Personal View site logo
Suggestions for Best Camera + Lens for ~$1K
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @Peter123456, I've definitely been considering the Panny 20mm, and at this point, I think I'm trying to decide between that, and the Leica 25mm. Would a Nikon 50mm be too tight on the GH2's cropped sensor?

• @jsteg094, I recommend the GH2 and the panny 20mm. You could also squeeze in a Nikon 50mm and Nikon adapter, all for around $1,000.

• You're both completely right, and I should've mentioned that I mainly shoot short films, so I'm going for a very cinematic aesthetic. The thing I really liked about the TV Lenses were that they have a constant aperture, which would be great for low-light. But, it seems as though they're not worth the trouble. Zooming isn't crucial, it would just be nice.

The most important things I'm looking for is a fast aperture, and a very cinematic look.

• You haven't said anything about what you plan to shoot.

Old TV zoom lenses are hit and miss. Some are excellent for specific kinds of shooting, but you'll spend a lot of time and money trying to figure out which ones are. None of them completely cover the GH2's sensor, so you'll need to use ETC mode, or crop in post and take the resulting loss in resolution. Their real advantage is the smooth zooming you can get as a result of their constant f-number and focus (they are parfocal). They also have larger zoom ratios than full-frame photographic zoom lenses. If you don't care about zooming during video shooting, you'll be just as well off with a Micro Four Thirds zoom or full-frame zoom lens.

• The question here is, what are you shooting, what do you want to do, and what aesthetic are you going for?

There isn't an end all be all here.