Personal View site logo
Diagonal rain appears using GH2 + Premiere Pro CS6 without a hack
  • 115 Replies sorted by
  • I couldn't transcode my problem clip with any useful results. My unofficial fix was I sent the main file showing digital rain to a video guy. He tried putting it into mpeg streamclip, but it wouldn't go for whatever reason. In the end, he just opened it in CS5 (or5.5?) and saved it as H.264, sent it back to me, and the rain doesn't show in CS6 now.

The shots that were affected before are still noisy but the digital rain isn't there. You can still see it in the grass in other shots that I didn't send him. @BurnetRhoades please don't burn my crappy titling, I'm just happy to have it done. :)

• Someone suggested changing the GOP in the patch. I haven't tried that yet.

• no rain with intravenous 2

• It amazes me the effort people will put into being lazy.

• @saltherring I can guarantee that Digital Rain occurs with the GH2.

Anyone find any more patches that do not produce digital rain? I'm bored with transcoding. I will try Valkyrie I guess...........................

• @DouglasHorn I've ever only used two patches, I simply don't have time to experiment, I wish I did.

Flowmotion 2.02 - rain

Valkyrie 1.3 (I should upgrade, it doesn't span) - no rain

• Still, only gotta have the transcoded files online for as long as you need them to render. Disk is cheap. It's practically disposable now. The only feasible back up system anymore is just buy another disc and make a copy. I bought a 7200RPM 1TB Barracuda with 64mb buffer for like $79 last week. The first array I ever built that was this size, in 2002, took sixteen drives, cost $16K for the raw disc, another $2500 or so for the four towers holding them, and nearly another $500 for the cables. It sounded like a jet engine in the room and was flaky as shit and you didn't want to breath on it for fear of one of the discs crashing.

My point is, why do the size of the files (once they're not on your shooting media) matter to people? I mean, really? Maybe I'm just getting to old but y'all need some perspective maybe ;)

• So I realize that transcoding with 5D2RGB is the fix but honestly, I just don't want to have to do that. I end up with two sets of footage (original plus transcoded) and the transcoded stuff is huge. Plus it's just a big extra step that I thought I'd left behind. If there is a patch that tends not to do it, I would use that instead, even if it wasn't the one I'd choose otherwise.

I have a secret--I think all the patches on the site right now are so darn good that I don't really pay a huge amount of attention to which one I'm using. Perhaps if I shot a feature film I would revisit this, but for 95% of the stuff I shoot, it's all way more than "good enough" and I make my selection more based on usability, ability to playback in camera, and--now--the ability to avoid diagonal rain.

Have we started a bug report campaign with Adobe to start getting some traction on this? 50-100 new open cases might just light a fire under their butts.

• I'd think it was a long wait by business or technical contexts, given it's Adobe. I've been waiting over ten years for After Effects to support greater than 8bit precision in every nook and cranny. They went through the effort to make it 64bit and didn't fix this problem...like...WTF?

• @BurnetRhoades By your (business) definition yes it's Adobe. I was laying out the (apparent) technical situation, implying that it might be a long wait.

About the rain itself: it becomes obvious in underexposed footage, but if you know what to look for you can see it in almost any exposure situation. I am so "in the know" because I just spent a week regenerating complicated intermediates with 5D2RGB, AFTER having a theatrical premiere with the rain projected out on the big screen. Thankfully the audience was too caught up in the action to notice, but it pained me greatly.

• @matt_gh2 Yes, I do all my titling in AE, which has a much better interface for it than Premiere and a lot more flexibility creating non-canned looks (most uploaders don't even seem to change from whatever default font comes up, or turn on antialiasing, or do a stroke in cases where it's needed for clarity, or all kinds of oversights that destroy the finish and presentation quality of their videos).

Linear-light allows you to more easily replicate the look achieved by doing these sorts of things at an optical house where multiple pieces of film are combined, or what you can do on an Oxberry or other type of optical printer with animation capabilities. It's just another way to remove the "stink" of digital if you're willing to put in the effort, since everyone tries to do grain now or jiggle things. The jig is up if they're faking all these various analog aesthetics and then overlay some Chyron or Grass Valley looking titles and motion graphics. That stuff only looks right if you're faking a VHS or 3/4", public access look to all the footage.

• If it's not something MainConcept can fix and release to end users which does an end-run around CS6 then, no, it's Adobe's problem to fix. They shake a stick at their subcontractor and they push out a bug-fix.

There may be footage that decodes without the rain. I don't believe there are patches that decode without the rain consistently, under all shooting conditions. The reasons people are going along and being like "what rain, I see no rain, what rain?" and then one day, "holy crap, now I have it."

They start thinking about patches and this and that but odds are they're looking at footage that's not like all the clips they shot where they didn't see it. Every instance of it showing up that I've seen online is in areas where the lower part of frame is mostly in shadow, or under-exposed or otherwise made up of midtones and blacks.

• @mintcheerios Vegas also used the MainConcept decoder. Any NLE that uses this recent MainConcept decoder version will run into the same issue.

• I've been getting diagonal rain recently using DNxHD and Sony Vegas 12 (didn't even touch CS6), so I don't think Premiere is the culprit.

