Personal View site logo
Improving speed in Premiere Pro CS5
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • @f1lm3r

It depends on how long your files are and what settings you are using.

I use Adobe Media Encoder for my transcoding to DNxHD.

You have to choose quicktime as the file type and then you can choose DNxHD as the codec and then finally you can click on codec options to choose the overall bitrate settings.

• is there some kind of converter to DnxHD? if so, how long does it take?

• Benchmark your drives, then fire up Premiere Pro and check the disk and CPU usage in Resource Monitor (assuming you're using windows). If the bottleneck is the drive then RAID is one possible solution. SSD is another.

I'd try using DNxHD as it's free, but my hunch is that if it's the drive speed that's the bottleneck that using a less compressed format won't help.

Certainly in my system the SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM drive is regularly running at it's limit with AVCHD assets. (Luckily I have a four 1TB drives and two hardware RAID cards that's just become spare, so I'm going to try a RAID 1+0 configuration :)

• I should probably double check but I'm pretty sure my laptop has an easier time playing back DNxHD .mov files than it does the straight out of camera .mts files.

Avid offers the DNxHD codec for free on their website.

The DNxHD codec offers a range of settings for each frame rate.

You could either use a low setting like the 23.976 36Mb and do your edit and then replace your files with the original .mts before your final render or you could use one of the higher quality settings like the 23.976 175Mb.