Personal View site logo
JVC consumer 2013 camcorders, GP-PX100 600fps flagship
  • JVC GC-PX100

Specifications:

• 1/2.3" 12.8 megapixel backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
    • 1080/60p video at a bitrate 36Mbps
    • WiFi connectivity and free specialized apps.
    • Five additional shooting speeds, ranging from 120fps to 600fps
    • 3.0-inch tiltable LCD monitor with monitor hood
    • High-speed digital still recording (up to 60 fps)
    • $999 price

Links:

Available at:

• 30 Replies sorted by
  • Btw, looks like old GC-PX10 improved and reintroduced.

• JVC GZ-VX810, -VX815

• AVCHD Full HD Recording
    • iFrame Recording
    • 24Mbps High Bit Rate Recording
    • F1.2 Super Bright Lens
    • 10x Optical Zoom / 21x Dynamic Zoom
    • 29.4mm Wide Angle
    • Optical Image Stabilizer with Advanced Image Stabilizer

• 1/2.3-inch 12.8M pixel Back-illuminated CMOS Sensor

• Various wireless functions
    • Index Marking for Best Play, Sports Scoring, Live Streaming, Live Monitoring, Data Transfer to Tablet / Smartphone / PC (HD Compatible), and more.
    • Free app available for Android phones/tablets, iPhone and iPad.
    • Auto Illumi. Light / Photo Light
    • Intelligent AUTO
    • Index Marking
    • Best Play – Instant Digest
    • Time-Lapse REC
    • Stop Motion REC
    • K2 Technology in REC Mode
    • Auto Wind Cut
    • Simultaneous Full HD Video & 3M Still Shooting
    • Ultra-Slow Motion Video / High-speed Continuous Still Recording
    • Easy Upload to YouTube(TM) / Facebook (HD Compatible)
    • 3.0″ “Frameless” Touch Panel LCD
    • Memory Card Slot for SDXC/SDHC/SD
    • Available: February 2013
    • Price: $499.95
    rugged8.jpg
    800 x 614 - 74K
  • 600fps at what res?

• The GC-PX10 was a flawed product, but the concept was very interesting. I think JVC had a good idea but didn't fully execute the design. The new GC-PX100 seems to really be a bit better from just a glance. I like the fact that they have tired to make it a bit more "Pro" so to speak. I like the position of many of the controls and outputs being available and not behind a closed LCD like on many Camcorders. It looks more rugged than the GC-PC10, but that's only a guess at this time.

The GC-PX10 was actually not a bad Video Cam in terms of image and features. I liked that it had decent sharpness specs of 900/800 lines. That's right on Par with a GH2. Hopefully they've improved on sharpness even further as well as Lowlight. LOVE the high speed features, but have to see more details on that to see how the IQ is at the different rates. Can't wait to see a full review.

I still fail to see complete normal specs on the web.

rugged9.jpg
    800 x 616 - 82K
  • I will try to find the JVC booth today (it's early morning in Las Vegas as I write this).

Olympus does not have a floor booth instead they have private meeting rooms by appointment only.

• @edwardm Could you please ask about the stabilizer - is it mechanical or digital?

• If this thing really can produce 600fps in decent quality on 1080p than my jaw will literally fall off. Is it really possible that a 1000$ camera can achieve such a level of high-speed filming. I thought we were still years away of anything remotely affordable in the high-speed camera segment...

• it jas begunn, the 1080p50fps era, where you at Canon? 720p50fps

• I'm sure the 600fps is at lower resolution....120fps at 720p is my guess, and 600fps is at 480p or lower.

• The high speed recording has been a benchmark for the top of the line JVC GC-PX10 and now with the new GC-PX100 I would think they have advanced a bit on the technology. They specifically are going for the sports recording crowd. The new features make it a very useful camera for fast moving events:

Five shooting speeds are available, ranging from 120fps to 600fps, easily selected using a dial conveniently located next to the lens. It’s also possible to grab bursts of nine still images from video at the touch of a button, similar to what can be done using the motor drive on an SLR still camera. Other shooting modes for capturing action include high-speed digital still recording at up to 60fps and variable speed time-lapse recording. Zoom Position Memory, ideal for analyzing sports plays, allows quick switching among three angles of view — Full Wide, Full Tele, and a user-settable position in between. Go from full field team formation analysis to a tight shot of a goal being scored, with instant switching of focus, zoom and exposure.

• I hope JVC uses the "Sony FS700" aproach with the higher framerates, keeping resolution but limiting in recording length (there are some visual costs here aswell, but still..). If so this can be a very attractive camera. Also curious about how good the stabilizing is, and if it features (live) hdmi.

• This COULD be a very interesting option for shooting events with multiple cameras, if priced right (and if it looks good).. Not just sports.

I´d like to know if the camera can send live view via wifi (at what framerate / resolution?), if there´s a clean hdmi output..

• Anyone knows what's the lens total f.stop? From f1.2 to? I mean it cannot be constant f.1.2... that would be to beautiful to be real!

Here's a foto but it's too blurred for me to read out :(

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/581/392/html/jvc02.jpg.html

• This foto just states F:1.2 after this it has 48mm filter diameter

• More photos from this Japanese source

laing9.jpg
    794 x 592 - 72K
    laing10.jpg
    797 x 594 - 71K
    laing11.jpg
    794 x 592 - 61K
    laing12.jpg
    795 x 592 - 63K
    laing15.jpg
    794 x 592 - 69K
    laing13.jpg
    794 x 593 - 81K
    laing14.jpg
    795 x 592 - 74K
  • Man this looks like a cool little camera! I hope the image lives up to the look of it so far. So far it looks like the most well thought out JVC consumer cam. They had some really nice designs in the past but the image wasn't as good as the cam looked.

• Wonder when they will come clean of the real recording resolutions. If it is another postage stamp sized hi-speed image then it will suck. Or maybe they have a 1080p sized image but its skipping lines creating bad quality.

If it really is a true 600fps HD camera that has a buffer for 2-3 seconds at that speed it will be the milestone camera of the year. Hope it is! Phantom and Other Hi Speed cameras will still have their place but for film makers looks like the time has arrived. FS 700 was just a teaser of what was possible.

Hi Speed starts to get real interesting at 500fps+

• 720p @ 120fps - if it looks nice, great.

Lens appears to be 1.2-2.8 (approx 28 - 300 equiv)

Fun camera if the images are clean.

• "720p @ 120fps - if it looks nice, great. Lens appears to be 1.2-2.8 (approx 28 - 300 equiv)."

I do not understand the fuss - the Panasonic FZ200 does 720p@120fps and the lens is f2.8 25-600mm (f2.8 all the way).

• Because FZ200 offers widder (24x) range of zoom, but PX100 offers only 10x of optical magnification - something must be wrong in bhphotovideo specs- every source everywhere claims that lens is 29,4-294mm constant f.1.2 , not f.1.2-2.8

• There must be something wrong in these specs. If the sensor is really 1/2.3", and if the camera has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 29.4 - 294mm, then the real focal length can't be 3.3 - 33.3mm. That would match with a sensor of about 1/4". IOW, the real focal length should be something like 5.5 - 55mm -- IF that's really a 1/2.3" sensor. And by the way, a constant f.1.2? No way! But this camera has a really interesting form factor and size, can't wait to see some serious tests...

• Some videos: