Personal View site logo
Nonsense of the settings
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • It's true that lots of "tests" aren't really tests. But don't discount some of the very thorough testing done by people like Lee Powell and Nick Driftwood. Nick, for example, has provided metrics produced by StreamEye that relate directly to image quality. Also, read Lee's initial tests for Flowmotion. He shows, in pretty convincing fashion, that Flowmotion does a much better job with flowing water (one of the most difficult things for a CODEC to get right). His evidence is robust from a technical standpoint, very convincing, and easy to see.

Granted, improvements offered by some patches may be "subtle" under "normal" circumstances. But in some cases, like Flowmotion's rendering of flowing water, the improvement is starkly apparent. The same can be said for motion rendering improvements offered by Nick's high bitrate GOP1 patches.

• @nomad @jasonp If you read carefully, I meant screen captures (meaning stills, uncompressed ones) for the comparison about same scene, not youtube about different scenes.

Does everyone here really think that all of us should always do tests by themselves? In my opinion it takes a lot of unnecessary time.

Are the settings somekind of occultism science that is not measurable? From screen capture stills, you could see macroblocking, grain etc..

• Yes. Since we are systematically working ro get high quality video for high-quality distribution. Not for Vimeo or Youtube. If your films are:

– Never color graded – Never shown from Blu-ray (or better) on a good flatscreen or projection - Never get any VFX like keying added

These settings are useless for you! Don't use them, please.

• Amazing, are everyone here systematically missing my point?!

• Well I'm a newbie or not. But still I don't see anything that proves the difference of the settings.

• What else did you expect? Vimeo and YouTube are equalizers and downgrade all uploaded videos to just a fragment of the original files' quality. But the original files of many videos on Vimeo can be downloaded for those who are interested in watching them.

For BD disc productions it makes quite big difference to use some good settings compared to stock quality. Especially visible during and after the PP.

Newbies have to learn hard in all kinds of complicated professions. Only idiots could expect to know all about videography after reading through only few topics of the p-v site. Hunderds of hours, days, weeks or months may pass until newbie is no more newbie anymore.

To be honest, I really don't like your idea to create new topic about this.

• Forgot to mention how frustrating this situation is for newbies who come to the forum. Hundreads of pages about settings discussions, with no real comparison. I believe most users chooses their hack what they think is the most popular one, not because they see proof about it's greatness.