Personal View site logo
1 line resolution hack
  • Would it be possible to hack a camera to only record a 1 pixel horisontal line, but at a very high speed??

thx Morten

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I doubt it, at least not in AVCHD mode. Altering the AVCHD frame size was much sought after by anamorphic junkies but sadly only the the MJPEG mode has a scalable frame size, not sure if 1 pixel height is possible though.

Why, if I may ask?

• Also not possible because AVCHD uses macroblocks, which results in a minimum height of 8 pixels when in 4:2:0 color mode.

• Maybe do it in post. Record normally, then just do something in your editor that makes everything black except that 1 pixel line

• Thanks. Its for an artsy project where the camera act as a scanner. A high framerate (at least 120fps) is needed, and I thought that it might be possible with a lower pixel count as the camera doesn't have to handle that much data. Blocks of 8 pixel would be ok, if they can be stacked horisontally... Right know it's being done in post, but without the required framerate, and with a huge amount of data! (filming several hours)

Best M

• artiswar: Mpeg would be fine, I think.

• So, I downloaded the GH2 firmware hack, and it seems I can change the MPEG resolution to 1920x240 px (yay), and there is also an experimental framerate setting. Has anyone tried lowering the pixelcount and increasing the framerate??? (I dont have a camera to test)

thanks and happy new year M

• The hardware in the GH2 will not output anything higher than 60fps.

• Thanks - also for MPEG mode? PTools has an MPEG fps option, that goes all the way up to 160 fps, with a heavy line skipping warning.

best, M

• Don't know what kind of scanner you want to do, but last year we did some 3D scanning using a beamer projecting a video with a red line going from top to bottom of the screen, and a cheap webcam with a small software to interpret the deformation of the line on the object (the soft also needed a pattern of spots on the wall behind the object to be calibrated)

Later on we did it with a kinect, and it was much, much easier

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions