Personal View site logo
Highest quality hack?
  • I've been away for a bit.

Is it still Canis Majora series? Or is it Apocalypse now or 444 or GH3onaGH2?

Anyone give a short answer? I know its complicated, but I just want the most detailed image, file size be damned (I have plenty of 64gb sandisk ultra cards). Reliability and playback also secondary to simply the best image quality.

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • Apocalypse Now 'Intravenus' v2

• That's the consensus from everyone? So just skip the GH3 on a GH2?

• On the looks of it, they are quite different cameras. Once the BMCC (mFT) arrives, I'll be adding the GH3 as a B-Cam, and the GH2 as backup. Hopefully the GH3 will be hacked by the time the BMCC comes...I think Vitaliy has plenty of time :)

• I meant the hack named " GH3onaGH2", not the GH3 camera...I don't have money for that, simply looking for the best quality hack on the GH2 I already have.

• i second driftwoods IntraVenus.

It is marvelous! I just shot a short on it and it is just so detailed, considering the fine grain and colors that you could mistake it for a very expensive camera :)

just make sure your sd card can handle it. I recommend the sandisk 32gb 45mb/s - that gets you almost 30mins of rec time.

• Tried 'em all. Flowmotion still the overall best for picture and reliability. Really, an outstanding piece of work.

• I liked what I saw of IntraVenus so far. And I have the 64gb 95mb/s cards so its no problem.

• @fatpig I'm curious about IntraVenus now. Did you ever try the different Canis Majoris and compare?

• I'm not as interested in computer screen comparisons...when I was testing CM vs previous, I saw the difference on a 50" plasma...that's where you can really compare, not on a 20" LCD screen.

• Just shot some footage with IntraVenus v2...doesn't look quite as good as CM...missing a little bit of that "wow" factor. My test wasn't exactly technical (just played clips one after another on a 50" plasma). Did notice that the IntraVenus bitrate was much lower (around 90), whereas the CM hacks were at minimum 140mb/s and usually around 170-180mb/s. Does this have anything to do with it?

• @defier Upload your test shot/screen grab which you use for your plasma. Dropbox share two (or 3) files of the same subject recorded for 10 secs each - one Intravenus v2 and one CM, and maybe try Low Rider v3. I'd be interested to measure the three mts files of the same subject you use to judge on your plasma. pm me when done.

• @defier The GH3onaGH2 setting looks really great for documentaries. If I was doing docs, that would be my go to. It all comes down to testing and finding what settings produce the type of image you like.

• Thanks for the assistance. I'm going to do a new test more scientific (same subject in same location, my previous comparison was not really uniform, different subject, different day with different lighting). Is Intravenus v2 set up for Cinema mode? Or Standard? I usually shoot standard -2 everything. Can the difference in quality result from this?

• I've had very good results with FlowMotion but I must admit I'm tempted to try Intra-venus.

• @defier Use Cinema Mode 24p and try Smooth and Standard picture settings.

• I'll be the odd man out. I think best quality, most filmic image you can get out of the GH2 is the Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' 12/15 GOP (DREWnet) with cbrandin '444 Soft Matrix' using the Cinema profile at 0, -2, 0, -2.

• 12/15 GOP would not be Intra? I need something that can capture fast action as well.

My preliminary tests for IntraVenus V2 are showing Dynamic to produce better quality image than both Smooth and Standard. Both before and after grading. Smooth is actually the dullest looking and I have to adjust contrast a bit to come close to standard/dynamic.

I was not shooting in dynamic mode before, but now IntraVenus v2 dynamic (-2 everything) looks about as good as CM. Hard to tell the difference.

• I'm still on Sedna 'A' myself. What CM setting are you guys using as an all-around? I used the CM Night one for some low-light stuff, but then I always flash back to Sedna after.

Are you all using IntraVenus V1 or V2?

• @Oedipax, I prefer Intravenus V1 because Intravenus V2 has artifacts around edges of objects in HBR mode.

• @defier

The DREWnet patch is not Intra, but that actually is part of what provides the better image quality. Fast or slow action makes no difference, this patch can handle it without artifacts. Intra might be easier to edit, but won't by itself provide a better image. In fact, the general rule is that all else being equal, you need twice the bitrate for Intra to match the quality of 12/15 GOP. Which means an Intra patch capable of better than 180 Mb/s. I don't think there is such a patch out there yet.

• @fatpig "I recommend the sandisk 32gb 45mb/s"

The 45mb/s sandisks are notorious for issues with some of the higher bit rate patches. I had one for awhile and returned it to sandisk in exchange for a 95mb/s card. Even the 30mb/s cards out perform the 45mb/s cards. Not trying to rain on your choice, if it is working for you great, but in general people should steer clear of these cards, especially if they are using higher end patches like CM, Sedna, Seaquake, Lowrider, etc.. etc...

• @Driftwood, has anything surpassed CM night for low light yet?

PS when it warms up, I am taking a small army of your patches out on a well lit day for side by side real world testing. If you have a list for night testing, I can do that too, somewhere purdy like Shibuya perhaps.

• @Jim_Simon, I vaguely remember conversations about double bitrate for Intra, but from all the conclusions and tests I thought it was universally accepted that quality boost was worth the double bitrate? I also remember plenty of talks about Higher GOP causing lower quality in high-motion (sports) settings. I'm no expert, but seems Intra was the way to go for a while now.