Personal View site logo
Im going to shot a documentary to Greece. How should i finance it?
  • Hi. Im Juan Manuel, from Argentina, 33 years old. I work in cinematography since 6 years ago. Im building a producer independent company:

https://www.facebook.com/NNEaudiovisuales

Im going to shot a documentary to greece about it crisis and paralelism with our old crisis in 1999-2001/2003. Im planing to do it with a matte. My wish is to go and being with basis, in the underground, with people who is fighting and organizing by it self against the desicions that is taked by the goberment. For that, ill take a Nikon D7000, some lenses, a mini boom, a cool tripod and a strong backpack. The perfect gear to travel over all the country, using any kind of transport; and to get in any kind of places and situations. I want to shot and edit there, for that im going to get a good laptop, for editing full hd or hd.

My guess is to ask to PAZOK, ΣΥΡΙΖΑ and independet artists who would like to help us with the language; with lodging, and information. Here is not enough information about Greece, and wath is really happening there. We have the money for getting there, maybe for food but not much by now. the point is to going in july and, well, as you see; we are looking for help. Whatever you aport to the toppic will be very apreciated and welcome. Tank you so much for the space to Vitaly and the amazing forum that it is:)

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • The percentage of unemployed people this month will be of 30%. Is it right? Is anybody noticed about the public opinion about it?

• The percentage of unemployed people this month will be of 30%. Is it right?

I have no idea. Statistics will be released with delays.

You can check why it will be for long - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/blog

• Great idea. I watched a documentary on the financial crisis of Argentina, and the parallels are good to point out. If you have enough money to get there and get shooting, just do it. I can't tell you how many people wait for the risk-free situation that never comes. Just get there, and from what I'm reading about it, just settle yourself into a neighborhood of ordinary working people. After a week or so, you should have some interviews and footage to cut together a trailer to put up for crowd-funding.

I would focus on crowd-funding sites that promote social issues, you can do the research. For small amounts check out Max Keiser's piratemyfilm.com. He's very keen on the collapse of the fiat system, so you'd probably find people there of similar minds willing to donate. Judging from the amounts on the site though, it's for small money needed to keep shooting.

Recently, on Zerohedge there was an article about the big pharma companies witholding 90% of supplies from Greece. Things are a wreck there, but you'll never see it covered on MSM, so get it out there. The funds will come as you put it together and start putting up some clips. If you need some editing help just PM me. Good luck.

• Is it only me seeing the irony in the subject title? :)

• @Vitaly

I read the link but i dont get why statics will be released with delays (?)

• @Lincoln11

Amazing information. We got the same situation since 1999 aprox. After our 2001 crisis we released a "generic medicines law" that is a way to dont let the big pharma companies get the all power of knock goberments and countries when they put prices as they want; and when they dont stock pharmacies. The point of the documentary is to talk about this subjects with Greek people and let them talk about what they think.

I read our link and actually im talking with a crow-funding guy that is interested in get some proyect. My wonder is about the etic of finance an anti-neoliberalism proyect with this kind of mechanism; i hve to say that i dont know excactly the mechanism. If crow-funding are big companies who attemp against filmakers interests, i wonder if i should finance it with that way; i preffer to do it by a mechanism that dont get in conflict with the philosophy of the proyect. I repeat i dont know excactly the mechanism and wath kind of people are crow-funding guys, its just my wonder. Excuse my imperfect english, i can clear lines that are not clear at all.

• @anacrofilosoteca

Blaiming liberalism only is stupid. As well as blaming individual politicians.

• @Larsarus

Good point. Finance word is not good for talking about Greece in any way at the moment. And the ambuguity of the punctuation could let some suspicious thinkings.

• @Vitaly

im not talking exactly about liberalism, im talking about neo-liberalims wich is not the same. And i dont think that blaiming is stupid when the people who blame thinks is fair to do that. We got some good results here from people who fighted against mass media for years, we are more conscious about their power now; and that is cause that people never gived up their fight.

