Personal View site logo
Nikon Gamma Controls v0.1 Beta Test
  • 51 Replies sorted by
  • @paglez In Adobe Premiere Pro CS5-6, there are two built-in effects that can be used to make calibrated gamma adjustments:

Luma Corrector: The Gamma slider's calibration matches Nikon Gamma Controls.

Levels: Divide the Gamma slider's scale values by 100 to match Nikon Gamma Controls.

With both of the above effects, you can restore the video clip's gamma curve to the camera's default gamma 1.0 setting simply by moving the slider to the same gamma level you used to shoot the clip. For example, if you shot with Neutral Gamma 0.7, setting Luma Corrector Gamma to 0.7 (or Levels Gamma to 70) will correct the video clip back to gamma 1.0.

Unfortunately, the built-in "Gamma Correction" effect in Premiere Pro is labeled in an inverse scale that does not match the calibration of Nikon Gamma Controls and other gamma effects. I'd recommend using the Levels or Luma Corrector effects instead.

• @Lpowell I would like to know how can I work with this utility and Premiere CS6. What is the utility inside Premiere to adjust final grade process, after using NIkon gamma control? Sorry for my bad english. Is not my native language Thanks in advance.

• Thanks for the information Lee. Bummer... it seems that there is no way to affect the total range - just how it is distributed.

• @cbrandin Nikon's Picture Control Utility allows you to select which built-in Picture Profile to use as the base for your custom Picture Profile, but when you select the custom gamma curve option, it disables the Brightness and Contrast controls. These two controls are also grayed-out in-camera when you load and select a Picture Profile with a custom gamma curve. This makes it clear that custom gamma curves are intended to replace the built-in Brightness and Contrast controls. However, Sharpness, Saturation, and Hue controls can be adjusted, allowing you to set default positions for these controls in your custom Picture Profile.

• I wonder how contrast vs. curves are handled. It would be nice if the contrast setting is applied before the curve. If it is, you could adjust the dynamic range with the contrast setting (whereas the curve is restricted to redistributing data within a fixed DR). That way it might be possible to emulate the highlight leveling of negative film. For example, suppose contrast is lowered and effectively raised again with a curve - highlights would be rounded thus avoiding being blown so easily. I'll have to figure out a way to test this.

• @LPowell thanks for all the hard work. I've been testing the profiles on my d5100 and they work really well. i noticed there is still a bit of noise though even at iso 100. Do you any advice for getting rid of noise using after effects cs6 or premiere cs6?

• @olegkalyan Yes, grading for broadcast standards requires you to manipulate the dynamic range to fit into the studio-swing 16-235 range. My experience is that I've gotten better quality shadow detail by shooting with a boosted gamma curve that lifts dark details into the gray region. That allows me to obtain the contrast I want in post by darkening the shadows, rather than attempting to dig shadow details out of dimly lit areas. I think Nikon's Neutral profile works well for video, and the ability to tweak it with Nikon Gamma Controls makes the camera ideal for nighttime available light shooting.

• @LPowell in reality, just raised shadows, with lifter blacks create look that lacks both black and whites on RGB scale, it can be ok for some experimental or wedding videos, leaving footage with this look, low, dull luma.

In broadcasting reality, one has to bring the signal to broadcast standards, while not completely abide by 16 235 rule, trying hard to achieve that (getting pure blacks, and pure whites in the shot, while not clipping luma as much as possible. (Hello film, or Alexa) That's how most of films, television made. So, in our case, we'd have to work with D5200 material shot with Nikon profile, getting enough chroma, color information, grading it. Upon all the steps, one ends up with pretty similar results, in the case of quick study, comparing GH2 and D5200. The final result, overall range after grading and luma clipping matters, not preliminary. through test needed to prove this POV or otherwise, I state this from my experience of grading, working with material from different cameras, considering final output. Please do you own tests. And thanks again for your hard work!

• @olegkalyan

both tests makes me think of inherent latitude of camera sensors, that are similar, getting shadows up, does not help protecting luma clipping...

