Personal View site logo
Powering GH3
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • I purchased an extra battery and have been testing it.

I shot some video and have been playing the video back, and it is still running after 6.5 hours!

That's WAY better than my GH2!

After this quits, I'm going to test the battery that came with the camera... hope it's just as good.

Might not have the need for my coupler?

• Is this the same battery? Looks identical.

Specification: Replacement battery part number : D-Li90 DLi90 D-LI90 D-L190 Compatible with the following models: Pentax K7 K-7 Voltage: 7.2V Capacity 1860 mAh Chemistry: Li-ion Fully chargeable

• @Jwalker It looks really similar, but that pentax battery is missing one of the four contacts in the panasonic battery.

• I got coupon code ITST99KFX from adorama.com to take the price down from 79.99 to 55$ with free shipping

• Does anyone have the coupler AC battery? I ordered mine but on backorder, just wanted to know if they adapter tip is the same as GH2 version. Thanks

• ok any one know if panasonic are making a dedicated coupler for the gh3 ,i used one on my gh2 but lost some control over the camera,would like to know if we will see one in the future for gh3

• What do you mean ",i used one on my gh2 but lost some control over the camera"?

And why do you think that was?

Thanks

• I assume the firmware or what govern,s the camera wouldn't allow full control over camera settings

,I had to keep putting the panasonic battery back in to change or alter my settings .

I would like to know if panasonic are making a coupler for the gh3 and what battery input would be useable ,so I don't destroy my gh3 .

I used the panasonic dmw - dcc8 dc coupler on my gh2 but sold this with the camera so I now have a li ion battery pack but no coupler ?

• The DMW-DCC12 coupler is the official "battery part" of the AC/DC power combo for the GH3: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Panasonic-DMW-DCC12-DC-Coupler-/140917564694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf576516 You still need the DMW-AC8 part (same as GH2) and they work fine together for unlimited power to the GH3

• Ok that is good news

I have purchased a lithium ion battery of eBay in 2012 with a 12v in/out ,9v out ,and 5v out ,can I use this safely with the panasonic dc coupler DMW DCC12-DC on my gh3 camera

This battery pack was shown with video for powering the gh2

• Is there any way to make the remaining minutes of battery life appear on screen like with the camcorders?

• I'm gonna receive the GH3 DC coupler and 2 compatible Bluemax batteries (each one costs half than the original battery) in a couple of days. Bluemax performance was great on my Canon 550D, on par with the original battery. I'll post my feedback here as soon as possible.

• I'm curious if the cinemax kit I bought with Sony batteries to power the GH2 will work with the GH3 if I get a different plug to go into the camera and hook it into the same system? Is anyone thinking along the same lines?

• So I just received the GENUINE Panasonic DMW-DCC12 DC Coupler for GH3. I have a Tilta VMount plate which I use to power the GH2 (with dummy battery adapter) by connecting it to the 7.2V output plug of the plate. Options for output on the Tiltaplate are 14.8V, 7.2V, 5V, 12V. I think I'll go for the 7.2V for the GH3 since on both GH2 and GH3 batteries I read "7.2V" (although on the GH3 dummy battery I read "8.4V"...).

Unfortunately the only cable available right now with the matching plug for the GH3 dummy battery to the 7.2V port of the plate is the so-called "Frequency Divider connection cable" which came with the plate and btw is meant to be used (in reversed connection) on the 5V port and NOT on the 7.2V (of the plate).

Do you people think this is good idea? I dont' really know how the "frequency divider" characteristic of the cable would affect the connection. I would only use it because the sizes of the plugs matching GH3<-->7.2V. Should I instead make me a simple custom cable with those plug and don't risk the frequency-divider thing?

Thanks to anyone who will enlighten me!

• mmmm, maybe I'm just utterly dumb, and "Frequency divider" means that the cable is just a normal cable meant to power an external Fequency divider device (which I don't know what is)?

EDIT: yes I AM dumb. Anyway, I used the cable and the GH3 DOESN'T power up using the 7.2V output of the plate. What I don't get is why 8.4V are required when the battery outputs 7.2V.

I guess there is a range of voltages the GH3 can use, but I don't know it. Otherwise I could try the 12V out of the plate but I'm afraid that would be too risky without knowing the exact GH3 input specs.

Any clue?

• @flablo

It is all simple, if voltage is below certain level, body expect that it is battery and check special chip DC, and turn all off if it don't find it. DC input is always above battery voltage.

• @VK I see. So I guess the chip you mention is different on the GH3 and GH2, because the GH2 actually works when I connect it to the 7.2V out of the plate. Question is: HOW MUCH higher voltage can the GH3 take? Can it be used at 12V input? I guess no one is going to take the risk and try, right?

EDIT: I'm examining various V-mount plates and it looks like they all have 5V, 7.2V, 12V output standards (except a new Tilta which has 8V instead of 7.2V). And DC-DC tension converters (step up or down) for this use don't seem to be very common, nor compact or handy.

Looks like the 8.4V requirement of the GH3 is gonna be a problem. Maybe a post for the "GH3 issues" topic?

• Ok, if anyone's interested, I found the (not cheap) solution: http://www.switronix.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=152&category_id=39

And this topic about GH2 and batteries which has some veeery interesting content http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-245022.html

• @flablo , you need 8.4 - 8.8 v for stable work either GH2 or GH3, Do not even try 12v it Will brun your camera ...

• What about the 9V feed from the 12V-9V-5V batteries on ebay? I have one and powered up a friends GH2 with it. It worked fine as long as I ran it (about 20 minutes) with no apearent ill effects.

a) What about extended use? b) Is the GH3 that much different than the GH2 that it could be damaged by that 9V input?

Thanks for your opinion!

AM

• @questech , i don't think is much difference ... but i would not risk using cheap batteries without any stabilizer between in order to protect Gh2,GH3 ... Using cheap 9v batteries it does not mean you can use safely 9v, as cheap batteries may drop voltage to under 8.5 when you connect them ... I would take safe route, experimenting with GH3 is not cheap ...

• Thank you for the advice!

I wouldn't consider the battery excactly cheap, even from china it was about $42 American... but I hear you.

I am wondering if the GH2 and GH3 live by the same spec... i.e. if one battery system works safely with the GH2, will it do so with the GH3.

• @feha, thanks for the advice. Now I see how I could power the GH2 from the 7.2V output of the plate: I'm not using the original DC coupler but this one: http://www.cinegearpro.com/hdmi-cables/power-batteries/cgpro-gh2-dmw-dcc8-dummy-battery-dc-coupler-for-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2-camera.html

And it has step-up converter inside :)

Dumb dumb dumb but at least in the end I learned something new