• @Vitaly

I get you point better now. Can you explain it more? who are the other actors who has responsability in the actual crisis?

• Can you explain it more? who are the other actors who has responsability in the actual crisis

Energy and resources :-)

• @Vitaly

Energy and resources are administrated by humans; and humans are political animals who choose their way of doing politic. If the point is Energy and resources are scarcing i can tell you that its not by coincidence; we took bad decisions, or choosed bad politics. Now there are people who is thinking in new ways of getting energy. Brasil is arguing about why they are cultivating only sugar cane for getting bio-oil(my transaltion of bio-diesel). Oposition to Rousseff talks about the danger of mono-cultives for the lands. Rousseff talks about the importance of replacing the classic oil for this new bio-oil fuel.
    We are taking concious about the recyclable bateries; in Argentina are people talking about it; how important is for the earth when you choose it or the old non recyclables batteries(duracell, energyzer,etc. I dont know if you still consuming these bateries in Europe). The point is, the earth is wounded, yes, but we still have chances of doing the things well; if we are concious that we choose the politics but our responsability doesnt ends there; we take desitions every day that change the route of the history and build the future. At least, its as i see the things. Greece is in the line of choose their own history; they can keep acepting MFI receipts or broke the chains and makes their own way. I think they will get the second choice if the thing goes as it are going. By the way; i repeat that even here we have no much information; some friends who have family in Italy and Spain tells me that even there is hard to know what is happening in Greece. I wonder if it is like that. Hope some greek filmakers can talks about it, and help me with information about their country.

• Energy and resources are administrated by humans; and humans are political animals who choose their way of doing politic. If the point is Energy and resources are scarcing i can tell you that its not by coincidence; we took bad decisions, or choosed bad politics.

Only bad decision was that humans harvested too much energy and resources :-)
    Otherwise, spend some time and read my blog posts and other places.

Now there are people who is thinking in new ways of getting energy. Brasil is arguing about why they are cultivating only sugar cane for getting bio-oil(my transaltion of bio-diesel).

All bio diesel fuel idea is so stupid it is hard to describe.

• All bio diesel fuel idea is so stupid it is hard to describe.

Not hard at all, really :), but for some unknown reason you can't have an economist's brain (or related) to understand it, it seems.

• Not hard at all, really :), but for some unknown reason you can't have an economist's brain (or related) to understand it, it seems.

What you mean here?

• This might be of interest, Utopia on the Horizon, a documentary on the Greek debt crisis and anti-austerity movement, dedicated to those who chose to struggle.

http://roarmag.org/2012/11/utopia-horizon-documentary-greek-crisis-syntagma/

• Greek debt crisis and anti-austerity movement, dedicated to those who chose to struggle.

Anti-austerity movement is just another example of "for all good against all bad" movement :-)
    As it makes no sense.

• @anacrofilosoteca Good morning from Greece, Thessaloniki city. I suppose you will stay mainly in capital Athens. I can suggest you a good friend of me, Areti is her name which speaks spanish very good, so she can give you some informations and maybe can help you contact people. She is not cinematographer, she is a journalist and works in litterature projects. If you think that she can give you more advices, send me a message to give you her email

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I just meant that explaining that the current ways of producing biofuels is a bad idea is not really hard (eroei, global-scale ecology are just two no-brainers off the top of my head). The problem is getting across the divide between those who live in a physics-based reality to those who have decided to live in a world where tax-codes and similar artifacts is their "reality".

• @larsarus

OK, thanks for clarification :-)

• @Vitaly Ill read your posts on the blog, im very interested in knowing the sources of your opinions.

@larsarus

Do you hve something to say about the topic subject?

• @Jleo

Wonderfull contribution! Ill see the movie this weekend. Many tanks man, that´s wath i was talking about!

• Ill read your posts on the blog, im very interested in knowing the sources of your opinions.

Usually source of all deta is provided in posts. As for my opinions - they are from my head last time I checked.