Personal View site logo
Film movement/panning issue
  • Hey V/Guys: I'm having some issues when putting together my short clips. I'm not completely sure if its user-error with my pan movements, too high of a bit-rate being rendered for the movie player to handle smoothness becoming jerky, or a combination of both. Its been kind of a hit/miss thing. I've rendered at a lower bitrate to test out of PPro and i'm not sure if that is the prob. Are you experiencing this or does this sound familiar? I've been using Cluster hack with the 95mb/64gb card. The flowmotion hack is more for water and stream movements more then 'pans' movements i assume? Thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Video? Anything to show us what you are talking about might help. Also if you are shooting 24p with shutter at 50, you might want to lower it to 40 IMO. It smooths things up a bit. I actually shoot with 30 a lot but really have to control my movements well.

• My last computer would add "motion judder" to anything with a pan that I exported. While some of this is supposed to be normal (i.e. a result of viewing 24P footage on 60Hz monitor as opposed to a 75Hz monitor), I've learned that a computer that is struggling with the footage can make the problem even worse. My new computer has no such issues.

• @QuickHitRecord Yep, I have a 3 year old Macbook Pro that plays everything like shit. The Graphics card can't handle anything. Not sure why. Once I upload something to Vimeo I have to go check it on my girlfriends new Macbook Air that plays it perfectly.

• (Ground Hog Day, anyone? ;-) ( wink)

• Thanks for the response guys. I am also looking thru a slightly older MBP. Check the frozen lake at 2.20. You see the jittery movement. I will try 40fps next time vic.

http://photos.jamesthorpe.com/Other/Film/22905243_LRBs44#!i=2320612508&k=3GfNqvk&lb=1&s=A

• All your movements look slow enough and well within the rules. Your original files do that before you upload them?

• @vicharris 2010 MBP? Mine, too. Yeap sh!tty GPU. The latest MBP should have no problem... but very pricey.

• @stonebat Yep, I'm going to go with a tower. Not sure if I'll go Mac or Hack though.

• @vic: Appreciate you checking. I hope the MBP GPU is the issue. I've decided to go with a custom PC tower for 3D and all Video/multimedia. Hope to make the transition soon. It'll be nice to render and run multiple layers thru the GPU in real-time. As far as the original mts, i would have to check again. The Tahoe pan looks much better then the frozen lake for whatever reason.