Personal View site logo
Leica 25mm vs Olympus 45mm
  • Hi, I'm looking to buy a bright lens for the gh2. i will use it mainly for film shooting (directed scenes). i saw the 25mm f1.4 lens which looks great. i also saw the oly 45mm f1.8. but if moving closer to the object is not a problem for me, because i mainly shoot directed scenes. do i really need it, or the 25mm is enough? i've seen reviews of the lenses, and read reviews about them here in personal view. but i did not see any comparison between these two lenses. i know they are different types of lenses but still, i've seen some portraits taken with the 25mm that looks great with amazing bokeh. so does the extra payment worth it?

thanks Emy

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • The Panny 20mm and the Olly 45 are the two lenses I use the most, but you should try a few then decide. There is an Armada of info on this site, just wade through it. You will not have a problem with the 45mm and portraits, they are gorgeous.

• Have both and consider both quite excellent. The Oly has better bokeh and better suited to portrait work. The 25mm stays on the camera 75% of the time consequently, especially when I have to use it on my shoulder rig.

• I also own both and i must say that they are both really good lenses. If you had to pick one and moving closer to the object is not a problem, then i would choose the 25mm.

• Thank you very much, so i'll start with buying the 25mm.. and i'll see from there:) just another question, from your experience with the 25mm for video, can it act as a subtitute for the 20mm f1.7?