Personal View site logo
Dialogue microphones for indoors and outdoors recording
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig which set of MK-012 you ordered? There's all kinds of sets MSP2, MSP4 and MSP6... Which set you recommend for me? I have already SD MixPre so I don't need preamp stuff.

• @drdave Is the wiring still an issue with the new Oktava's?

• One thing I forgot to mention is that a low-noise preamp is essential as you'll normally have to apply compression and gain in post which means amplifying your microphone and preamp's self noise.

• If you want a super natural sound, with just a hint of warmth, I like the Sennheiser MKH 40. Very light, very quiet, very good. If you want reach, plus a very clear sound, I like the Schoeps MK41, and that's what a lot of ppl use.

The new Zoom H2N is the king of the budget mics, with lots of very good mics, lightweight, etc, etc. Plus, it has ms, which if you have a really good software decoder allows you to really fine tune the pickup pattern. Do not underestimate the power of ms--you can move the mic without moving it, in post. I mean, everyone should own one of these even if you do not use it.

If you want a rich, chocolatey sound, there are any number of ribbon mics, but these generally don't have a lot of output, they are great if you are close to the source. I like the Coles 4040, but there are a bunch of budget ones that sound OK, like the Stellar models that imitate the old B&O designs. Everyone has their favorite ribbon, and they all claim they sound just as good as mics that they don't sound just as good as.

I used to always reach for the MK41s first for dialogue, but now I use the MKH 40s first--they are just a touch warmer, and when I hear dialogue recorded, it is always too dry and clinical for my tastes, even by the top production houses. Just sort of an undertone of kitty litter on everything. Ugh.

The Oktava MK-012s that spacewig mentioned are fine. The cardioid is better sounding than the hyper for just about anything--half of them are wired the wrong way, so you have to mark the polarity on the outside of each mic or rewire them.

• AT 4073a on a boom. Relatively high output so some preamps may need a pad with them (e.g they were too hot for my old DAP1 DAT recorder). If on-cam to a GH2 / camcorder, Rode videomic. If hiring and have to rent, whatever the sound person is most comfortable and experienced with, hopefully Schoeps! I avoid lav mics unless no other choice- just personally don't like the sound. In the end placement, boom op, and room matter more than the mic.

• A good Sony ECM 55b lapel mic and zoom H2 set to mono. It's near impossible to not get good dialogue with industry standard sony mics. I am usually only ever recording one person at a time, but for more actors put one on each of your actors and mix in post. These mics are bomb proof and can be had for really cheap on ebay

• Spacewig, thanks for the info! I'm going to check those out.

• I've been using the MKH416 for everything and just ordered some cardioid pattern mics as the shotguns will pick up a lot of reverb indoors that is then very difficult to remove in post. I have ordered a pair of Oktava MK-012 which are quite popular for recording dialogue indoors in the indie world.