretty expensive--so in this case I need only to look at the specs. I don't think it is the same preamps, based on the big difference in the specs, but of course it could be a summing bus issue.

I think I have answered this question as best I can, trying to be helpful. As someone who build preamps and mics, for my own use, I would never design a circuit with a THD that high, and I'm happy for anyone to borrow one of my preamps and try it out. I think you can hear the difference from a noisy opamp, and the circuit is socketed so you can compare different opamps.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my opinion.

• for the ones that currently own this, what are your impressions? how is the noise level compared to the FR-2LE? I am looking at getting one for its ease of use with dslr.

i read that the infra red record sync function doesnt work with the 5dmiii because the sensor has been relocated to the grip and so a clean signal cannot be recieved. Has anyoen noticed the positioning of the wifi bluetooth sensor on the GH3, if it has an external one? Does anyone know if the GH3 still uses the 2.5 jack for remote shutter or is it now sharing with the 3.5 mic in jack?

• Does anyone own the Fostex DC-R302 and could help me out?

I really have problems getting a good signal in and out of that thing when I use it with a Rode NTG-3 or Oktava mic. I have to get really close to the person and if this is not possible I have to boost the signal to the maximum (Gain "H, level 8-10). With Rode lavs, it is significantly better.

Then, when I feed it into my GH3 through the mic out, the signal is again quite low and I have to boost the shitty pre-amps of the GH3 in order to have a decent level.

Similar with the line out going into a FS700.

I hope I am just a dumbass and missed something. Probably it is not intended to be used as a mixer at all....