Personal View site logo
Graphics card for video editing
  • 129 Replies sorted by
  • @tonalt I was just asking, because it took me awhile to notice this function personally.

• @driftwood Sorry for the late reply. I have upgraded to a beast Hackintosh and started testing Sedna AQ1 again. Flowmotion was giving me the occasional strange flickering banding effect that I saw another user refer to as "rain". Thanks for all your hard work.

UPDATE - No problems now in Premiere. I have yet to test Final Cut Pro X. Apocalypse Now Intravenus 2 is also working great. I love the new noise grain! Please keep doing what you're doing :-)

Specs: Mac OS X 10.8.2, Premiere Pro CS6, Intel i7-3930k (Overclocked to 4.6 GHz on 6 cores), Corsair 32 GB 1600MHz DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 2048 MB, 2 x Sandisk 120GB SSD (Raid0) for OS, 2 x Sandisk 240GB SSD (Raid0) for current projects, 2 x Seagate 3TB 7200RPM HDD (Raid0) for storage, 1 x HDD Hot Swap Bay for backups and additional storage

• How much VRAM do you need on your graphics card to have smooth preview of Da Vinci Resolve grading files up to 2.7k? I can't find an exact answer anywhere...

• @Dreamcore

Check first post. it is link to official DaVinci guide on this.

• I have a guy offering to trade me a quadro 4000 for my water damaged gtx 690 (that I can't get working) any thoughts on this? he says his 4000 is an early engineered model so it doesn't look like retail version? does this mean there is a possibility that it may be missing a lot of they key features of a official retail model?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I recently upgraded from an Nvidia GTX 260 to a PNY Quadro 3800 and it works very well running both a 30-bit NEC PA271W reference monitor and a Toshiba HDTV via DisplayPort cables. While the GTX 260 worked well with the Mercury Playback Engine in Adobe Premiere CS5.5, it lacks the 1GB RAM required by CS6, and doesn't support the NEC's 30-bit color depth. For 30-bit color, you'll want to verify that the Quadro 4000 you're considering has at least one DisplayPort adapter.

• So, for you dudes that are running the GeForce 560 GTX, is it worth upgrading to anything newer for PP CS6? It's running pretty well for me, although I'd like to see rendering go a little faster.

• @LPowell

it lacks the 1GB RAM required by CS6

I have recently upgraded to CS6 and My GTX260 with 896MB ram works. What did not work for you, did you just get poor performance or could not get it to run mercury at all?

• @inqb8tr The Mercury Playback Engine in CS6 requires an Nvidia card with at least 1GB RAM to run in GPU mode. Less than that and it runs in software mode.

• My Gt240 Zotac Zone Edition is freezing video playback in the Ivy Bridge 3570k platform when there is a dissolve in timeline. Video freezes but audio and timecode keep going on playback.

System configuration hardware and software is all ok, all compatible recommended hardware and fresh formating and software install. when I disable Mercury playback Engineering video freezing disappear.

I am thinking about to try a PCIE 3.0 GT640 or GTX650 or GTX650Ti

• @LPowell

But, I can select hardware mode. See:

Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 7.42.39 PM.jpg
    1428 x 1055 - 541K
  • my post from earlier is wrong, he's wanting to trade a quadro 5000 for my destoryed 690

• @superset...

gtx560 seems to run everything in cs6 really well, I recently (like a week ago?) upgraded the nvidia drivers, and it said my gtx 560 now runs all the raytracing in AE like 76% faster...

I dont see a need to upgrade at the moment...

any other thoughts on it? Cuz if there is a really big reason to bump up from the 560... i would like to know..

• @flaschus Just to give you an idea of my render time:

i7-2600K 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2GB RAM, hacked TXT file to enable Mercury Playback Engine

Rendering 5 second GH3 MOV to H264 1080P/24p 10Mb VBR 2-pass takes just under 2 minutes to complete. I'm applying some Luma Corrector, Brightness/Contrast, Luma Curves and Unsharp Mask to the clip.

What kind of performance are you seeing?

• @superset

sounds like maybe you need to re hack the txt file in cs6?! that render time seems high.

I do not have a gh3 though. =)

• @flaschus I have the Mercury Playback Engine (GPU) option enabled in the Project Settings. Before editing the TXT file, I could only select the Software Option.

• Can I use this card with CUDA support. Is it sufficient for editing by Sony Vegas Pro 64.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4217#ov

(My Cpu: Amd Phenom II x4 955 3.2)

• Nvidia unveiled the superpowerful graphics card this morning. With 2,688 CUDA cores, 6GB of GDDR5 RAM, and 7.1 billion transistors packed into the 10.5-inch frame, Titan's capable of pushing 4,500 Gigaflops of raw power. Price - $1000 :-)

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/nvidia-gtx-titan-announce/#continued

• I have a GTX680 that I upgraded from a gt640 and I honestly have seen no performance difference in scrubbing, rendering, or encoding. The system is a Dell T7500 6core Xeon, 48gigs of ram, 4 monitors, 3 24inch s-ips HPs and a 55inch Pany Plasma. Raid 0 for footage, project files, scratch, OS all on separate HDs. Not that the system is slow at all but there is a bottle neck and it's CPU and HD setup and definitely not the GPU. During rendering, scrubbing, exporting projects with non CUDA supported efx the CPU under resource monitor is getting taxed at 75% while GPU is around 6%-12%. If your on a budget you can honestly get by with a 2gig gtx650.

• The card doesn't do much unless you have some serious stacking, and even then the system can slow down because the other components cannot keep up.

• For what it's worth, I edit on an HD 4670 with an Athlon II x4 635, 16 GB ram, and with applications on one 7200rpm hard drive and data on a second 7200rpm hard drive, using Vegas Pro 10. I have no issues even with two streams of hour-long GH2 and GH1 MTS files with 40Mbps hacks. I used to use NeoScene on my dual core machine, but now I find I don't need it.

• Cuda users should upgrade to the latest version 5.0.45 which is OSX 10.8.3 compatible:-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.0.45-driver.html

• i upgraded to that version and i cant select other cuda engine in Adobe premiere pro cs6,

I have EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Gddr5

Nevermind figured it out, but i have one question if anyone can help me out.

I built a custom hackintosh and its running great and i installed drivers for cuda/nvidia and my card is named as the serial not GTX 650 Ti, Do i need to change that? or update somthing?

on after effects i see,

Nvidia Geforce Pre-Release D14P2-30 OpenGL

"Texture memory: 1024 Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation Renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce Pre-Release D14P2-30 OpenGL Engine Version string: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.10.44 304.10.65f03 OpenGL Version: 2.1 Has NPOT support: TRUE Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE Has Shading Language support: TRUE Started compilation of GLSL shaders Successfully finished compilation of GLSL shaders Ignoring SM4.0 check for cards on mac Return code: 3"

• guys, i have read this thread again and again but i still hesitate between GTX680 4Go and GTX660Ti 2Go (oc). it's 200€ difference and from what i've seen, the 660ti seems to be good enough for me.

i have a question. excepting multi monitoring, where would be the differences between GTX680 2Go and GTX680 4Go?

• With GeForce GTX 660 Ti I can edit in Davinci Resolve in real time. In After Effects, there is no real benefit about powerful graphics card because most operations uses just pure CPU power.

Could someone tell me, in which video editing application having more powerful card than 660 Ti would show clear speed benefit?