Personal View site logo
Good cheap SDHC for hacked cameras
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • I use a transcend class 10 with my gh1. I am running the Blackout-Ipowell patch and i normally get about 50mbps so my card is fine, but i have read reviews about ones that are duds. For anyone that got a dud, how likely is is that you will get one?
  • I've had no problems with ADATA class 10 cards -- they seem to easily go over 4 gigs -- once recorded a 2 hour interview on one no problem. Transcend good too. Good prices at B&H.
  • @Nic
    Just remember, if a 32gig card crashes, you lose 32 gig of footage. I rarely use more than 8 gig for that reason. ymmv.
  • 32Gb on the stock GH2 will get you about 3 hours.
  • I am considering the 32Gb for live event, where it will be an advantage not to have to change the card, but I actually dont know how much space the avchd codec is requiring, of cause that depends on what resolution and bitrate I choose. I will have a camera in a week, then --i can start to experiment :-)
  • +1 for Transcend class 10 cards. As with all storage, a card WILL fail at some point. The key is to have a backup solution in place and a good warranty. Transcend cards have a lifetime warranty.

I stick to 16gb cards for a few reasons:
    * Same price/gb as 32gb card (~$1.50/gb) (no savings going with the bigger card)
    * Multiple cards can be used in multiple cameras
    * If a card fails, I don't lose as much (only 16gb and not 32gb) and I still have another card to use
    * Limited recording time keeps me thinking about what I'm shooting, which results in less footage to sift through in post
  • is there any difference in the reliability of a 32gb card and a 16Gb card?
  • Does the Transcend Class 10 go past the 4GB limit and at what mbps?
  • I have the 32GB patriot LX, and its doesn't go past the 4GB limit at 42mbps.
  • Thx for answering, meanwhile I fund this review about the GH1 and recommended memory cards:

http://www.youtube.com/user/eyepatchentertainmen#p/search/3/FFggndkzClM

He recomends Scandisk, Panasonic Gold Class, and Patriot LX , while he is warning about Transcend claiming that the quality of the cards vary...

Anyhow I fell a little wiser now :)

• +1 for transcend class 10
  • @Nic

If you buy it from reputable seller like B&H.
  • How can you verify if the scandisk is original, if you buy it online, is it enough to trust a known seller as eg. bhphotovideo.com/' or Adorama?
  • I tried to find a SanDisk Extreme at the local Fry's Electronics, but they didn't stock them. So, I opted for a PNY Class 10 cheapy, which works great. And unlike the other cheap card I had lying around (a Kingston Class 10 Ultimate X 100x), the PNY actually works past the 4 GB limit and creates a new file. The Kingston Class 10 Ultimate X always crashes at the 4 GB limit.
  • Thanks Vitaliy - should I shoot for a minimum read/write speed?
  • Transcend Class 10 is cheapest reliable card.
    SanDisk must be real one, as many false one exists due to higher price of this brand.