In practice, protecting highlights is straightforward: simply lower your exposure until the highlights no longer blink in the Nikon highlight display, or bloom on the right edge of the GH2 histogram, or clip on the top edge of the waveform monitor.

With most cameras, however, guarding the highlights with a conservatively low exposure setting will produce coarsely-encoded, near-black shadow details. Nikon Gamma Controls give you the ability to boost the quality and brightness levels of shadow and midtone details without blowing out the highlights.

• @LPowell I've tested GH2 against D5200, shot similar scene with GH2, http://yadi.sk/d/1zLrUjpx30Wjs http://yadi.sk/d/oKMziAYm30WlA The links are for original files, please download and make your conclusions, settings: both cameras 3.2k, iso 160, shutter 1/50, F1.8 focus on the lettering on tea bag on the left. lenses on GH2, Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH, on D5200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G

done another test setting Nikon 0.8 vs. S Hurtado Flaat 11.

Here are links to new test with Flaat11, I had to open up half a stop on GH2 to match exposure, http://yadi.sk/d/kprDlbBt31RYk http://yadi.sk/d/vjONtqku31Rfo

Nostalgic all -2 on GH2, Flaat11 on Nikon, not changed. focus on letters on the box.

both tests makes me think of inherent latitude of camera sensors, that are similar, getting shadows up, does not help protecting luma clipping, watch bright spots on metal parts.

link to graded video, showing GH2 better resolution. Please do you own tests, and share what you think.

• Check out the second post above for an example of using Nikon Gamma Controls to adjust exposure in the presence of sun flares.

• I can confirm that they work on the D800. Unfortunately I am not a testing guru so I couldn't give you any stats or samples. But I shot a daylight scene with .5 gamma and its super flat and I was able to push a really heavy grade.

• @BlueBomberTurbo Thanks for confirming Nikon Gamma Controls compatibility with the Nikon D7000. The Neutral Gamma 1.0 profile has the same gamma curve as the built-in Neutral profile (with Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness -1, Saturation -2, and Hue 0). I included Gamma 1.0 in NGC to provide a precise match with the other gamma curves, and to leave the built-in Neutral profile available for still photography.

• Just shot some promotional vids at work with the Neutral Gamma 1.0 setting on my D7000. I'll post up shots once I get to processing this weekend.

Was messing around with all the settings last night, and the 0.4 setting is amazing! Of course, if you're using it in dark conditions, it'll be super chunky, even after NR. But for good lighting, it's insanely flat. I chose the 1.0 for today, since I'll be doing limited grading, but I find the 0.7 to be a nice overall balance.

@cbrandin AFAIK, High ISO NR never worked in video for Nikons. Didn't on my D90, and doesn't on my D7000.

• Nice work Lee! I've been playing around with picture controls on a D800. One thing I noticed is that if you turn Active D-Lighting on it disables any custom curves in a picture control - presumably because the camera is using that function to achieve the Active D-Lighting stuff.

Another interesting thing I discovered about the D800 is that it doesn't appear to use the High ISO Noise Reduction feature with video. I ran some tests and nothing appeared to change no matter what I set High ISO NR to. This means people will be claiming that the D800 is noisy. Actually, it isn't - it's just not doing noise reduction in the camera with video.

I've only messed with the D800, so I don't know to what degree other models behave the same way.

• Hi LPowell. There is so much knowledge that you share since the days of GH1. Thanks for your great work and smart and helpful attitude. Uli

• @LPowell Thank you, sir.

• @paglez Yes, the Nikon D800 supports custom Picture Profiles and I expect it to work compatibly with Nikon Gamma Controls.

• I will test these on my D800 this weekend. Thanks @LPowell.

• Wow this is really cool. I'm still waiting for the D7100 to see how it functions before taking a dive with either the D7100 or D5200. Good to know that some development on improvements is already underway.

• I'm thinking about to buy a Nikon D800. Is this utility available in this camera?

• Thank you LPowell, as always, for all your work you are sharing with us.

• Thanks for sharing your hard work Lee. Looking forward to trying this on my d5200

• Reserved for sample video