• @BurnetRhoades Right now I'm doing it all in Prem Pro CS6. But I have creative cloud, so I have After Effects and Audition and guess I might be using them too for more difficult to grade and mix scenes/shots. When you say "optical" are you referring to titles in AE? Would def be interested in your thoughts on that. Thanks

• @BurnetRhoades @saltherring Actually no, MainConcept has to fix it, as it's their decoder. Adobe links to their libraries (hardcoded it seems, as it doesn't behave like a proper DirectShow decoder). The fix will trickle down...eventually, but first Adobe has to take this issue up with MainConcept.

I've seen the rain even with the stock firmware, and yes there are patches that decode without the rain.

• @saltherring actually, no, I didn't, I didn't appreciate how you were adding ambiguity to the issue that shouldn't really exist anymore. It's clear where to point the finger. Mistakes get made, happens with every tool, hopefully Adobe is able to fix it soon. Until then there's a fix. No reason to over-think something nobody but Adobe is going to be able to fix.

• @matt_gh2 Are you rendering straight out of Premiere or are you side-loading into AE and rendering there from a float timeline?

CS6 Premiere seems to fair better than rendering in AE. I just never render anything out of Premiere but audio so I can't personally confirm. I always render out of AE, I just prefer the grading tools there and even for titles I don't like the way they work in Premiere. Plus, now that we can do not only floating point but linear-light floating point, I'm all about that, doing old school optical style stuff that always had to be "faked" in previous versions.

• Luckily everything I'm exporting is looking good for me so far.I use CS6, but I'm good so far. Will do a DCP test soon and that should cover all possible screens/audience experiences. Thanks for heads up though. Always good to maximize quality all the way thru pipeline.

• They're less accurate in terms of putting the diagonal "rain" where there was none. Similarly, that latest DNxHD codec, when working floating point, shows bad pixels that aren't representative of the footage. Of the non-error parts of the frame I really couldn't say whether they were rendered accurately or just with more subtle error. I just know I no longer trust it.

I will say this, for my short subjects where I went back and did the transcode I didn't really notice any differences on the AE timeline versus when I was reading in the MTS directly except for my Trick or Treat with the Rolands which has people all throughout. Without being a gamma issue, all of that being equal, I noticed that I could see much more subtle gradation and lighting on faces with the 5DtoRGB footage and could also see more gradation in the dusk skies.

Like, there's a scene in my brother's family room near the end where it's really dingy, warm, incandescent light and then this blue light coming from the big ass TV he has hanging on the wall. In the original version, which rendered with "rain", I couldn't see any light hitting their faces. In the 5DtoRGB footage I can see, all throughout the footage, these subtle, bluish highlights and tones on my niece and nephew's faces. And that's running it through the same project file. So, any future versions of CS6 that may supposedly fix the issue, I already have plenty of footage to test with to see just how well they fix it. (plus all of this footage uses virgin firmware)

• It's true. Transcoding is the answer and solution that allows you to keep everything the same about how you work (particularly setting choice). But if you despise transcoding, I think some people are reverting back to CS5.5 and having success. This my allow you to keep a favorite setting, if CS6 isn't working with it.

@BurnetRhoades Interesting what you said re CS6 transcoding MTS to RGB poorly. I'm not as experienced...so does this mean CS6 tends to make the colors less accurate from MTS that are simply dragged into timeline, versus using 5DtoRGB to transcode MTS files and then bring in to CS6?

• @saltherring I find your post ridiculous. CS6 in floating-point mode transcodes the incoming MTS to RGB very poorly. Case closed. There may be other software that makes similar errors but that's mostly incidental. The most common variable is CS6.

It's not a patch issue at all. You should maybe do some a dem researches yourself, maybe?

@DouglasHorn just transcode with 5DtoRGB. It's not your patch. It's not any patch. It's CS6. It only shows up in certain types of footage but it's not actually in the footage. The solution is simple. No need to change patches. No need to change shooting style. No need to second guess whether it's actually in the raw footage or not. It isn't.

• @DouglasHorn I've used Apocalypse Now Boom version 1 and Apocalypse Now Intravenus Version 1 in Premiere CS6 (Windows) and haven't had any issues with digital rain. FM has been problematic for some in CS6. I've also used the recently released trials 3 and 4 of the Moon setting, without any digital rain. Moon may be the closest setting to FM in terms of look. I believe @lpowell has been looking into this, so perhaps he can chime in here with his thoughts as I'm sure he'll know best. Most people use FM 2.02 without any issues, but a few have been hit with the "rain" in CS6.

• I saw this "digital rain"/"zebra stripes" stuff for the first time this weekend. I was shooting FM 2.02 and imported into Premiere CS6. It was pretty strong on a few shots. I'm not blaming it on FM--that's just what I was using. However, I would love to know if there are any patches that do not exhibit this behavior in CS6. FM has been a great patch for me with its good data rates, look, and reliability--but I really don't want to transcode my footage before importing it. I thought this was behind me.

Is anyone finding a workflow in CS6 that eliminates the rain without transcoding all footage?

Thanks