Personal View site logo
Anamophic lens vs Cinemorph filter
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • How 'bout this... There's a Century Precision Optics anamorphic adapter on ebay now for under $500.US Buy-it-now.
    Don't they usually sell for over $1K ...a deal?
    Make your own decisions/ draw your own conclusions.
  • @bubba
    Whaddya bet that Century Optics 16:9 converter on eBay has a bayonet mount on the rear end...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Century-Optics-16-9-Anamorphic-Lens-/320756307265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae90d541
  • I think I have a converter....
    but can you tell I don't like em...
  • @LPowell
    You're right. No savings there! The adapter that
    I've got is an 0WA-7X93-00 to 0DS-1609-58 adapter
    ...which makes the century anamorphic into a WA lens
    if you spend another $1,200.00 for the WA adapter.
    I don't have a catalog, but I remember there was an
    adapter for the bayonet.
  • Seek and you shall find. I bought a Kowa 16-H with lens clamp and filter attachment from Ebay today, for $600. A lot of the current prices for anamorphic lens are ridiculously high due to such increased demand. Every now and again you will find bargains though, if you keep your eyes peeled.

@LPowell what do you think the chances of us ever seeing an anamorphic patch that is MJPEG 25p? Sadly living in PAL land makes the 30p patch next to useless. I'm guessing we need to wait until the new firmware comes out to see if they make any tasty changes?
  • Anyone tried the Isco-Gottingen lenses? Trying to find them, apparently quite hard cos they are out of production, and like Leica R lenses, belonged to a generation of technology that has passed.
  • @kazuo they're on EBay.
  • Here is some ANAMORPHIC vs CINEMORPHIC footage intercut, back to back. Anamorphic lens was an Isco 1.75x and the CineMorph was the 58mm.

• freaking awesome
  • I also want to go anamorph! So much Hollywood4free once you bought it.
    Sadly they are really expensive and rare now (at least for my budget)
    What abour building one yourself with the raw right lense ? From what I have seen most adapters only consist out of a single anamorphic lense. Any ideas who could sell high quality, cheap (ehn.. yes, i know...) unmounted anamorphic lenses?
  • I wanted to throw a few ideas out for you DIY guys and also for you for profit guys.

1st. If you are using filaments that can be colored, what would stop you from tie dying your fishing line?

2nd idea is that you could potentially make color flair from other elements other than just fishing line. As long as you could suspend something, there exists a potential for adding an element of randomness to you color. Think prism's, gem stones, and other refractory type materials. You could easily get light test fishing line that was virtually invisible and get small stones with holes bored in them.

3rd idea... Why are you only using unidirectional patterns for your filaments? My first thought was to have a lattice like structure or a fractal like structure. Think about tying all your fishing line from one point on the side of the lens but spreading out over the lens similar to how the old japanese rising sun flag has lines radiating from the "sun". Then interconnecting fishing line in grids from other points. Think about it like weaving. With the line itself carrying the potential to be colored and a grid pattern, I could see the potential for some very interesting flair. Also, it could be beautifully subtile if the right size line or other objects are used.

• PROlike Anamorphic Lens Filter Template 58mm & 52mm http://bit.ly/NeLtgt

• @otcx i don't see anything concrete ? Any video sample, any pictures of the product ? OK i found:

• It would be more accurate to say these are anamorphic bokeh and flare filters. They're cool artefacts but barely half the story.

• @feha Yes. Same product, but i would recommend the product being manufactured from vid-atlantic.com

@BurnetRhoades True. It is not real anamorphic, it just add anamorphic style effect, and unlike true anamorpihic you will lose some pixels when converting to anamorphic scale.

• @otcx not just aspect ratio, the magic of anamorphic is its mixture of FOV with a scale and depth compression impossible for spherical lenses to achieve. Daylit, deep focus (stopped down) anamorphic photography still has a quality that normal photography doesn't have and that's when bokeh and flares aren't part of the image.

It's the right choice for a lot of people though and serves their needs fine, I recognize that though.