Personal View site logo
GH1: 75Mbps Peak Reliability Setting - V2 update
  • 46 Replies sorted by
  • put this patch in my GF1 & won't go over 20mbits/sec in "SH" mode no matter what i'm filming..don't know what's going wrong...anyone help??...and what is FHD mode?

• I just picked up my GH1 after about a year or so of using it. Is this the definitive GH1 patch for MJPG. I seem to remember that the 4.2.2 was pretty bloody good.

• Wow! Just updated my old GH1 with this patch and I have never had this little banding and macroblocking in low light (see screen grab), although the bitrate is rather low (but on the other hand the shot is almost static, so this is perfect).

Thanks a million for making my B-cam a rather brilliant one!

lpowell-75.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Hi I tried this patch, but on my GH1 the bitrate stays at around <16mbit, and there is a lot of artifacts and mud. What am I doing wrong?

• Moved my initial comment to the right thread.
  • oh geez, pardon my inattention, I totally must have skipped that paragraph or something.. :D
  • @krxz I think this is explained in the first post of this thread
  • Yeah, I came across that one too, will try it out sometime this weekend. One thing that got me confused though - why is it that for the 100Mbps patch the 720p60/50 is stripped down to 720p30/25 and the bitrates are much lower than the ones for Blackout and even High reliability patches? If I uncheck the 720p60->720p30 will it have any effect on the stability of FHD mode?
  • @krxz This patch is not reliable with Native 24p checked. If Native 24p is what you want, I recommend the 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/162/100mbps-max-latitude-patch-v2-updated-for-ptool-3.55d#Item_35
  • Is there a significant drop in reliability if I use native 24p FHD with this patch?
  • After renewing the page 3 times in Firefox I got it working, too - thanks
  • I checked it in FireFox, all working ok.
  • 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch Settings File:
    the download link for this .ini-file is broken for me in Safari and in Firefox - please renew
  • Us poor GH13 users are being lost in the wave of GH2 euphoria. Guess i'll just have to be part of it. Damn, another camera.. :-(
  • Thanks for the confirmation re the Mjpeg mode, it is fine for what i use it for, low light events like the Kava Ceremony i did with 50mm 1.4 Canon FD and it plays back in camera. Also i did revert the resolution to 1280 x 720, this size suits me better.

Now onto the AVCHD modes, i tested both NTSC and PAL with my sharpest lenses, 20mm pancake and 14 - 140 kit with Sandisc 30MB/s Extreme in some brutal high contrast outdoor scene that i've used in the past and the PAL SH 720p mode is unbreakable. I would go as far to say as reliable as the reliable patch and returned av bitrates 5 - 10Mps higher than it, but also smoother motion (lower GOP setting..26 vs 30 ..??). The NTSC SH 720p was not quite as reliable in the same scenario as above, with the occasional card error but importantly the clips were not lost, just the recording stopped (very significant) This only happened in full auto mode (focus, aperture, ISO). I could control this easily as i knew when it was going to happen, so i would just lock exposure but still run auto focus.

I'm guessing the lower GOP in NTSC mode might be the difference in reliability here (GOP 25 vs the PAL GOP 26)
    (actually in your first post you say the GOP is 20 for NTSC, the INI file shows it as 25 may be a typo in your first post)

For outdoor Run and Gun work, if slight aperture changes are not an issue, i would enable auto ISO, it greatly reduces any mud in shadows and dull areas that the extra bitrate can't fix. This results in, the bitrate staying almost constant as does the exposure so mud is further eliminated.

Awesome result for the V2 75Mbps PAL SH 720p, it is a new standard and now replaces the reliable patch on one of my GH1's.

Thank you Mr Powell.

UPDATE - I also meant to include that i also did these tests with an ND filter attached so that my lenses were operating at their sharpest f stop. (makes the patch and result all the more impressive)
  • The MJPEG HD E1-4 settings in the first list above are correct, but as you noticed, they don't record at a 75Mbps bitrate. After increasing the HD frame size to 1536x864 in 4:2:2 color, I tested the patch using the settings in your second list. That worked fine for most scenes, but in extreme cases the bitrate can exceed 75Mbps and cause write-speed failures. The settings the patch currently uses can produce MJPEG HD bitrates over 60Mbps and I have not yet seen it break.

I neglected to change the docs to reflect the actual 60Mbps MJPEG peak bitrate, but I'm interested to hear how the new patch works for you. If you feel it's too conservative, I may try to revise the settings to produce a bitrate closer to 75Mbps.

Another patch that looks pretty much unbreakable is the PAL 720p50 SH mode. If this patch can survive your open seas expeditions I'll be very pleased!
  • lpowell, just checked the Mjpeg E1, - E4 etc and the resulting video is only 30Mbps not 75Mbps. So it looks like it's standard setting.
    E1 Quality=225
    E1 Table=96
    E2 Quality=195
    E2 Table=48
    E3 Quality=170
    E3 Table=16
    E4 Quality=150
    E4 Table=4

Should they not be ??

E1 Quality=280
    E1 Table=4
    E2 Quality=250
    E2 Table=10
    E3 Quality=225
    E3 Table=24
    E4 Quality=200
    E4 Table=48
  • What i've been waiting for, onto it right now lpowell.

R
  • Reliable 720p60 75Mbps!!! Thanks LPowell.
  • Thanks for your work.