Personal View site logo
Strange Pulsing Diagonal Pattern in GH2 Hack Footage aka rain
  • 70 Replies sorted by
  • I have a mainconcept version with GUI set. This filter is not used from cinestar nor Adobe, but I was able to discover the difference in register from deblocking ON and OFF. I used this filter with graphedit for test, so I'm sure that this is the problem. Default is zero, with deblocking ON. If I set deblocking OFF the value change to 2. My test on the cineform mainconcept filter work well with 2 value. Jast I have more time, I can try to understand what happen with value set to 1.

• Allowed value for "deblocking" are 0, 1 or 2. 0 mean "standard" 1 mean "reference only" (don't ask to me what is this...) 2 mean "disabled"

• Wish we could find a way to disable it for CS6! Maybe if you patch some files?

• @willyfan thanks for the new information. did you find difference when using 1 or 2? the value 1 also works to avoid the GH2 problem or just the value 2 works?

Also, are there advantages in installing the Mainconcept GUI? Changing values in the GUI can avoid changing values in windows register? Is it a software for transcoding video or a codec pack?

• Did anybody find a way to disable it on the Mac?

TIA

• @apeflos No advantage with mainconcept GUI. Avery software use his own filter, so you change in GUI only the filter installed in directshow but not the cineform one, nor CS6. The value 1, "reference only" I think that it apply deblock only on I frame. I don't know if it is a advantage, I think that is better "disable" @meierhans I tried to work on Adobe importer. Adobe use for h264 import a plugin named "ImporterMPEG.prm" located in polugin folder. May be that with a patch on this file it work... Don't try to change this file with the CS 5.5 one: don't work!! Unfortunately, the only alternative for the import plugin h264 in CS6 is always MainConcept, I tried it but it has the same problem and you can not disable the deblocking. @nomad I don't have a MAC for test, If someone want try, I suggest to start from System Preferences > Choose View > QuickTime > Advanced And check if there is the deblocking option.

• Can anyone provide a raw MTS file that has rain when decoded with the bad decoders?

• @balazer I could. You want to see what it looks like?

• I want to test different decoders.

• @willyfan

This IS a deblocking decode filter problem, absolutely. And it is a problem from mainconcept. The best thing is disable deblocking in ALL mainconcept filter installed.

This hack would be worse than the digital rain disease it's intend to cure. The decoder's deblocking filter is a crucial component needed to smooth the horizontal and vertical edges between H.264 macroblocks. The encoder uses its deblocking filter to construct the internal reference frames that are used as the starting point to encode P and B-frames. If the decoder does not use its deblocking filter to reconstruct the reference frames in exactly the same way the encoder did, decoded P and B-frames will be contaminated with macroblock artifacts that cannot be cleanly filtered out in post.

• @lpowell blimey now I have to UNDO those reg changes...why do you have to be so smart and yet put out a "broken" patch? just saying. Not personal.

• @radikalfilm

...why do you have to be so smart and yet put out a "broken" patch? just saying.

Go ahead, blame the messenger all you want ;-P

• @LPowell I'm using from many months this hack on my cineform conversion. Quality is very good and no rain effect. And, on the other hand, some h264 decoder (like coreavc) have a better deblocking, o different from mainconcept. Coreavc with deblocking activate don't have any rain artifacts. I know you are right, but the fact is that the rain effect is worse than decode without deblocking.

A question: If the deblocking filter is so important and needed, why some decoder have the option for disable it? In Coreavc you can disable deblocking in GUI, and also some mainconcept installation.

• Disabling deblocking saves CPU time. It trades accuracy for speed, when your CPU might otherwise be too slow to play back the video.

Deblocking is part of the h.264 spec. Compliant decoders all do deblocking the same way.

• I stumbled across a good example of diagonal rain, and from a few tests it appears pretty clearly to be a problem of the decoder not performing deblocking.

In-loop deblocking is part of the h.264 spec, and compliant decoders must do it. But some decoders will skip the deblocking to save CPU at the expense of accuracy. Some decoders will skip deblocking only when playback gets behind, so as to allow it a chance to catch up. The errors accumulate over the length of the GOP, so longer GOP footage tends to exhibit the problem more. This is a tricky problem to diagnose: it depends on the encoder, the decoder, and in some cases the conditions at the time of decoding.

I've uploaded three files: http://www.mediafire.com/?aqw7u5x2g2x8u

• a raw camera GH2 MTS file that shows diagonal rain when deblocking is disabled

• a file transcoded with deblocking disabled in the decoding (shows rain)

• a file transcoded with deblocking enabled in the decoding (no rain)

Both transcoded files were encoded with deblocking disabled.

I slowed and lightened this video for YouTube to make the rain clearer through YouTube's compression. Make sure you switch the quality to 720p.

Using ffdshow as your decoder, there are three settings that must be unchecked to ensure deblocking is always performed: in Codecs, with h.264/AVC selected, uncheck "skip deblocking when safe” and “skip deblocking always”. In Decoder Options, uncheck “skip h264 deblocking on delay”.

• It seems I found a way to solve the diagonal rain pulsing pattern problem.

I am not sure yet.

I am doing tests.

If I find it I will upload the patch here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11805/the-apefos-settings#Item_45

• The issue is related to the Deblocking Tables.

• Problem is solved.

• OK I'll bite, how do I fix it? Edit OIC, loading now tum tee tum tee tum....

• How I solved/fixed it:

I perceived that a grey surface is where the rain shows itself more, so I started correct exposure in a flat grey wall and start to underexpose a third fstop each time from f3.5 to f22 to get a dark image.

the main matrices, (scaling tables) was in a design to be a multiple of 6 or half six in all positions, or it was in a design to be 6 in the dct number and multile of 2 in the other positions. So I did a try to do the same in the deblocking tables, and then the diagonal rain pulsing pattern disappears.

First I set the deblocking intra and inter with 1 (one) in all positions. This means no quantization at all. Problem was solved but some macroblocks shows up.

Then I did a try in 6 in all positions, 6 was the dct number in all the scaling tables with other positions multiple of 6 or 3. It worked until the image got 3 fstops underexposed, then the rain appears, so I perceived that I should increase the deblocking values.

So I increased the deblocking intra all to 36 and keep the deblocking inter all 6, rain disappears. but some mud happens, it was so much deblocking.

Then I lowered it to 18 in all intraframe positions and to 3 in all the interframe positions. It worked ok, enough debloking and rain keep away. I did a try in 12 in all intra positions but not worked, 18 was ok.

so the deblocking intraframe is

018 018 018 018

018 018 018 018

018 018 018 018

018 018 018 018

(018 in the intra deblocking was ok to deblock the image, no need more, I saw the image frame by frame in 400% zoom, light, shadow and gradients)

and the deblocking interframe is

003 003 003 003

003 003 003 003

003 003 003 003

003 003 003 003

(006 in all positions also works for interframe, but I prefer lower quantization in the interframe, less mud)

I think the numbers in deblocking tables must be related to the dct number of the main scaling matrices. My scaling matrices has 6 in the dct number so using multiples of 6 or half 6 in the deblocking worked ok. I think if you use 4 in the dct number of the scaling matrices, then the debloking must be multiple of 4 or 2, just a supposition.

Also I perceived that the main scaling matrices works better when all the numbers have a relationship to be a multiple of some number, example: all multiple of 6, or all multiple of 3, or all multiple of 2. the camera processor does not stress with this design, see the matrices in the "the patch" topic.