Personal View site logo
Amazing MBL color grading
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • Shadow lift @ 50%, Steel Dirt @ 65%, and 2-stop at 80% - grade accomplished in 15 seconds. Depending on how "cool" the footage is throw in SImply Warmer at 100% and done in 17 seconds.

• @SuperSet Your "darker" results is probably a codec issue. Try using the same codec on Premiere and Vegas.

• For multi NLE users, have you guys found that it's easier to get good color correction results out of Premiere CS6 compared to Vegas Pro? Been playing with it a while and the Vegas stuff always comes out a little darker, a little more faded and just doesn't look as good as CS6. Tried using 8-bit and both 32-bit options too. Thoughts?

• Crushing the blacks makes things more contrasty. The blacks on this are a little set up, and there's a little bit of green in the mid tones. Easy to do without MBL

• Hi, thanks to all for your answers!

@GravitateMediaGroup your MBL preset is great! I use it for two weeks. Thank you for sharing! But I think in the video I posted there is a special color correction on the tones. I have tried MANY things... but no great result.

GravitateMediaGroup, please, could you create a MBL preset like the first one to have the same color correction that the video I posted ?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards.

• yeah, I bought a 6d hoping it could perform fine in the video world, but it turns out, it's just a jollo filled moire mess and now it's my "stills cam" lol after getting used to GH2 detail,it's hard to take a dslr serious. mix the gh2 detail with canons descent low light ability, and you would have a winner

• Yeah, the moire and aliasing on that camera were a deal breaker.

I'll try softening my footage up a bit in post.

• @QuickHitRecord - I don't think it's weird to want the softness, but as others have said just previously, you can soften after the fact. I'm fairly certain you can even muddy it up in post. My point was more to the other deficiencies of the 7d- moire aliasing etc. Liking the look of a camera is nothing strange to me. However, the other issues can take it out of the running, imo.

• @QuickHitRecord

I also think a certain softness is appealing. However, I find it far better to soften up footage with either lenses or some post tweaking than to have a baked in, in-cam softness/muddiness.

Mind, an oversharpened image is just as bad as (or worse than) a too soft one.

• @quickhitrecord then tone the sharpness down in post

@montagereflex crush the blacks a LITTLE, desaturate a LITTLE, and then adjust the contrast accordingly, but in a seprately added filter.

might help to start with my preset and then tweak it up a bit http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4943/magic-bullet-looks-presets-bmcc-look-uploaded/p1

if you are trying to figure out how to emulate a specific grade, trial and error is the best way. just REALLY look at it and ask yourself "are the blacks crushed, is it over or under saturated, have they made one color jump out more than the rest, and so on" just experiment with it

• @rockroadpix Call me weird, but I kind of like the muddy softness of the 7D (the artifacting, not so much). I bought the GH2 for it's resolving power, but now that I have it, I sometimes find it to be too sharp.

I know that it's risking a world of hurt to post something like that on Personal-View, but there it is.

• wow, this is a new breed of neo hipsters naturalist breed.

• +1 @rocroadpix I don´t see why one would need MBL to reproduce it, either.

• Jesus, those are hipsters! Ugh

I don't see anything so magical about the grade. It's nice... but... He/they did it it by crushing the blacks a little and bringing up the skintones. Not sure why that would make someone miss a 7d, either. The "look" was also helped along by Canon's slightly muddy/soft tone. Maybe that is why you'd miss it?

I have MBL, Colorista and Shian's ColorGhear. This could be accomplished in any of those. Guess which one is cheapest? (Well, cheapest if you have AE already) It could also be done in Apple's Color.

• I have never used Magic Bullet but this looks fantastic. It's making me miss my 7D.