Personal View site logo
Monster phones
  • I'm not usually an impulse buyer, but I was leafing through the green shoots of Pandawill looking for maybe a tablet after seeing posts from @Vitaliy about their 720p displays. And you know, it is pretty amazing all the high tech stuff on that site. So I saw this phone with a 720p display with a monster 5.7 inch screen. They have 6" ones, but not 720p. I was looking to buy the new Lenovo quad core phone, but it is very expensivem and the Nexus 4 is minimum 2 month wait, so I'm giving this a try. http://www.pandawill.com/mobile-phone-c1/android-os-phone-c551.html?sizes=235

It is completely impractical of course, but it is smaller than the Catleap. Too bad no HDMI input!

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • Do you think that they are handy?

May be better get on ebay Galaxy Note? :-)

• I should have sprung for the note......

• I've got an HTC One X, got 4 cores (and a fifth one too! For power saving) with a massive screen. But it didn't take me long before the 4.7" screen started to feel small and I was wishing I had something bigger...

• @IronFilm

Where is your phone?
    In the backpack.
    Why?
    It is new and improved Galaxy 13, 10000x10000 screen resolution, 12" screen two subwoofers and only 2kg total weight, they even include this amazing backpack for free!
    I see.

• Blow me down - another monster phone joke ;-)

Airport check-in clerk: " You can carry on your laptop and your umbrella, but you're going to have to check in your phone."

Mae West: "Is that a phone you've got in your pocket or ..."

• Got the phone today, very nice, 2 working sim slots so I can use my German and US sims at the same time, Jellybean 4.1, 720p screen. Screen is huge. Seems identical in quality to the Samsung Vibrant, but doesn't have the richness of the later Samsung super AMOLED like the Samsung Infuse which is a great phone. Other plusses: Monster 3200 mah battery, and 5 bars reception indoors, holy cow. Videos look great on the 720p screen. Can't say for your $200 you would not be better off with a Nexus 4, but they are wait listed, and this is a lot bigger, of course.

• @DrDave

Tell us how it goes - and which one you chose. From the url you posted I learned that the new portmanteau (name) for the monster phone is the phablet.

I also found out that other meaning for "portmanteau".

This phablet has its own PostCode

• POLICEMAN to motorist: "I pulled you over because you were talking on your phone while driving."

MOTORIST: "I wasn't talking on a phone. It was a calculator."

• Isn't technology supposed to get 'smaller' and 'less obtrusive'? Someone missed the memo here! Don't get me wrong- I love tablets... but I think that Phablets have a short shelf life.

• @alcomposer It could be a practical size, say for the tablet user who doesn't want to carry around a phone as well?

Then, celebrity-placement marketing can make such things appealing to a target market. What if they got George Cluny to do a busy executive dude ad at a terrace café ? He smiles at a passing cutie-pie, then his Samsung phablet rings. "Bugger," George shrugs to himself and the girl as he raises the phablet to his ear...

Naah, doesn't do it for me but maybe the girls? Well how about Teens? Nerds? Busy mothers? hello somebody will buy them. They're so useful !

People wear crocs, don't they? What shelf life did we give those fugly plastic shoes when they first came out?.

• This thing is nice because it is smaller than a tablet, and has two sims. Plus a really big battery and 720p. Whatever, it's all junk. Enjoying jellybean, big upgrade.

• @DrDave You could always use a hands free to make calls (blue tooth, even, with that big battery). I see there are some not-so-junky phablets too. What probably matters most is how it fits into your lifestyle over time.

• I just thought the point of a phone was to fit in your pocket?? Phablets need their own carry bags! But seriously when did the coolness of tech become: bigger is better??? Suppose the new Macpro is going to be the iMainframe: it only takes up the footprint of one room!

• the point of a phone was to fit in your pocket?

Instead, try to think of the phablet as a small tablet. That helps ;-)

• Well, one thing for sure is I can for the first time type with my fingers on my phone. Just wish it had HDMI out.

• @DrDave

Slightly off-topic re Android keyboards:

There's a keyboard application which is so fast and intuitive it should be part of the operating system.

Right now I'm typing deliberately haphazardly on my phone ignoring the spelling errors. Just now I typed "it id so fadt and intuitivr it shouls be part of the operatinh sydtrm" and it all got fixed automatically for me, predicting whole words in advance; eg I type "operatinh" and it suggests "system."

It also lets me type in my other languages with no changeover whatever.

We live in exciting times. I hope you understand the way I feel I've gotta laugh at the phablet size. But I won't be the one to predict it's demise based on some coolness factor.

(pm me for the keyboard application name)

• I can't believe the reception I get with this thing. It must have an antenna a meter long in its mortal coil.

phablet.jpg
    1821 x 2043 - 446K
  • @DrDave You have to charge the phone every day? And the German customs added tax?

• No tax, but I live in US and play in an orchestra in Germany. Battery is gigantic and it comes with two. Actually, the dual sim implementation in Android Jellybean is super trick. Totally amazing and seamless. You can configure both sims anyway you want, and receive calls and text messages on both sims. You don't have to get a jumbo phone, there are some 4.5 inch retina displays as well. Amazed at the reception I am getting, they should advertise it as "you don't need to go outside to make a phone call". Have not tried 3G in Germany yet, since I am in US right now.

• After using this phone for a while, I can say the dual sim option is very cool and well supported by software. 720p jumbo screen is great. Surfing the net is great--phone is quite zippy compared to my single core--OK, there is occasionally a trace of lag but it is surprisingly zippy, and it looks like I can overclock it. Was able to root the phone no problem. Skype works with video, and the newer Android flavor is very impressive. Angry birds: big angry birds.

You can use the camera to unlock the phone with face recognition, even with a blink signal so it won't work with a photo, if you can imagine a scenario where someone would unlock your phone with a photo.

As far as battery life goes, the huge battery really gives good service. I was expecting the thing to drain the battery, owing to the big screen, and that seems to help. Construction is surprisingly good. Only down side is the slick edges and back, which making it easy to drop, and the lack of case option in this size. Also wish it had HDMI out, but hey, for $230 this is an awesome phone if you want 720p, dual sim, long battery life, great inddor reception and giant screen.