Personal View site logo
The Hobbit, Opinions
  • 67 Replies sorted by
  • No three hour movie should ever been given any editing credit.

• It was awful. Not enough story for 1.5hrs let alone the ridiculous 3hrs I spent watching it. HFR made the whole thing look like a diorama. And indoor shots in small spaces made it look like a cheap tv show (lighting? Color?)

48fps did make the fast 3d scenes at least watchable.

• @AKED
    +1000, haa, haa DOL

• @B3Guy --- Just seen the HFR 4K 3D in Oxford. Spot on with everything in your post. My family noticed that things you'd expect to have weight looked too light. For me the major issue was the slowness of progression and the overly long chase sequences.

• I had the opportunity for HFR, but got the 24fps version ticket. The film was mostly ok, but very strangely, in the panning shots in the beginning (daylight scene, grass and nature and people walking around) there was extreme stuttering. seems to me they shot those at 1/100th shutter or higher. really bad. almost impossible to see anything.

luckily there were not many of these shots.

• @B3Guy

That comparison with outdoor helicopter shots sounds about right. If so, I wonder what can be done to fix the scenery & make up in future productions?

• I just saw the 48fps, and it was 4K. No Dolby, though. The cold, lifeless nature of it is no fault of the 48fps, the 3D or the 4K! Set building materials, lighting and makeup have a VERY long way to go before they are realistic at these frame rates and resolutions. That is why the film seemed so fake, not because of the 48fps 3D tech. The outdoor helicopter shots looked immaculate . . . because they were filming real landscapes. The closeups looked fake because they were. You're seeing makeup, not peoples' faces, and it is obvious . . . just like the styrofoam rocks. 3D 4K has this strange way of revealing contrived lighting, too. It is so easy to see where a light source is coming from.

• Word is out that Friday night screenings have broken all-time records. Go figure.

(Then of course the typical cinema goer was overweight, dressed in a track suit and thought the movie was "cool" - but also thought Shirley Temple was a building). ;-)

• Only because you mention it. Do you know how The lord of the ring should have ended? Have a

Sorry for the OT but I could not resist :-)

• I saw the 48p "Real 3D" 2k version (alas, no 4k shown in any local cinema).

I liked the 48p aspect - it definitly helped to have smooth movements and pans where I use to see very disturbing staggering in 24p movies (except when watching them on interpolating TVs). To me 48p neither looks "cheap" nor unnatural. I also liked the colors, neither too saturated, nor excessively desaturated as in already too many "post apocalyptic" movies of today.

I still don't like the 3D offered in cinemas - the channel separation is simply not good enough, so I see very distracting "ghost images" at every high-contrast edge. Those ghost images ruined a lot of scenes for me.

Regarding 2k: It's good enough when you can freely choose your distance from the screen, but sitting in the 9th row of the cinema, the screen was still to big to see a sharp image at 2k, and this was also quite disturbing.

What was really impressive: The rendering of Gollum and other creatures. Those creatures are not really recognizeable as artificial anymore - great!

I watched the Hobbit solely for the technical aspects, I didn't expect a clever or interesting plot, and there wasn't any. What exactly kept the magician from calling his feathered friends right at the beginning and have them deliver his team directly to the lonely mountain? Never mind. They really could have spared me the singing, though...

• 3D depth perception can vary quite a bit from person to person, that's why some people don't see the benefit in 3D.
    If you want 2D HFR, you could always make your own glasses so both eyes see the same image.

The story itself was just average for me, but I liked LOTR far more as a book more than the Hobbit.
    The sound was excellent, I have never heard such clarity and imaging in a mix. The 3D I found fantastic, when Thoren stepped in from back of the screen I was about to ask what I thought was another patron in the cinema to sit down, because he was in the way of the screen. And the multitude of layering in the goblin city was very nice. I'm in two minds about HFR, it definitely give it a more lifelike presentation, as they say looking out through a window. I've never seen so much detail in a film before, what with deeper depth of field that comes with being a 3D filming, to the 4K presentation and the doubling in temporal resolution. I felt like I was watching a stage performance. It seems to remove the dreamy character of film. I really didn't like it for the first half of the movie. But by the second half of the film I had either adjusted or it might be because there were so many fast action sequences, you can actually see what is happening. The Transformer movies would really benefit from being 48fps. HFR may not be the best for everything, but it has it's uses. I wonder what it would be like to mix 24fps and 48fps in the same film.

