Personal View site logo
SEETEC 5.6" 1280x800 monitor
  • 52 Replies sorted by
  • I am torn between the 5.6 Seetec and the 5.6 metal one. Can anyone comment on the style of focus peaking that is implemented? Is the metal really worth the extra $80? I haven't seen a thread comparing these monitors which seam to have similar specs (are they the same but in different body?)

I love the look of the 7" Ikan clone but I only need and want a 5.6" monitor.

• @RatLabProductions

If you want my advice, get metal monitor or, better, Neway. And it is not Ikan clone, it is exact same monitor.

• I love the look and features of the 7" Neway but only want a 5.6" so I can use it on a shoulder mounted rig for focus and 7" looks a bit too big. Do you know if Neway has plans on releasing the ikan 5.6" one?

• vitaliy, are you recommending the metal one just for the metal, or are there other things about it that make it better?

• I'd like to know too. What's the difference between the two monitors? Just metal build or any changes in focus peaking etc.?

• @Madmanden

We don't have non-metal version of XLB monitor on deals for long, it had stretching and some other issues.

Metal one is significantly better and tougher.

As for SEETEC one, it is quite good. I did not saw any complains. Just works.

• Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev. The metal one looks nice and is probably the one I will get soon.

• @slacklaporte I don't own the Seetec to tell you buddy! lol.

I don't see any user reports on the Seetec except from @tired (thanks!). Can anyone else owning the Seetec 5.6" monitor report on how they like it? Strengths and weaknesses?

Just looking at the specs I like the HDMI in and out and focus peaking, but, want to know if it has any issues with stretching the image, or, if the color reproduction is good or not so good?

I reported on these issues with a Lilliput 5.6 I used to have in a long post when I first got my H056 from the PV deals and wrote up a comparison. I am hoping a Seetec owner can now help me out, since I am looking for a monitor with hdmi in and out.

The stretching issue (on a Lilliput) can be seen here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/6b/c313275df70d0644c3e324a3d8bffc.jpg

And example of not so good color reproduction (green tint) on the H056 here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/85/13e25144d8a9277f91c3abf82b6390.jpg

Thanks.

• @CFreak

As far as I remember Seetec had only one issue - no sensing input signal in PAL bodies switched to NTSC or something like it. We had some tip on forum how to overcome this.

• I just received mine yesterday (plastic Seetec 5.6). I will test and report results as soon as I get my hands on a battery.

• @cplumb thanks in advance!

• @cplumb any thoughts on the Seetec monitor?

• Just received the SEETEC 5.6 monitor (the less expensive plastic one). Initial impression is that it's pretty good. Pretty sharp for focusing. The sunshade is nice. I like the size - the 5.6" is good for framing shots, but not too big which I guess a 7" would be for me. It's pretty light even with the battery on. I haven't really checked the colors in too much detail, but it differs from the LCD, but once I try to adjust the color settings on the monitor I'll report back. There is a focus peaking, but I haven't used that in the past so can't really judge quality of that, but I turned it on and the in-focus areas were peaked on the monitor.

My only question/complaint - I didn't see an battery indicator. Not a deal breaker as I have 2 batteries, but does anyone know if this has a battery indicator and how to turn it on?

I also like it to play back clips - the 5.6" screen obviously better than the smaller LCD to review clips and this monitor has a volume control. You can listen on a speaker or thru headphones, and unlike the GH2's speaker, the volume is loud enough to properly hear.

It's build quality is pretty good. It's plastic, so I wouldn't drop it, but if you don't bang it up, it looks solid enough. Some might prefer the metal one for solidity.

Bottom line: I think it does what I want - a bigger screen to help focus, bigger screen to frame shots, and allows me to play back and review clips on a bigger screen where I can hear the audio. This is my 4th purchase from PV deals and I'm now 4 for 4 being satisfied. Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev

• Does this monitor work with BMPCC?

• Thanks in advance for your efforts to help me. The monitor does not receive a signal from my Panasonic GH3 in 'live/recording mode'.

I just bought 2 of these monitors from Seetec. The service from Vitaly and Seetec was terrific by the way. Received them after just a few days.

As you can see it is designed to work with several Canon, Nikon and Sony camera's. That's why I could suppose it should also work with the Panasonic GH3.

When I connect the monitor to the camera, I get a 'no signal' message whatever I do. The strange thing is that, when I go to 'playback' mode on the camera and play back some old recorded clips, the monitor receives the signal and works!

So this rules out that the monitor or cable is broken. I have almost no settings to play with on the monitor. On the GH3 I tried different framerates, shutter speeds and turned Vierra Link on and off. Nothing seems to help.

Am I missing something? Do you have any idea why this might happen?

Thanks!!

• When I connect the monitor to the camera, I get a 'no signal' message whatever I do.

Huh, as I remember on first page @tired mentioned some issue.

As I understand it can happen with PAL only cameras, can be also related to cable used. Do not remember how but he solved it. Try pressing various buttons after connecting camera.

• Thanks Vitaliy,

I have tried 2 monitors and 3 cables so the problem is definately not the cables. I do have a PAL GH3 indeed... But in the 'Output' option in the menu, I have also tried changing the output mode to NTSC and various options as 1080p/1080i, etc.

It does not make any difference. But whenever I go to 'playback mode', immediately the monitor receives a signal and plays the clips back just fine.

I have no idea what's going on now but it seems like it's a dead end.

• @Stab

As I said - connect monitor and try pressing all the buttons on monitor. Also send @tired PM.

• @Stab I have a GH2 and I think I remember that the HDMI out to a monitor doesn't work if you're using the "ETC" mode. Maybe it's the same with GH3. Are you using ETC mode? If so, maybe try without ETC mode on. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

• Breaking news (for me)

I randomly got it to work. I was just messing around with the buttons and it suddenly worked...

So when I turn on the camera and the monitor, I first have to go to playback mode on the camera so the monitor gets the signal. Then I have to press 'Camera' on the monitor and quickly change the camera back to live view / recording mode.

Then I have a signal and output on the monitor :D

Very strange, but at least it works. Right, very happy now. Thanks for the fast shipping and service Vitaliy!

• Very strange, but at least it works. Right, very happy now.

I told ya to play with buttons :-) It is strange, I know.

• I have this monitor now and it's pretty sharp and useful for receiving SD wireless signal from a DJI Phantom quadcopter. Only issue is that there is no image flip option in the menu - and can't find a manual for it. Anyone used the image flip?

• @mickos How do you connect SD to the monitor?

• The monitor is fantastic for its price. Very, very pleased so far, aside from being a bit difficult to color-correct it in relation to what you see on the gh4's lcd screen, other than that, it's a fantastic tool. very much recommended.