• I was a little disappointed. Within the first 5 minutes I thought, "My god this looks like HD TV." Everything looked cheap. I didn't care for the color grading, it looked to golden and bright. It wasn't until they got underground and it got darker that it started to look right.

I think I'm officially done with 3D. After seeing the 3D vs 2D of various movies, it just doesn't offer that much more for the extra ticket cost.

People are going to have to invent new techniques to get HFR to look right. Defenitely by the third movie they'll have it down, but I just wish they'll offer a non 3D HFR.

• I remember a similar event when Yamaha launched the DX synths .... similarities :)

• I saw it tonight in 3D 48fps and I really enjoyed it, even though lots of people are pissing on the hobbit bonfire. Yes, they are stretching out the original story, but it wasn't as light as I though it was going to be.

Totally agree with the comments from @oscillian, especially the goblin fight scene, that was the weakest part of the film for me. Dunno why Saruman was in this film, apart from saying hello

The sound was superb, it had some real depth to it.

Gollum's character was really impressive, what a big difference to the previous films.

My eyes weren't tired afterwards, like they are with other 3D films

• Saw it in 24p 2D. Will go back and see the 48p 3D soon.

I actually liked the slow startup in the Shire. Gandalf is as good as eleven years ago and Bilbo carries the main part nicely! Felt like being back in middle earth again.

Things started to get bad once the talking trolls showed up and the CGI-fest started. I prefer my monsters to be all roars and grunts ;)

Rivendell: Elrond works OK but Galadriel and Saruman felt very add-on and the story doesn't have the same weight to it as LOTR. It's a much simpler story spread over too much bread, so to speak.

Gollum is spectacular! Story-, acting- and tech-wise the Riddles in the dark-section is the strongest part of the movie. Scary as hell!

Goblin city on the other hand is very boring with no sense of danger at all. Just a CGI roller coaster with a very "meh" Goblin King. The show down with Gandalf is just ridiculous.

The main Orch villain is also not very convincing being too CGI. I prefer rubber suits with some character!

But I hope as Bilbo says in the end: "The worst is behind us".

• I watched it at 48fps 3D and liked it. Think it's a better start at telling the story then LOTR was. I enjoyed the smoother feel and it's the first time 3D hasn't given me a headache.

• @alcomposer how can I forget!? I'm a Derrick, and Derrick's dont run! Been so long since I've seen that. I think Feebles might be up for review, but in college I watched it so many times I actually got sick of it.

• Yes, the 4K HFR-3D is rare in Europe... all 2K HFR over here..

• @Mimirsan Thanks

OK, I got the information for Germany now. I saw the HFR (48fps) 3D 2K version.

There will be NO HFR 4k 3D version in Germany.

In January, there will be in another Cinema the HFR 4k version but in 2D. That is what I wanted to know.

• @AKED There is the following formats for the hobbit

48fps 3D (aka HFR 3D) 24P 3D 24P 2D

2k/4K is dependending on if your cinema does 2k/4k projection. It has nothing to do with the above settings

• Saw 3D 24fps. Well there was more jokes than in LOTR series, but I enjoyed the movie very much. Top quality in every aspect, especially visually.

• @ordipax Yes, that was clear, but still thanks.
    My question is: is 4k automatically HFR?

I am confused how many versions are there seemingly (maybe I am wrong, please correct me if so): 2k-2D-24p, 2k-3D 24p, 4k-3D-48p, 4k-2D-48p? Any more or less?

• Just watch the 1977 animated The Hobbit.

• @robmneilson you forgot Bad Taste...